Boatmad.com

Go Back   Boatmad.com > Boat Mad | Speed Zone > Historic
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 26-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #41

Interests: Lots of things
Cruising area: Basingstoke ring road.

Now that would be a great site seeing her at Cowes in the future!

Shelbysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #42

Smile Further proof...

Gave MM2 a high pressure hose (no worse than the sea at 70 mph!) to see what we've got... some of the paint is flaking, but it showed black paint and traces of the race no. 910 from when she was Black & White Whiskey (Nurse brothers) in '74...this is archaeology! Someone call-in Time Team...on second thoughts, not.

Before that she was Propulser 1 (1971 J. Tussaud, Race no. 033)...but no sign of the MM Twin no.040 or even Don's lucky no.4 ..expect they've been rubbed-down long ago in all the paint jobs.

Rubbing-down is difficult without suddenly reaching the green gel coat (which i don't want to damage - some of it looks in good condition) so i've rung various technical depts. and found Peel-Away 7, an alkaline based stripper (with neutraliser if required) can be used on GRP... Any thoughts on that? Don't want to cause any weakening of the resin.

Anyway, cop a load of where the (fairly unique) exhaust cowl was.. Adam's message ..and what's left of the deck! Thanks for the good wishes too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08MM2 010LwRes.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	18242   Click image for larger version

Name:	08MM2 004LwRes.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	18243   Click image for larger version

Name:	08MM2 013LwRes.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	18244   Click image for larger version

Name:	08MM2 026LwRes.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	18245  

Delta28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 10:25 PM   #43
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

I just get a cold shiver every time I see the pics. You got on well so far though
But a brat in shorts the last time I see it running. Best of luck with the project, what are you think of powering it with?

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #44

Best memories...

My earliest powerboating memory is of nearly being swamped in a small boat when Ultima Dea blasted out of Cowes in '63... Always loved our wicked-looking and so magnificent Surfury... but a treasured memory is of Maltese Magnum Twin and Ultimatum in a pre-race duel, just practising, roaring past Egypt Point. Just been to see Ultimatum, by way of research, now there's another good project... c'mon guys!!

As to engine(s) that rather depends on finances (got a mortgage to pay), luck (being in the right place at the right time, with the right money!) and what is going to be feasible. Don't think I've got the necessary for twin engines in tandem... may have to stick to the original layout. We'll see!

Thanks again to all who have helped so far and thankyou for the encouragement... now if any of you know a suitably loaded sponsor..?
Think that's a low-altitude Gloucester Old Spot just gone over...
Old 27-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #45

Stripping

You could try Removall http://www.paint-stripper.co.uk/remo...per_marine.htm it comes well recommended, Haven't tried it yet but intend to as I need to strip off half a dozen layers of deck paint.

I'd have thought a single sterndrive would be perfect, perhaps a Raylar 550 may do the job? http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html

Scarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #46

Interests: Powerboats/Superboats
Boat make: 35'
Engines: Merc
Cruising area: Med

Hi Delta 28. Now that is a nice project.
And what a great find, now the fun part starts! Keep us informed on the progress of works. Cheers Duna.
Dunaruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #47

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Propusar (033), was NOT a re-worked Don Aronow Magnum, but a new build hull, drawn on similar lines to Don A's of course.
Built I belive on IOW, but not very successful.
I knew the guy who fabricated the fuel tanks for her, in the early 1970's.
Hull then went AWOL - definitley not a USA build tho'
Anyone know where that hull ended up ?
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #48

Cowes 1963 - well thats two of us !
My first ever sight of on offshore race, & at 16 I thought I had witnessed the greatest spectacle ever - and you got to see it all again when the boats completed their circuit of the Is., before setting of to TQ.
Emil Savundra in the re-engined original Jackie S, (4 jags as against triple Chryslers in '62) ramming everything in sight, until he sank a spectator boat & got a hole in the bow for good measure.
The boat I especially remember, standing in front of RYS & the cannons, was SCORPION, Mrs Gardeners (Yes, the Surfury Gardeners ), 20'+ Bertram (Pale blue + white, twin volvo 100's), seemingly racing across the line, just off the rocks in front of the RYS. No line of orange buoys inshore then, you had to judge your own line & miss the rocks !
That was Sonny Levi's year, in A'Speranziella - just saying the name is enough, & where is she now ? Adam used to have her, but I belive sold her on ?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #49

Thanks for that...

Cheers for that, Scarron... I'll follow-up on all that info

Thanks for the encouragement Duna, will keep you posted too..

We might be getting our "Propulsers" in a twist Martin!

I've got an old MB&Y race report that clearly states she's (Propulser 1) the old Maltese Magnum Twin and Graham's photo (see: Gallery / calendar pics) would seem to verify that, but a later article i read somewhere else says the same about Propulser 2 - but this is not so... You are right in that this boat (Propulser 2) was specially built for her owner (J.Tussaud) to his own design. I've seen that in one of the C-T-C programmes or another mag. Also agree that she wasn't that successful.

Attached is the one of Propulser 1 from Graham Steven's Gallery (hope that's ok) and everything about her is MM Twin... Hope we're singing-off-the-same-song-sheet now...!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Propulser_1__1971_.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	18275  
Old 02-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #50

The 33' Tussaud hull ended up being converted into a pleasure/workboat - used to be moored up on one of the morrings just off Cowes. One of my old school chums knew all about it - Alan?
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:45 PM   #51

Magnum 28 Info

Firstly ,I know Martin works in the fish industry,Red Herrings a speciality.O33 Sunpropulser/Titus L -Copeland design.Propulser I was ex-Maltese Magnum Twin.Highland Fling used one of her engines.
There is a close up view of MMT cockpit in the 1970 Class I & II film in Boatmad multimedia.It`s about 5 mins in.
Also some good pics of Magnum Tornado after rebuild on http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/m...do-1968-a.html
There are many black & white shots of MMT,but not really useful enough to build off.There was a swedish magnum site www.magnum.se but cannot get into it nowadays.I bet some bugger in sweden could knock off a deck mould or have drawings of it,as they seem to regard it as a classic over there.Boghammar Marine were connected with the Magnum 28.Their address is on the web,but the site is to be developed.Once they hear you are rebuilding a Magnum 28,they will be all over you like a rash.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #52

Something For Mmt Owner

From the fish files.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MMT.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	18277   Click image for larger version

Name:	DELTA 28.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	18278  
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #53

38 years too late...

Thanks for the advertisements...

i get the same feelings of "if only" as when i had the chance to buy a silver DB5 (with tinted glass, black leather, wire wheels... yes, jus' like the Goldfinger one!) for £800 in 1979... but then i was only 23 at the time... and insurance would have been impossible.

I'm guessing that these date from the end of 1970? ...I was 14 then!

(mind you, bloody rotten of my dad not to buy it for me... he could have hidden her 'til i was 21...)
Old 04-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #54

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin The Talker View Post
That was Sonny Levi's year, in A'Speranziella - just saying the name is enough, & where is she now ? Adam used to have her, but I belive sold her on ?
Yes - I sold her on some years ago - to Sebastian Stapleton who was based soemwhere just north of Oxford. Have not heard anything for soem time now.

It was too much of a project for me and was going to stop me devloping new boats - whihc is what my business is all about.

A'Speranziella would have been an amazing project though. The previous restoration looked good on the surface - but underneath was pretty awful and there was a LOT of work to do. She came with many original items, down to a lot of paperwork, original bill of sale, licences etc etc.

Hopefully we will see it on the water again one day!
Old 18-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #55

Adam - give Alan a call - (OK it's a bit off thread) he will remember what happened to the Titus-L/Propulser hull I'm sure.
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 02:11 PM   #56

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Hi Nige
Will do - just off on my holidays - so when I get back.

Try to get him and John to post on here - but going to take time!

All the best
Adam

PS - wouldn't be great to see all these restored / about to be restored boats togther, like at Cowes.

Saw what looked like a Levi Trident on the river at Tuckton bridge this week, when driving by.
Old 18-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #57

Cowes 2010

Hi Adam / one and all...

Cowes-Torquay-Cowes 2010 is the 50th Anniversary (but then most of you will way ahead of me and already gearing-up for it...hopefully!).

The point is... THAT is my target date for being on the water and tested... and loads more people besides! I know that BPRC, UKOBA and COPOC are already planning and beginning to make lots of noise!

Even if MM2's restoration takes longer or funds are (even more!) limited, I shall stick her on a trailer and get her there for what promises to be some kind of carnival.

And we must get as many famous boats there as we can.
Old 19-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #58

Sorry Flying Fish - I did used to be in the fish industry - not red herrings either !
However, you are five years out of date by now - the company closed down long ago.
It also seems that my memory is failing too - but these are boats from late 60's & early 70's., so thats a while back.
Come to think of it, some memories from the early/mid 60's are better than the more recent ones, but thats my getting old for you !
Let us hope that some of these great boats may well be seen back at Cowes in 2010, & that we can be there to see them !
Happy Christmas everyone.
Old 23-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #59

Interests: My Boat of course
Boat make: Extreme 21
Engines: Merc V8
Cruising area: Solent

Magnum thread from SandF - thought it might be of interest

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=148461
Old 29-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #60

Registered...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Docta View Post
Magnum thread from SandF - thought it might be of interest

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=148461
Thanks for that, Docta! Just visited their site and signed-up... i need to know as much about Magnums as possible, so that will be very useful... much appreciated.

Going to follow-up Flying Fish's suggestion of seeing if Boghammar Marine in Sweden (great name..got to use them if i can!) can assist with a new deck... Magnum Marine were unable to help.