Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Speed Zone > Historic
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #21

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta28 View Post
Haven't had much time to sort photos, but here's a taster...
The Monaco 36 at Torquay (Number 11) - can you be so kind as to name the boat please ?

Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #22

Interests: Le Mans Power Boats GOODWOOD Revival
Boat name: THUNDERBOLT 1961 COWES TORQUAY WINNER
Boat make: CHRISTINA 25
Engines: 2 5 litre Chevrolets total 440 hp
Cruising area: Solent

Monaco

Hi Martin
the Monaco 36 is Louly owned by Derek McClarron and has recently been restored . She is kept in Torquay
She is also 50 yrs old as Tbolt...
we gave her 11 as that was M Giles race no and she is almost identical to one of his first entries.

Mike

THUNDERBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #23

Louly

Really nice boat. Really nice guy who owns it...

Great to meet you Derek and say hi to Barry ..(Manilow!)

..also goes by the name of Alan Perriam. Another really nice local.

Now his boat (Tornado, 23' 6" Christina) was in a worse state than mine...Now she's the fantastic "Party Boat". Very good to meet you both, want to come back soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 028 (Medium).jpg
Views:	288
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	26321   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 125 (Medium).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	26322   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 128 (Medium).jpg
Views:	241
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	26323   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 131 (Medium).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	26324  
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #24

Concours Winner

Winner of the COPOC / MDL Classic Revival Rally "Concours d'Elegance" was Felix and Wanda McHenry's "Frivola"...

Taking-part in the 1964 Cowes-Torquay, this 33' Fairey Swordsman is lovingly cared-for in every detail, right down to the on-deck herb garden!

Congratulations Felix and Wanda... and a big thankyou to the Fairey Owner's Club for such a good turn-out in rather trying conditions

Last picture shows a good one of the cruise ship... and there's one behind that can carry a few people too..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 031 (Medium).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	26325   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 032 (Medium).jpg
Views:	254
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	26326   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 123 (Medium).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	26327   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 122 (Medium).jpg
Views:	261
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	26328   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 126 (Medium).jpg
Views:	265
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	26329  

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 039 (Medium).jpg
Views:	260
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	26330  
Old 02-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #25

A close runner-up in the concours and a great favourite of mine is Tim Seward's Levi-designed 27' "Blue Corsair"

It was very difficult to compare older, well looked-after boats with this relatively (2002) new one... though that's still eight years of the corrosive effects of salt water, damaging sunlight and general wear-and-tear... she looks brand-new!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 060 (Medium).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	26331   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 061 (Medium).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	26332   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 C-T-C by IFS 011 (Medium).jpg
Views:	412
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	26333   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 C-T-C by IFS 013 (Medium).jpg
Views:	248
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	26334  
Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Really nice boat. Really nice guy who owns it...

Great to meet you Derek and say hi to Barry ..(Manilow!)

..also goes by the name of Alan Perriam. Another really nice local.

Now his boat (Tornado, 23' 6" Christina) was in a worse state than mine...Now she's the fantastic "Party Boat". Very good to meet you both, want to come back soon!
Those are some great pix - I remember the Morgan Giles Monaco's, & thats an early one, a 36.
Later on they built longer ones, & also a (shorter) 27 footer too.

That Christina (Tornado) - its been "converted" to a format thats rather un-Christina like. Might it be based at Weymouth, for I belive several are used there for fishing, off the 'Bill.

I will see you & get some prints of TQ, plus, if I may, one of Paper Tiger - thats one smart boat now - better than new IMHO !
Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
That Christina (Tornado) - its been "converted" to a format thats rather un-Christina like. Might it be based at Weymouth, for I belive several are used there for fishing, off the 'Bill.
I believe Alan is based in Teignmouth... He's done a brilliant restoration. When i first saw Tornado, I thought she was new aswell..!

I'll burn you a CD, if you like. My camera does great stuff close-up and is easy to use (it has a good Leica lens) but fairly useless at sea..!
Old 02-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #28

Quote:
I believe Alan is based in Teignmouth... He's done a brilliant restoration. When i first saw Tornado, I thought she was new aswell..!

I'll burn you a CD, if you like. My camera does great stuff close-up and is easy to use (it has a good Leica lens) but fairly useless at sea..!
That would be most kind - I owe you a drink then !
Old 02-09-2010, 08:37 PM   #29

Cheers for that!

I owe several drinks to Paul Fairall who took me and Lynne out on the "fly-past" around Torbay.

Paul's Huntsman 28 is of 1962 vintage and I think I'm right in saying, was once owned by Charles Currey. She raced in the '62 Cowes - Torquay.
Thankyou Paul...that made our week! ... another fantastic boat, lovingly looked-after. Give us a shout if you want a hand when the new engines go in..
Old 02-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #30

Paul's wonderful Huntsman..."Here and Now"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 011 (Medium).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	26337   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 117 (Medium).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	26338   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 127 (Medium).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	26339   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 129 (Medium).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	26340  
Old 02-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #31

A few more of the parade lap..

Just a few more pictures..!

Looks like those wartime MTB shots... prepare to attack..

Plus a nice one of the immaculate Miss Daisy..waiting for the others!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 089 (Medium).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	26344   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 084 (Medium).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	26345   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 071 (Medium).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	26346   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 068 (Medium).jpg
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	26347   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 041 (Medium).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	26348  

Old 03-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #32

If anyone has any good shots of Fairey Huntsman Playtime II '333' I'd like a copy. Sadly our camera has a big smudge on the lense and all out pics are blurred.

It was a great rally indeed, despite the awful weather, thanks of course go to Mike and John and COPOC for all their efforts.

But most of all, thanks to Wanda to helping me get a hotel room for 2 nights in such bloody awful weather, the cabin windows were leaking and my wife was getting fed up with being wet.

For me, Louly and Tornado were both great to see. Mike's done a fab job of Thunderbolt, a few little niggles and she'll be flying.

As ever, be careful with Felix Pimm's.
burgundyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #33

Here you go...

Sorry about the quality. Other ones' where we were at sea, I had to try and zoom due to the distances away and you only need a little movement... so some of my shots were blurred I'm afraid.

Maybe some of the proper photographers got some shots?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 027 (Medium).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	26423   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 027c (Large).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	26424   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 043c.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	26425  
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #34

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
The CTC has captured the interest of many threads with pictures but it's nice to see these old Ladies of the Offshore beautifully preserved and restored.
Congratulations to all participants in this Classic Rally in Torquay!!

BTW do you know something more of the Levi #17 ?
Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Tornado View Post
BTW do you know something more of the Levi #17 ?
Yes, its a Levi Corsair, built 2002, 'Blue Corsair', with a pair of KAD43's, it's very very fast. A Corsair wore 17 in the CT race many years ago so they wore 17 for the run.

Ourselves, Playtime II 333, Here and Now and Blue Corsair ran from Yarmouth down to Dartmouth on the Sunday before, spent a couple of days in the Dart then onto TQ.

I've had playtime for nearly ten years and I'm a dyed in the wood Fairey man, but I could be tempted by a Corsair.
burgundyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #36

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgundyben View Post
Yes, its a Levi Corsair, built 2002, 'Blue Corsair', with a pair of KAD43's, it's very very fast. A Corsair wore 17 in the CT race many years ago so they wore 17 for the run.

Ourselves, Playtime II 333, Here and Now and Blue Corsair ran from Yarmouth down to Dartmouth on the Sunday before, spent a couple of days in the Dart then onto TQ.

I've had playtime for nearly ten years and I'm a dyed in the wood Fairey man, but I could be tempted by a Corsair.
I strongly suspect that was one of the Corsair built from a vintage style design of Levi in recent years.
A very nice boat.
Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #37

The COPOC / MDL 50th C-T Revival Rally

Rear Commodore’s Report... Part One!

By now you must be heartily sick of my ramblings but someone’s got to tell the world...

Anyway, a forum thrives on input, so here it is...good, bad, or indifferent!

As you have no-doubt already seen, the 50th Cowes – Torquay COPOC / MDL Marina Developments Classic Revival Rally didn’t really get-off to an auspicious start... The weather had “other plans” for us...

The Rally was supposed to set-off from Cowes on Wednesday morning... Given the forecast, the official run down was cancelled. But some heroic skippers had already set-off from Cowes early in the morning and some of the more local boats had already arrived too. It was a wet, miserable afternoon – then the Red Arrow’s display was cancelled due to the low cloud. Great. Effing Marvellous...

However, we were brightened-up by the welcome at the Royal Torbay Yacht Club. A few drinks and a chance to warm-up and exchange views made a world of difference. Shame about the squelching..

We returned to this worthy institution for our Reception in the evening. A “Finger Buffet” that was so lavish it was definitely a “knife and fork” job...possibly also requiring a butcher’s meat cleaver! A measure of how hard Mike James had been pushing himself to get Thunderbolt there came when he told me that this was the first decent meal he’d had in a fortnight! Yet he only looked mildly exhausted...Then, halfway through the evening some people in red flight suits came and joined us... The Red Arrows pilots had come to say hello... which was nice...

At the end of the evening, having prized / levered / hauled wayward wives off intelligent, witty, good-looking young men (though one was a girlie!) in their red flight suits (I now have firm instructions to get a red boiler suit...but somehow I don’t think I’ll have the same effect) we trudged back to the alleged grandeur of the Imperial Hotel. Tomorrow had to be better...surely ?(..and don’t call me Shirley)
Old 04-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #38

Rear Commodore's Report Part 2...

Thursday morning was cold, dull and overcast - but positively tropical, compared to the day before! The boats looked quite impressive moored alongside the Haldon Pier..Our thanks to the Harbour Master for the hospitality and the prime location...

The parade of boats, postponed from the day before, was rather majestic.. a sort of sedate “burn-up” round our end of the bay and a good photo opportunity. The classic boats at speed were a wonderful sight, headed by Thunderbolt, the 1961 Cowes – Torquay winner! Well done Mike..you made it!! In fact, well done to all the owners and crew who turned-up, no matter what, for without you supporting this event we’d have looked pretty silly and it would have been a “bit of a flop”!

One of the most difficult tasks that I have undertaken for the club was to assist with the judging of the Concours Trophy. All the boats entered were of a very high standard, lovingly cared-for and special in different ways. Proud owners showed us into spotless cabins and engine room floors you could “eat your breakfast from”...but we had to make a call and for overall welcome, hospitality, gardening skills, condition for her age (the boat, not Wanda!), the attention to detail and making Uncle Albert AND Captain Birdseye feel inadequate, we awarded the COPOC 50th Cowes-Torquay Revival Rally Concours d’Elegance Trophy to “Frivola”! Congratulations to Felix and Wanda McHenry... The Isle of Man and Isle of Wight (and the Fairey Owner’s Club) will be proud of you. You obviously care a great deal for that splendid vessel and it shows!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #39

Thunderbolt...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 100 (Medium).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	26437   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 082c (Medium).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	26438   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 075 (Medium).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	26439   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Torquay Rally IFS 099 (Medium).jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	26440  
Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #40

Pt 3..

Thursday evening and time for the Gala Dinner and a Charity Auction to raise funds for “Help for Heroes”

We were privileged to welcome Dag Pike as our Guest of Honour, aboard Thunderbolt in the day and at the Imperial in the evening. He gave an excellent speech, regaling us with tales of past races. What particularly stuck in the mind was the vision of him navigating for Fabio Buzzi who, after making a mistake with not switching-over fuel tanks, drove slightly furiously to make-up time for the rest of the race... visions of Cesa 1882 at 110+mph..! (didn’t want those fillings, anyway..) Needless to say, they won. Nice one, Dag. Great Speech. Your support and interest are much appreciated.

There was a nice touch from John Iddon and ‘Trina: naming the tables after the first ten Cowes - Torquay winners, rather than just using numbers... A special thankyou must go to Charles Lawrence for the excellent Entrant’s List and Update, together with a very special Commemorative Menu. Dinner was taken and more speeches made, then followed some excellent (and sometimes outrageous) bidding at the auction – especially for the fantastic autographed Red Arrows picture! Thanks go to all the people who raised funds for our chosen charity. At the last tally it was in the region of £4000.00 ..Well Done!!

Alcoholic beverages were consumed (reshponshibly) and I got the impression people enjoyed themselves... Overall I think we did our predecessors proud ... though if we go back, we’ll have to re-create the “racing down the stairs on tin trays” and get a shark for the swimming pool !

Apologies for the "photos"...unable to get scanner going again
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copoc Rally Lists 007 (Large).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	26446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copoc Rally Lists 005 (Large).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	26447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copoc Rally Lists 002c.jpg