Boatmad.com

Old 28-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #1

Fullers logistics

I seem to remember a calendar photo of a boat called Fullers logistics, was there just one - or several ?

wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

There were a couple of Fullers Logistics boats, a yellow Velocity 32 that did a few GT races in 1997 and a yellow Cougar Thunderboat that first competed in Class II and then in ProVee from 1998 through 2003.

Old 29-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
There were a couple of Fullers Logistics boats, a yellow Velocity 32 that did a few GT races in 1997 and a yellow Cougar Thunderboat that first competed in Class II and then in ProVee from 1998 through 2003.
Going into clever dick mode Ben,I thought the Velocity hull raced in 1991/92.
1991 with David Graham - Smith,and 1992 with Tony Dowley, such that he retained his sponsor (Fullers) for the Cougar Thunderbolt, with as you say, was 98-03.

For 97 & 99 the velocity hull became `The Reefer`as raced by Dowley.

Hope I`ve got that right,being as I am in the presence of a velocity anorak.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #4

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
How strange that should come up. I was talking to DGS and Mike Ring the other day about the Poole - Cherbourg record and DGS told us that he still holds the record for the Poole - Cherbourg record in a hard boat which was of course the 32' Yellow Velocity "Fullers Logistics" just beating Jon Fuller. I know the record is held by Mr Pascoe in the Buzzi RIB but David holds it for a "Hard Boat". Perhaps FF can refresh our memory of the time.

Looking on Boatmad Media there is only this one showing. http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14196
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #5

As far as I know DGS only had `Fullers` in 1991.Have looked in the archives,but nothing in dispatches about that.Sorry to let you down badly on this.

Ere` and by the way Mike,I forgot to say,NO waving as you piss past Anvil,otherwise I`ll have to digitally cut your arms off and re position accordingly.That was always the pain when snapping from Tower Bridge at the Start/Finish of LCL,everybody waving like muppets.Alright for these buggers on helicpoters who have hours galore in which to rattle off their pics.
Old 29-06-2010, 08:54 AM   #6

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Alright for these buggers on helicpoters who have hours galore in which to rattle off their pics.
That 'bugger' is praying that we have some rough weather for this years Cowes 100 and CTC. I've found a decent charter company that's not charging the earth and the plan is to be up for both heats.
Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
That 'bugger' is praying that we have some rough weather for this years Cowes 100 and CTC. :
You and me both.About time we had a serious rough one,then we`ll see just how good that Fuller Flyer really is.
Old 29-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
then we`ll see just how good that Fuller Flyer really is.
I can tell you that now. The boat will be absolutely awesome, the driving will be a bit average. (and hopefully the reliability will be acceptable)

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Ben

Fullers Transport/Logistics potted history

Quote:
Going into clever dick mode Ben,I thought the Velocity hull raced in 1991/92.
1991 with David Graham - Smith,and 1992 with Tony Dowley, such that he retained his sponsor (Fullers) for the Cougar Thunderbolt, with as you say, was 98-03.

For 97 & 99 the velocity hull became `The Reefer`as raced by Dowley.

Hope I`ve got that right,being as I am in the presence of a velocity anorak.
Anorak - moi?

The first Fullers Transport boat was David Graham-Smith’s Saber 28. David had bought it in 1990 to replace his Flying Flipper 30 ‘Penthouse’ that had been sold to Dick Martindale who re-named it ‘Obsession’. David raced with Tony Dowley whose company, Fullers Transport sponsored the boat in 1991. Tony also became David’s co-director in Saber Marine (UK) Ltd. The ‘Fullers Transport’ Saber was bought by a fellow (from Essex I believe) who later sold it to Charles Gardiner. Charles had a bracket built so he could mount a third engine and attempt Class II racing. It was truly an odd contraption with the third engine being a 225 Suzuki surrounded by the original 200 Suzukis. Vulture Ventures re-rigged the boat with a couple of 2.5 EFI race motors, the boat was wrapped with a new graphics scheme and it became ‘Wave Slaves’.

The next ‘Fullers Transport’ was a 1992 Velocity 26 raced by David, Tony and later in the season myself and became the UKOBA co-champion boat along with setting the Production Class speed record. It didn’t race in 93 but was sold to Mike Sweeting whom I raced with 94-96 with the boat being re-named ‘Velocity’. To make matters more confusing, Saber Marine brought over another 26 in 1994, this boat also being called ‘Velocity’. This was a single engine boat that never raced and was sold to a couple of London guys who re-liveried the boat as ‘Gyro’. Somewhere in that time frame I was invited join David and Tony as a director of Saber Marine.

The first ‘Fullers Logistics’ boat was a 1996 twin engined 32 Velocity. Again, never raced but did the Poole-Cherbourg record run in 96. ‘The Poker Run’ became a corporate hospitality boat after that and was converted to single engine configuration in 2002. It’s now back in the States in Pennsylvania.

Reefer Racing (Offshore Powerboats) Ltd was formed in 96 with Tony Dowley and Mike Pratt as co-directors. They had another Velocity 32 built though this time the idea was from the outset for it to be a raceboat. ‘The Reefer’ had Fullers Logistics as its primary sponsor. It did a few races in 1997 before becoming another Reefer Racing corporate hospitality boat. The ‘Reefer’ came out of retirement in 1999 and won the Cowes Round the Island basic race. It continued in its corporate hospitality role until it went to the South of France in 2002 and eventually ended up in Florida. During 98 I resigned from Saber Marine and became a director of Reefer Racing.

The last boat in this saga was ‘Thunderbird’, a 1998 Cougar Thunderboat again primarily sponsored by Fullers Logistics. It won the 98 Cowes Classic and the 2002 ProVee title as well. It last raced as a Reefer Racing-Fullers Logistics boat in 2003 and was sold to a Finn who re-named it ‘Thundercoast of Finland’

There endith the story.

Pics 3 and 5 by Keith Slater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	25137   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	25138   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	25139   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	25140   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	25141  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	25142  
Old 29-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #10

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

And on the 32' Velocity front this recent ebay sale was probably not such a bad buy for some lucky chap ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...iewitem=#v4-35
Old 30-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Anorak - moi?

The first Fullers Transport boat was David Graham-Smith’s Saber 28. David had bought it in 1990 to replace his Flying Flipper 30 ‘Penthouse’ that had been sold to Dick Martindale who re-named it ‘Obsession’. David raced with Tony Dowley whose company, Fullers Transport sponsored the boat in 1991. Tony also became David’s co-director in Saber Marine (UK) Ltd. The ‘Fullers Transport’ Saber was bought by a fellow (from Essex I believe) who later sold it to Charles Gardiner. Charles had a bracket built so he could mount a third engine and attempt Class II racing. It was truly an odd contraption with the third engine being a 225 Suzuki surrounded by the original 200 Suzukis. Vulture Ventures re-rigged the boat with a couple of 2.5 EFI race motors, the boat was wrapped with a new graphics scheme and it became ‘Wave Slaves’.

The next ‘Fullers Transport’ was a 1992 Velocity 26 raced by David, Tony and later in the season myself and became the UKOBA co-champion boat along with setting the Production Class speed record. It didn’t race in 93 but was sold to Mike Sweeting whom I raced with 94-96 with the boat being re-named ‘Velocity’. To make matters more confusing, Saber Marine brought over another 26 in 1994, this boat also being called ‘Velocity’. This was a single engine boat that never raced and was sold to a couple of London guys who re-liveried the boat as ‘Gyro’. Somewhere in that time frame I was invited join David and Tony as a director of Saber Marine.

The first ‘Fullers Logistics’ boat was a 1996 twin engined 32 Velocity. Again, never raced but did the Poole-Cherbourg record run in 96. ‘The Poker Run’ became a corporate hospitality boat after that and was converted to single engine configuration in 2002. It’s now back in the States in Pennsylvania.

Reefer Racing (Offshore Powerboats) Ltd was formed in 96 with Tony Dowley and Mike Pratt as co-directors. They had another Velocity 32 built though this time the idea was from the outset for it to be a raceboat. ‘The Reefer’ had Fullers Logistics as its primary sponsor. It did a few races in 1997 before becoming another Reefer Racing corporate hospitality boat. The ‘Reefer’ came out of retirement in 1999 and won the Cowes Round the Island basic race.
Phew! Well done Ben.

Now to plague you with a few more questions.From all that I assume

1.The original `Hourglass Racing` saber of 1990 became `Wave Slaves` eventually.
2.`Fullers Transport` of 1991,a velocity 26 which was raced by DGS,then Tony Dowley in 1992,became `Velocity` (M.Sweeting) in 1994-97.Pic 3
3.Tony Dowley raced a new 32ft velocity called `The Reefer` in 97/98.Pic 5
4.Other than the Priory Club/HFS/Mr.Noisy boat,do you know the history of the `Penthouse` boat(1999) - S.Reynolds.
Old 30-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #12
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

I remember the Canopied Fullers logistics boat at the Class II Worlds in Bangor when we were there racing OCR - the Victory team came over and even brought their own fuel!

Wasn't it that boat that had an exhaust leak into the cabin causing the crew to nod off and broke the front off a yacht off Portsmouth somewhere?

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #13

Channel Record

Now that I have read Mr.Velocity`s history lesson,I knew where to look for the channel record diatribe.

And yes `cookee`,it was the cougar boat in your last post that clonked the yacht.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1996 Channel Record (1).pdf (520.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: pdf 1996 Channel Record (2).pdf (1.03 MB, 217 views)
Old 30-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #14

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

That was the Cowes Classic about 2004 ish.
Old 30-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #15
Ben

Quote:
Phew! Well done Ben.

Now to plague you with a few more questions.From all that I assume

1.The original `Hourglass Racing` saber of 1990 became `Wave Slaves` eventually.
2.`Fullers Transport` of 1991,a velocity 26 which was raced by DGS,then Tony Dowley in 1992,became `Velocity` (M.Sweeting) in 1994-97.Pic 3
3.Tony Dowley raced a new 32ft velocity called `The Reefer` in 97/98.Pic 5
4.Other than the Priory Club/HFS/Mr.Noisy boat,do you know the history of the `Penthouse` boat(1999) - S.Reynolds.
1. Yes
2. Fullers Transport of 1991 was the Saber 28. Fullers Transport 92 was the new 1992 Velocity 26 raced by DG-S and Tony in 92 only. Mike Sweeting raced the 92 Velocity 94-96.
3. Tony raced the yellow 32 Velocity in 97. It didn't race in 98.
4. The Penthouse boat might have been DG-S' old 27' Allround GTX that David raced in Cruiser Class before he had the Flipper.
Old 30-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #16

Thanks for that Ben.
Old 19-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
How strange that should come up. I was talking to DGS and Mike Ring the other day about the Poole - Cherbourg record and DGS told us that he still holds the record for the Poole - Cherbourg record in a hard boat which was of course the 32' Yellow Velocity "Fullers Logistics" just beating Jon Fuller. I know the record is held by Mr Pascoe in the Buzzi RIB but David holds it for a "Hard Boat". Perhaps FF can refresh our memory of the time.

Looking on Boatmad Media there is only this one showing. http://boatmad.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=14196
ML.
Hi Mike, It was actually my white Velocity 32 that was a true pleasure boat, not David's with twin Volvo 502 / duo props. Both the Buzzi RHIB and John Fullers/Tony Davis's boat were actually registered race boats. The rules of entry were, for it to be high performance pleasure boats.
This however seemed to change with the guy in charge (who's name eludes me at the second, a writer chap), allowing the RHIB to be a qualified entrant. (Politics)
We were the second boat to cross the finnish at Cherbourg, very close to the Buzzi. it was elapsed time, so we were also the second fastest. All of a sudden we find the rules had changed while the committee were on the ferry, we were not allowed the win, then they came up with an additional class that gave us the record for the fastest rigid hull and were proudly awarded a six pack of Heiniken.
Between this, the Round the Island record not being awarded to Thunderbird and the accident at Cowes, where i felt like a 50 year old school boy in the RYA headmasters office, while Chris Peeters was almost dead from carbon monoxide....I vowed not to race again in the UK.

Anyway we still enjoyed the run, and David did always point the boat in the right direction when we raced together, even if he did enjoy taking the credit a little more than I did :-)
TD
tony dowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edge View Post
That was the Cowes Classic about 2004 ish.
It was Cowes 2003, I was throttling the boat, and the yacht was right on the turn mark at "east gurnard" I think it was.....absolutely no marshalling at all, to keep boats clear of the course
That is also ,after we had two boats crossing the start as we were all winding on the speed, just in front of the chute.
TD
tony dowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #19
Ben

Hello Tony

Hope I got most of the info. right in my "essay" earlier in this thread.

Loved the guitars on Facebook, especially the LP and P Bass.
Old 20-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #20

I like it when the pros explain the simplicity of Offshore Racing

olli is offline   Reply With Quote