Boatmad.com

Old 21-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Seahawk Cougar cat for sale also

The 40' Seahawk cat over on OSO.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o43966-en.html

littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Would have thought $95K was a steal! What's that in sterling - 70K?

Old 23-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
Would have thought $95K was a steal! What's that in sterling - 70K?
Not sure of the performance of a Seahawk - is it a copy of something? The engines haven't been run for a while and you can't even see it running - it hasn't been stored in optimum conditions either, having said that if you have the time, money and expertise to sort it out it would appear to be a decent price - I guess the number of people that are familiar with those turbines (in a boat) would be fairly limited?

I'm out!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

Turbine Cat Installation

A twin T58 turbine cat is an incredible piece of kit and if all the bits still work(?) sounds like good value. Probably however, would be most appreciated tearing up and down lake Havasu with Tom Cruise Raybans on and perfuming the marina with the smell of kerosene.

Back in the late 1970s, we designed and built a 45’ cat, fitted with a 1600HP Rolls Royce Gnome H1600 the British version of the GE T58 - a very interesting project to say the least.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

(Here's a really dodgy polaroid of the boat at the Enfield's Somerton works at Cowes in 1979- sitting on the trailer of ex Maltese Magnum that also had a gnome fitted at that time).

Apart from the 28 volt 600Hz electrics, the transmission was reduced from about 20,00 RPM coming out of the power turbine to about 5,000 using a modified Type 100 gearbox from a Wessex helicopter on a single shaft with disk brake to a fixed surface drive with a 6 bladed (hollow bladed welded) propeller.

Steering and reverse was by 2 horizontal axis “dipping” rudders which also acted as a reversing bucket.

The 4 step hull – which was designed to be as light as possible , weighed a mere 1650 Kg -including engine, tanks, controls and stern gear .

Probably the boat which had a beam of 12 feet, would be too light even to race in class 3 these days!

The hull was completed along with the engine installation and stern gear–but our engine supplier (who provided the engine, gearbox and technical support in return for publicity) could not guarantee full time support and after some acrimony sadly the project died-

We had a lot of support from other sources including British Hovercraft Corp, Litton Industries and the RNLI –all back in the days when Jim Callaghan was prime minister and the Police were number 1 with Message in a Bottle!

If anyone considers buying the Seahawk and bringing it to the UK - my advice -make friends with a retired RAF Helicopter crew chief or ground engineer- better bet just buy the engines, boxes and ASD8s about the same weight as a 300 Hp outboard and probably 1050HP each!

Cheers Guy
Guy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

Guy more pics?

Cookee Seahawk was a very successful cougar cat over in the US run by (was it?) Willie Falcon and Sal Maglutta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1986%20Aug%20small.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	34092  
Old 25-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
Guy more pics?

Cookee Seahawk was a very successful cougar cat over in the US run by (was it?) Willie Falcon and Sal Maglutta.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #7

Nigel,

I am currently looking after a project just down the road from you in Gibraltar and my old photos are in Argentina(!) I dont know if I Ive still got anything better for posting though.

You may or may not rememeber our boat Hope & Glory at Somerton in 78/79.

Enfield Industrial (engines and outdrives as opposed to Enfield Marine - the builders of my all time favourite Enfield Avenger/Unowot who were at Wooton Bridge) had moved out, and the big sheds were leased by a company called Turbine Technology run by the diminutive, but charismatic Alex Pollock, he was earlier involved with Miss Enfield (Marlboro) with Tim Powell I believe, along with the BP PaceSetter Dynaplane project which had some serious funding from BP.

(The telegraph pole structure visible in my photo was to prevent propeller blades from flying off from Proteus Turbine test structure, towards Somerton Middle school/Love Lane Primary)

Other turbine projects were the Nurse Brothers ex Black and White Whisky Cougar cat which had the Gnome removed and a French Turbomeca Artouste engine fitted but never completely installed. (I later fitted a 175 Mecury to this boat and raced it for a few seasons in Guernsey)

Also the Magnum Black and White Whisky boat number 910, which had a 1000HP Gnome connected to a huge fire pump which shot water out of the back(!!)- I am not sure if this hull was Maltese Magnum 11 ?

After the Hope and Glory project was shelved, we moved from Cowes to Guernsey and started building smaller class 3 cats and the Marathon boat that did the 1984 Round Britain.

On a related subject I have a meeting with Gibraltar Port Authority next week (Nothing to do with Powerboats) but have enquired for any information regarding the fates of Unowot and Miss Embassy- The assistant harbour master remembers both boats and has promised to investigate from the Ports records. If I can find anything at all I will share here!
Old 27-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy41 View Post
On a related subject I have a meeting with Gibraltar Port Authority next week (Nothing to do with Powerboats) but have enquired for any information regarding the fates of Unowot and Miss Embassy- The assistant harbour master remembers both boats and has promised to investigate from the Ports records. If I can find anything at all I will share here!
Looking forward to hear what you`ll find! Miss E. was defenatly something special. Remember her from frontpages of british motorsport magazines when I was just a kid. Of course I also had the Matchbox trailer with Miss Embassy on the back. Would LOVE to see her restored back to her old glory, if possible.
BTW; I picked up another "new old stock" model hull of the Miss yesterday. Molded in the earlie 80`s, but never started. A real treasure! Guess this build will be easier than restoring the original if it`s found...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Miss Embassy model.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	34116  
JohnnyStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #9

Gents, if you click on the link below and go to page 8 you will see pics of the boat as it is in Gibraltar - a sorry old site. Guy if you manage to get more info/pics please share........

http://www.boatmad.com/forum/showthr...sic+powerboats

I think the 37' Shead hull Unowot/Enfield Avenger etc was cut up but stand to be corrected.
Old 28-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #10

Unowot?

Thanks Nigel,

I will certainly ask about both boats.

I can imagine that Miss Embassy may still be in the tunnel.

However does anybody actually have any definite information regarding Unowot? Dates, names, colours, details of the arrest or seizure, where disposed and cut up (if sadly, that really happened) any eye witness confirmations?

I would really like to know for sure what happened to this incredible boat.

I used have a 1" section of the skeg of one of Unowot´s drives that I retrieved from the floor of one of the sheds at Fairy Marine when I was a 14 year old lad and a prized Unowot T Shirt given to me by Harry Hyams in 1972 complete with a picture of Centrepoint on the front.

I should probably open a new Unowot thread as I have so many memories of the boat and it would be good to share stories and information.

Cheers Guy
Old 28-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
I should probably open a new Unowot thread as I have so many memories of the boat and it would be good to share stories and information.

Cheers Guy
Good idea!
When surfing accross this forum searching for example for Miss Embassy, you get so much good info, but there`s also alot of incorrect facts because people mix up their memory. Usually this ends up as a thread with lots of corrections and discussions. Fun to read, but hard to keep the track.
Write it down before you start forgetting things. Would love to read it!

BTW: What about a "Wikiboat"-section for historic facts about each of these classic & historic race boats?

I feel that this may be a little OT in this thread about the Cougar cat. Sorry for that...
JohnnyStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:

Cheers Guy
Do it!