Boatmad.com

Old 20-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #21

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony dowley View Post
Hi Mike, It was actually my white Velocity 32 that was a true pleasure boat, not David's with twin Volvo 502 / duo props. Both the Buzzi RHIB and John Fullers/Tony Davis's boat were actually registered race boats. The rules of entry were, for it to be high performance pleasure boats.
This however seemed to change with the guy in charge (who's name eludes me at the second, a writer chap), allowing the RHIB to be a qualified entrant. (Politics)
We were the second boat to cross the finnish at Cherbourg, very close to the Buzzi. it was elapsed time, so we were also the second fastest. All of a sudden we find the rules had changed while the committee were on the ferry, we were not allowed the win, then they came up with an additional class that gave us the record for the fastest rigid hull and were proudly awarded a six pack of Heiniken.
Between this, the Round the Island record not being awarded to Thunderbird and the accident at Cowes, where i felt like a 50 year old school boy in the RYA headmasters office, while Chris Peeters was almost dead from carbon monoxide....I vowed not to race again in the UK.

Anyway we still enjoyed the run, and David did always point the boat in the right direction when we raced together, even if he did enjoy taking the credit a little more than I did :-)
TD
Tony,
That must have been one hell of a run, what was the top speed of that boat of yours? Can't blame you for your decision to get out of Offshore racing here in the U.K, pity really but fully understand. I have just made the same decision but not as a competitor of course, too old for that now. Some of us have been through the same "ringer" with the RYA! As for David, well yes, he hasn't changed a dot so I will have some fun with your info!
Mike.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli View Post

I like it when the pros explain the simplicity of Offshore Racing
Was that last pic from magazine coverage of our raceboat driving school?

It looks like I was at the point in the classroom session of describing "the consequence of uncontrolled chine riding."

Old 21-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Was that last pic from magazine coverage of our raceboat driving school?
Yes, MBY October '00.
olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #24

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

You have started to stir the dark depths of my old brain Tony so have been going back a bit on Boatmad. In 2009 John Fuller convinced me that I should try to bring back the Poole to Cherbourg race. I was trying to organise the 2009 Cowes Torquay Cowes race at the time but JF convinced me that I should do it - see http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread....oole+Cherbourg here on Boatmad.

I had taken part in the 1985 Poole to Cherbourg predicted log out of the Royal Motor (in a twin 200hp powered 27ft Riamer) and we had cruised across at 4,500 revs with an estimated time of 1hr 30mins. I held the record for a few years at I think around 1hr 26mins (lost composure when we saw Cherbourg and opened the taps!). The predicted log worked well, they taped up all your intruments except for the rev counter. They also took away your watches and had an observer on board to ensure you didn't cheat.

MBY did an article on your race Tony complete with pics which JF found see:-
"I know this is of little relevance now, but I found the mag today, so here goes": www.boatmad.com/pcp/mby.pdf

I had to cancel this race at the time because of the pressure of the CTC but have never understood why no one has ever tried to bring this great race back - are you listening Royal Motor? It would be a walk in the Park to orgainise and at around 120miles (there and back non stop) a true Marathon race and a great test for boats and crew.

What a dinner conversation stopper especially if there were some Yachties there. - "I toddled across to Cherbourg and back recently in a couple of hours!" Ha!
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by olli View Post
Yes, MBY October '00.
Thanks olli.

I had forgotten about that article. Checked my files and I see that I must have lost that issue of MBY when I moved back to the States.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:22 AM   #26

Boat name: Badder Then Most
Boat make: 1997 Velocity 320
Engines: Express Engines 525
Cruising area: Georgian Bay/Muskoka Lakes

Yellow 1997 Velocity 320

Just stumbled across this site while googling my boat. Glad I did! Learnt a lot about her that I never knew. I knew it started its life as a race boat in the UK, but that was about it. If anyone has any further information, please let me know.

I've had her since 2010, and have enjoyed a lot. Can't say the same for the neighbours at the cottage. Lol. You'd think they'd learn to appreciate loud, obnoxious boats.

As far as I know it's been in Canada since 2005. Imported here by Double R Performance Boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	43838  
Bglenn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:05 PM   #27
Craig

Interests: Working on my boat
Boat make: Scarab 22sc
Engines: 350 Magnum
Cruising area: Solent

Bglenn1966.
Send me a private message with your email and I can send you some photos and video of your boat along with some of its history. I raced it once in 97 and used to drive its sister boat for Reefer Racing for a few years. Great to know where it ended up.
ebbtide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:14 PM   #28

Boat make: 1980 24" Excaliur
Cruising area: ICW

Craig - let me know what you dig up on the Reefer - I'd be interested to see it too! Happy to see she's still alive and well!

Amanda Mazur

Apalacia is offline   Reply With Quote