Boatmad.com

Old 16-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #141
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Sorry, all the Graham Stevens media (stills & video) are no longer in the Boatmad gallery.

I'm sure Graham will re-host elsewhere asap.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #142

WHOA! What happened?

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #143
numbskull

A slight difference in opinion.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 16-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #144

Sorry to hear that
Old 16-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #145

Interests: Marshan Ring Phantom
Boat name: Blue Streak
Boat make: Marshan 18
Engines: Mercury V200 Mercury XR10

Gr robert.
schim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #146

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
This is not a good news Jon.
This is the best site in the net - no doubts-and the stuffs of Graham contributed in an important way to this result.
I hope you and Graham can return to converge in opinions.

Marco
Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #147

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Thats a real shame - Graham's posts and old details were often the best things on Boatmad!
Old 17-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #148

Hard Hats On!

In light of the recents posts,in which it was only a matter of time coming,here is the true story,and it`s debatable how long it will remain posted before being zapped out.

Over the last 4-5 yrs it`s been a real struggle to get the films on the site considering I copied them off within a couple of weeks for to Jon to upload.It wears you out continually asking the same question to get on with it with no response.

Almost a year ago I asked Jon about the practicalities of adding pdf`s to the Gallery,and sent some samples to be worked with.Same situation no response or indication to get these on site.

About a week ago having asked again several times,I said if I didn`t receive an anwser fairly shortly,I would tap out something on the complete scenario,to which Jon replied that he didn`t respond to threats and was closing the media site.

Now I leave it to those who are interested in the Gallery to decide the rights and wrongs of this situation,but the above are the plain facts of which I feel I have been treated apallingly,just for pushing to get the Gallery into a first class piece of offshore history.

I notice the London - Monte Carlo film I was given many years ago to add to my collection of historic films has been left conviently on the site for obvious reasons,otherwise our CMC organiser wouldn`t have much of a promotional DVD to offer,so despite being shat upon I do have my uses.

To remove my stuff might seem like a good reason not to have me pushing to add material,but to play out this weeks events is utter madness.

If the Multimedia was returned to it`s original state it would indicate that maybe hasty decisions had been made.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thats a real shame - Graham's posts and old details were often the best things on Boatmad!
Agreed.

At a stroke, a very good site has just become quite dull. Let's hope that things are back to normal before long.

Phil.
Deauville Trophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #150

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
I know that the old Graham multimedia stuff was much better before all that was lost.
This last multimedia was ok for photos but a total disaster for the videos in which I could not see one in full.
More aggravating the absence of any documentation in pdf of the races from 1956 to present.
I know that the video format has been changed to avoid some of the crafty fish for use on other sites as it had happened.
But I think you could eliminate the problem by putting a logo in the corner for the duration of each video.
Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #151
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
I notice the London - Monte Carlo film I was given many years ago to add to my collection of historic films has been left conviently on the site for obvious reasons,otherwise our CMC organiser wouldn`t have much of a promotional DVD to offer,so despite being shat upon I do have my uses.
You may have forgotten Graham, but 'your' copy of LMC was replaced in the gallery last year by a copy from Tim Powell (via Mike Lloyd) as it was in slightly better order.

As it came from 'The CMC organiser', it seems only fair it stays.

Old 17-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #152
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Tornado View Post
I know that the video format has been changed to avoid some of the crafty fish for use on other sites as it had happened.
But I think you could eliminate the problem by putting a logo in the corner for the duration of each video.
That's not the case. It was changed because viewing .wmv's (microsoft) videos used in the older setup, on a Apple Mac, when they're embedded in html was a problem, where as macromedia flash files (.flv like youtube) are viewable by all using the browser, safari, firefox, internet explorer, google chrome etc.

There are shed loads of free programs available for downloading flash files from the likes of youtube, or indeed boatmad.

Old 17-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #153

For what it's worth I hope that the two of you can patch it up. Boatmad has/had become one of the central databases on the planet for my money when it comes to the history of the sport we all love - Graham played a huge part in that achievement. Let's hope that the historical content previously available will indeed be restored.
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #154

Presumably, Jon's main problem in this is finding the time to devote to updates on the Multimedia section? If so, I can equally appreciate Jon's difficulty and Graham's frustration.

Free time is precious to us all but maybe if a few of us Boatmadders who recognise the unique value of the historic section were to come forward and volunteer some assistance to add media to the site we might be able to resolve this?

Neither my IT firepower nor my technical knowledge is that great but I would certainly be willing to contribute however possible in a shared effort to get more historic material onto Boatmad.

I guess the actual uploading would need to be overseen by a webmaster (you, Jon?) to ensure that the presentation and technical structure of the material is maintained but surely some joint efforts could ease the burden on a single individual.

Jon/Graham - is this feasible? Are there ways in which some of us can assist?

Would anyone out there similarly be willing to offer some help and maybe even contribute content of their own?
Cesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesa View Post
Presumably, Jon's main problem in this is finding the time to devote to updates on the Multimedia section? If so, I can equally appreciate Jon's difficulty and Graham's frustration.
Some facts to consider.The timing might not be exact but putting the films up one could almost break up into two parts,before and after it was originally lost,about in 2 year chunks,so for a 2 year period there have been about 44hrs put up.22 hrs per year of work is pretty small if your really dedicated to do the job,but the real problem is the lack of communication.If it`s a problem and it`s to much then say so.Whichever way you slice it,it`s not the proper way to make progress.

If I only considered the pics none of this upheaval would have occurred,but once you branch out into other things and rely on a bit of teamwork to achieve the goal,then trouble can occur.

BTW I can`t say I noticed Mike Lloyds name under the LMC film,that was left in the Gallery.Oh Hum.

So,this thread will just fizzle out and the status quo will hold sway.I can`t re-instate my stuff in the Gallery,only Jon can do that,so if you really want to do something about,you better convince Jon one way or the other.
Old 17-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #156

Cruising area: southcoast

historic

why not start your own power boat gallery web site then you could put up all you want when you want,could be good. simples
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
why not start your own power boat gallery web site then you could put up all you want when you want,could be good. simples
It`s so simple it`s breathtaking.

What you find is,if one has the sort of history amassed that goes back 50yrs,then the chances are you are of an age where you won`t be as computer literate as you would like to be.

Putting pics up is relatively simple,but as Jon knows doing films ain`t straightforward if you want the quality,then you move on to pdf`s for results and reports,so another hurdle to overcome.

When somebody pitches up with all the above satisfied then who knows,and the sad thing is, with a bit more communication and desire,one was an ace away from achieving it.
Old 17-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #158

Indeed, but I've not hosted the media gallery for some time!
(Sorry, I couldn't help it)

Edited to add - Hope you guys can sort your difference out.
Old 17-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #159

Cruising area: southcoast

historic

fair enough,i couldnt set up a web sit either.shame the pics and films have gone as im sure we all used them
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #160

i'm not taking sides, i'm in enough shit at the moment, best of luck to both of you, it will be a shame though, being historic and all

biffer is offline   Reply With Quote