wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Yes, I believe so.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:19 PM   #3

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

yes it is
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #4

Pictures anyone?

Seeing as the Gallery is a bit hard to access, does anyone have a few pictures of her in her previous life? Graham... are you out there?
Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
numbskull

Miss Kent Koi

Photo, Graham Stevens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KENT KOI (1990) copy.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	21461  

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 08-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #6

Cheers

Thankyou Jon...! I remember her now. Was she successful? Does anyone know the designer / builder? ...and, for that matter, engines...?

Sorry, i'm being a lazy tart, i'll go and look this up... i'm just not sure which year etc
Old 08-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #7

The clue's in the name...

Durrrr.... jus seen the date on the photo...! Will try to find that year's C-T-C programme
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
numbskull

It's a Hunton, so a Jeff Hunton design.

It ran Sabre 600's on a custom surface drive setup (based I think on Arnessons in the 'Nooxy' setup)

Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #9

Have a feeling there were 2 race boats built. If you go on the Hunton web site under racing heritage there is a small video of one.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #10

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

If my memory serves me correctly I think it was raced by Chris Scragg [now races classic cars] and Glyn Evans ? in the late 80's got the t shirt somewhere ! prob won't fit now !!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #11

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

They raced a cruiser first by the same name.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
numbskull

Glyn Evans bought into Hunton (he owned the Kent Koi Company), then spent all the family (company) silver on racing (sometimes not even in a Hunton product) then when it all fell over, he was gone.

There was a time (Jeff please correct me if I get details wrong) when that boat was going to get Gas Turbines from Kodiac marine, but it transpired that Kodiac didn't really actually have a running engine. (was it Mike Sheppard of 'Raving Mad' fame?) Anyways, all a long time ago.

Evans ran the old Ali cat 'Romans Sabre' under the name 'Marston Hotels' with the Sabres from Kent Koi in it. That was around 90/91. It was at best, an old shitter.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #13

I had a calendar with a magnificent photo of Kent Koi airbound - real inspiring shot. Don't know what made me think of it in the first place !
wickedtopspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #14

Behave Mr.Fuller

An `Old Shitter`.I`ll have you know this was one of Ernie Simms finest ,having cut his teeth on the tin boats.What he didn`t know about alloy construction you could write on an AO sheet.

Back to the original Garmin.If you remember,it managed a drop test when it was originally named Hunton Gazelle.An extract from Martin Napier`s Soton race report `Whilst craning in, two crew members who by rights should not have been on a boat suspended by a crane,moved,altering the C of G.The boat pitched and then slid out of the slings stern first,landing from a height of about 20ft on top of Jeff Hunton,who had fallen from the dock.Luckily he was not badily hurt,though suffering a broken collarbone.The boat however, suffered a smashed bow section as the stern dropped,the rising bow hit the steel spreader,leaving a sizeable hole in the port bow`.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MARSTON HOTELS (1991).jpg
Views:	613
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	21463  
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
Back to the original Garmin.If you remember,it managed a drop test when it was originally named Hunton Gazelle.An extract from Martin Napier`s Soton race report `Whilst craning in, two crew members who by rights should not have been on a boat suspended by a crane,moved,altering the C of G.The boat pitched and then slid out of the slings stern first,landing from a height of about 20ft on top of Jeff Hunton,who had fallen from the dock.Luckily he was not badily hurt,though suffering a broken collarbone.The boat however, suffered a smashed bow section as the stern dropped,the rising bow hit the steel spreader,leaving a sizeable hole in the port bow`.
That made one hell of a bang! Mid season 1987? Pretty sure that same day a yacht mast fell over and hit Kin 'Ell Fire in the pits - H & S was a distant nightmare in those days.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
numbskull

Quote:
What he didn`t know about alloy construction you could write on an AO sheet.
Now that's funny!

That boat's had some serious welding time on it during it's life.

Old Nail.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #17

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
If you remember,it managed a drop test`Whilst craning in, two crew members who by rights should not have been on a boat suspended by a crane,moved,altering the C of G.The boat pitched and then slid out of the slings stern first,landing from a height of about 20ft on top of Jeff Hunton,who had fallen from the dock.Luckily he was not badily hurt,though suffering a broken collarbone.The boat however, suffered a smashed bow section as the stern dropped,the rising bow hit the steel spreader,leaving a sizeable hole in the port bow`.
Yes I recall that rather nasty incident think I mentioned that before on boatmad

was that one of the races they allowed the boats to run around the harbour and down past the ferry docks causing the ferry boats to cross the course and I believe ultimately the accident involving Unipart and HFS some years later

you could walk down from where the boats were craned in along the road and down to the docks to watch the boats race down Southampton water right in front of you very spectacular, bet you would never get that to happen again

going back to Kent Koi to me it always seemed they never quite got the best performance out of the set up as every race I watched and there were numerous they trailed D2S with similar diesel power, I think somebody said they did in the end late 70's mph and kent Koi feature on that Global Powerboat series tape often mentioned on here think they trailed the 28' Phantom with 3 Merc efi of Miles Jennings until he dived under the dash to check his tackle and then they overtake him for I think second place
Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #18

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

Quote:
Jeff called that boat FQ1, it was a write off so the garmin boat, FQ2 was built. funny jeff always said the crane driver was a prat.

the same hull is used on the 37xrs which i think saw 60 ish knots with twin volvo 370s
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
numbskull

Surface drives & a straight non stepped bottom aint a great combination.

Or would require a great deal of setting up prop wise to the best from it.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #20

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
Yes I recall that rather nasty incident think I mentioned that before on boatmad

was that one of the races they allowed the boats to run around the harbour and down past the ferry docks causing the ferry boats to cross the course and I believe ultimately the accident involving Unipart and HFS some years later

you could walk down from where the boats were craned in along the road and down to the docks to watch the boats race down Southampton water right in front of you very spectacular, bet you would never get that to happen again

going back to Kent Koi to me it always seemed they never quite got the best performance out of the set up as every race I watched and there were numerous they trailed D2S with similar diesel power, I think somebody said they did in the end late 70's mph and kent Koi feature on that Global Powerboat series tape often mentioned on here think they trailed the 28' Phantom with 3 Merc efi of Miles Jennings until he dived under the dash to check his tackle and then they overtake him for I think second place
Interesting accident, I saw it happen standing on Flippin Eck in the Wet Pits and strangely was only talking to Jeff's Navigator Paul Rutherford about it three weeks ago in a local pub - as you do. Paul was actually in the cockpit of the boat when it slipped out of the straps and deciding he was in the best place stayed there until the boat surfaced! Jeff was the unfortunate one being on the back and he dived off as the boat came out but the rear of the boat caught him underwater and broke his collar bone. He was lucky not to have been speared by the drives.

With regard to the above post, I was with the Southampton Harbour Master yesterday and we were only talking about those days and how the fleet used to Muster off the Mouth of the Itchen and hurtle down Southampton Water flat out. The interesting point used to be seeing the armada of yachts coming out of the Hamble with you approaching at 70-mph plus the thoughts travelling through everyone’s mind was, how the hell would we make it through but everyone did with the Yachties shaking their fists in rage. Amazing days on reflection. I was told in no uncertain terms that it would never happen again either, pity. Whoever said progress was a wonderful thing?

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote