Boatmad.com

Old 19-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #41

Can we go Back to Cuvs

Guys post some pics please

ufix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #42

Back TO CUV`s

Bear with it please.In order to answer `Cfun`s question ,info re similar hulls of the same family is posted due to lack of complete wt breakdowns from Italy.If you read all the previous posts you can see the historical tie up.With regards to pics of CUV`s there are tons of them in the Boatmad Gallery,admittedly it assumes you know what a CUV boat looks like and you know the name your seeking.To list them all on here would take some time.
Whilst posting this `cfun` I wonder where you get your lightship wts from ,as the wts I have seen in Italian mags don`t say how much fuel is included in the figures,so it can be misleading unless you do a like for like comparsion with other craft in the same condition.I think I can honestly say I have never seen published wt breakdowns for racing craft,so whether it`s Cougar,Cigarette,Stain,Apache,Phantom,Stapley etc etc each would be doing there own thing based on their family of boats,with the obvious data protection.

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #43

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

I do believe that the slight deviation from CUV to Don Shead and the people behind the projects to be very important, in order to understand the CUV it seems to me a great idea to gain as much knowledge as possible about the boats and idealisms that the team back then were trying to achieve from their boats/designs/materials and weights V strength stiffness etc which obviously have a strong baring on performance and I think it's exceptional good fortune to have someone like FF on Boatmad to talk to us with his huge knowledge and passion for these offshore legends which includes the people and the boats ... no people no boats

Quote:
"I wonder where you get your lightship wts from ,as the wts I have seen in Italian mags don`t say how much fuel is included in the figures,so it can be misleading unless you do a like for like comparsion with other craft in the same condition
" ... FF I must admit a lot of this info has come from various magazines over the years and some from chatting with the teams back in the 80's but as you point out not all is like for like as how much fuel taken into account is unknown
also my memory of chatting to some teams in the 80's has gone a bit hazy but I vaguely recall an Italian team saying their boat weighed in round 4500kg however this may have been because the class 1 min weight could have been that in the 80's meaning the boat was weighted
Old 20-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #44

Unowot...

Going back-in-time a bit more... I have a copy of "Boat World's" Powerboating Yearbook for 1975, which has a very interesting interview with Tim Powell, it's a good "driver's point-of-view":

The gist of it is.. TP was called-in to drive the 40' Planatec Uno-Embassy after Don Shead injured his back. After mechanical problems in the main '74 C-T-C, they got the "tin boat" (Unowot !) out... and never looked back. He said that, compared to the longer GRP hull, she was like a bullet... The longer hull, better for the rough stuff, was comfortable, but a luxury they couldn't afford - and that the ideal length was probably (for that period in time and with the engines then available) in the region of 35'-36'... something that was going to kill you in a rough race, but had the speed when it mattered...

I would assume it would be the same with the 40 ft vs the 35 ft Cigarettes... though i always liked the 37' Limit-up...

Let you get back to CUVs now... though i agree, this is important ancestry.
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #45

Shudda mentioned...

Sorry, should have mentioned Unowot is, of course, 37 ft
Ideal length for the time, in my humble opinion (Unowot, Limit-up, Ajac Hawk...). With more power available today, a longer hull can be contemplated and indeed would be a better-balanced, all-round excellent sea-keeping boat...!

Now, who do we know with a 40' Shead-designed boat...? would look great in yellow and white....
Old 20-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #46

Interests: Refit/Re-engine Woody's P18 and helping with D2S.
Boat name: Fugazi II / D2S
Boat make: Phantom 18 / Planatec 41'
Engines: 1xMercury XR2 / 2x 8.1ltr Chevys
Cruising area: Kent/Hampshire/Dorset Coasts

As far as I'm aware, the 37' Cigarette didn't appear in 'Limit Up' guise until the late '70's and then was repainted as 'Peter Stuyvesant' for the '80 season. The 37' when sold was fitted with a cabin, so I was told by one of the team.
My all time fave would be the 40' Cigarette. An ideal RB boat. IMHO.

Back to CUV's now!!!!
Graham.
SplitPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #47

Smile Alitalia Posters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufix1 View Post
Can we go Back to Cuvs

Here ya go... (These are photos of the posters...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alitalia_World_Champion 001bLwRes.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	18850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alitalia_NT_CTC 002bLwRes.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	18851   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlitaliaOffshore 005bLwRes.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	18852  
Old 28-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #48

Martini Posters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufix1 View Post
Can we go Back to Cuvs

Here's some photos of the Martini ones for you...

Afraid I haven't got the original, i.e. first one (1973 ciggy with the large spray deflector / rather ugly cowl) ..has anyone else?

Would also love to see the "very airborne" Limit-Up poster (never got my hands on one of those either!) where she looks as though she's jus' cleared a boatload of spectators...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DryMartini2 001bLwRes.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	18853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martini_Pilota-CoPilota 002bLwRes.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	18854   Click image for larger version

Name:	MartiniRacing 001bLwRes.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	18855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martini_Picchiotti 002bLwRes.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	18856  
Old 28-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta28 View Post
Going back-in-time a bit more... I have a copy of "Boat World's" Powerboating Yearbook for 1975, which has a very interesting interview with Tim Powell, it's a good "driver's point-of-view":

The gist of it is.. TP was called-in to drive the 40' Planatec Uno-Embassy after Don Shead injured his back. After mechanical problems in the main '74 C-T-C, they got the "tin boat" (Unowot !) out... and never looked back. He said that, compared to the longer GRP hull, she was like a bullet... The longer hull, better for the rough stuff, was comfortable, but a luxury they couldn't afford - and that the ideal length was probably (for that period in time and with the engines then available) in the region of 35'-36'... something that was going to kill you in a rough race, but had the speed when it mattered...

I would assume it would be the same with the 40 ft vs the 35 ft Cigarettes... though i always liked the 37' Limit-up...

Let you get back to CUVs now... though i agree, this is important ancestry.
I

I posted this early '06 -Scroll down for the article.

http://www.boatmad.com/forum/showthr...ght=tim+powell
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #50

Quote:
Here ya go... (These are photos of the posters...)
thanks man
Old 28-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #51

Quote:
Here's some photos of the Martini ones for you...

Afraid I haven't got the original, i.e. first one (1973 ciggy with the large spray deflector / rather ugly cowl) ..has anyone else?

Would also love to see the "very airborne" Limit-Up poster (never got my hands on one of those either!) where she looks as though she's jus' cleared a boatload of spectators...

Thanks man
Old 28-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #52

Bin there...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
I

I posted this early '06 -Scroll down for the article.

http://www.boatmad.com/forum/showthr...ght=tim+powell
My apologies for raking-over old coals... bit new to this forum business and had n't spotted that one yet (and very thoroughly done too, if i may say so, sir!). At least it has "flagged-it-up" for newcomers to see...

I suppose there's some Alitalia / Martini posters on here somewhere?! ...must learn to use the search facility...
Old 30-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #53

While we talk about these great boats somehow I feel it not right to leave out the teams behind these great Don Shead achievements, so what of the crew that without them all this would not be possible, famous crew like the Italians Della Valle, the Spelta family, Edwardo polli that ran SDA (which CUV was that?)etc and British guys like Gerv Brazier although not a CUV and the Follett team, although I remember Cookie saying he had a very interesting chat with Richard Lawson ... so where are they now??? these guys gave us a great show back then
Old 30-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #54

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Do we want to remember a little of names of crews?

Team Alitalia (1977-79) - Francesco Cosentino,Davey Wilson,Alberto Diridoni
Guido Niccolai,Mario Pescaglini.
Giulio De Angelis,Franco Esperto.

Team Martini (1978-80) - Guido Niccolai,Jack Stuteville,Cesare Fiorio,Harold Smith.

Team Navalconsult (1980-82)- Alberto Smania,Alberto Diridoni,Fabrizio Smania,Moreno Di Giusto.

Team Ego (1981-1987) - Renato Della Valle,Gianfranco Rossi,Moreno Di Giusto.

Team Miura (1984-89) - Alberto Petri,Franco Statua,Louis Smole.

Team Nooxy (1984-1993) - Angelo Spelta,Alberto Diridoni,Giovanna Repossi,Maurizio Ambrogetti,
Damiano Spelta,Maurizio Riganti,Beppino Guarracino

Team Sun International (1985-1987) - Stefano Casiraghi,Franco Statua.

Team Raimbow (1987-1994) - Edoardo Polli,Franco Statua (only for the 1987 with a CUV).

Plus the expert British navigators as Mike Mantle,Doug Pike and others.

I have quoted to memory therefore they miss many other names, that I hope is added by others.
Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
... Edwardo polli that ran SDA (which CUV was that?)
Did you think of this one:
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1988_.jpg.html
Was this the one that was used as Paceboat in the WOC series '95 and is it the only one with that "rounded" deck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
...British guys like Gerv Brazier although not a CUV ...
Off topic again but was "Jaguar the Legend" the old Toleman Cougar?
olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Tornado View Post
Do we want to remember a little of names of crews?

Team Alitalia (1977-79) - Francesco Cosentino,Davey Wilson,Alberto Diridoni
Guido Niccolai,Mario Pescaglini.
Giulio De Angelis,Franco Esperto.

Team Martini (1978-80) - Guido Niccolai,Jack Stuteville,Cesare Fiorio,Harold Smith.

Team Navalconsult (1980-82)- Alberto Smania,Alberto Diridoni,Fabrizio Smania,Moreno Di Giusto.

Team Ego (1981-1987) - Renato Della Valle,Gianfranco Rossi,Moreno Di Giusto.

Team Miura (1984-89) - Alberto Petri,Franco Statua,Louis Smole.

Team Nooxy (1984-1993) - Angelo Spelta,Alberto Diridoni,Giovanna Repossi,Maurizio Ambrogetti,
Damiano Spelta,Maurizio Riganti,Beppino Guarracino

Team Sun International (1985-1987) - Stefano Casiraghi,Franco Statua.

Team Raimbow (1987-1994) - Edoardo Polli,Franco Statua (only for the 1987 with a CUV).

Plus the expert British navigators as Mike Mantle,Doug Pike and others.

I have quoted to memory therefore they miss many other names, that I hope is added by others.
Thank you, that's quite a list are all these people still alive and kicking as they say in the UK

Quote:
Off topic again but was "Jaguar the Legend" the old Toleman Cougar?
This was a Don Shead designed boat although I don't know what UK yard actually constructed it
Old 31-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #57

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
[QUOTE=cfun;148714]Thank you, that's quite a list are all these people still alive and kicking as they say in the UK

Instead that's quite is a list with several people living in better life as we say in Italy.
Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #58

Previous names

E.Polli`s `SDA` CUV41 was S.Casiraghi`s `Sun International`.Boat ended up as `Thuraya` in P1.
`Jaguar the Legend` was ex `Toleman Group`,built by Saltshaker in America.It only did one race in U.S. (Bacardi) and came 6th.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #59

This may be a stupid question but why build Jaguar the Legend in the USA unless Don Shead was looking to capture the lucrative American market along with Toleman and Toleman ended up owning a share of Cougar with Clive Curtis so why use a Shead design or was there an unknown tie up between Cougars designs and Shead design's which somehow I just can't believe would happen, but cougar have also made boats in the US haven't they?

Must admit I always thought it was Gerv's boat and not built for Toleman originally
Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #60

Tolemans mono

Can`t give you a straight answer `cfun` on the politics on Toleman`s shead mono.I don`t think it crossed my mind at the time to ask what the hell was going on there! Too busy rashing out superyachts.Toleman had the Bertram as another variation on his runners,so maybe he was just playing the field.