Boatmad.com

Old 17-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #1

Interests: Racing Bizzarrini, Lister Chevy, Lotus 15, Maclaran M1C and soon to be old boats!
Boat name: Snoopy
Boat make: Magnum 28
Engines: Chevy small block

Snoopy

As Snoopys proud new master I have decided that she should be allowed to stret h her legs in competition again so I have enterd the RB12 race. I am very used to looking after and racing historic cars but am new to boats. Snoopy is bassicly sound but will require aa lot of work at if she is to sucsesfully race around the UK.
the UK. Any advice on what engin/s outdrive etc and who I should go to to have the boat prepared for such a rae would be much appreciated.

bizzarrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzarrini View Post
As Snoopys proud new master I have decided that she should be allowed to stret h her legs in competition again so I have enterd the RB12 race. I am very used to looking after and racing historic cars but am new to boats. Snoopy is bassicly sound but will require aa lot of work at if she is to sucsesfully race around the UK.
the UK. Any advice on what engin/s outdrive etc and who I should go to to have the boat prepared for such a rae would be much appreciated.
As a start I would look at the sort of HP the boat originally had, speeds expected, you budget and aims for the race, add in the length and weight of the boat and the room available for the engines and see what fits!

IMHO the choices of petrol or diesel are relatively straight forward, petrol will sound better (and be more in keeping with the boat), cost less to install and be a bit lighter but you'll need more fuel at a higher price.

Diesels will cost more to install, use less cheaper fuel, weigh a bit more and be harder on drives, I have to say the BY260's in our boat still sound nice just not as loud as V8's! The latest generation of common rail diesels are economical and the way to go for the future.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #3

Interests: boats 'n' beer.
Boat name: HTS Perkins and Missjagerbomb.com
Boat make: 1969 33' Don Shead class 2 and 1972 Phantom 23
Engines: HTS has twin Perkins 300's and a Jaguar 4.2l in the Phantom
Cruising area: Mounts Bay

Any pictures?
deerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #4

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhound View Post
Any pictures?
Of your cars please???
Old 17-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

Interests: Racing Bizzarrini, Lister Chevy, Lotus 15, Maclaran M1C and soon to be old boats!
Boat name: Snoopy
Boat make: Magnum 28
Engines: Chevy small block

Many thanks for the advice. My thoughts are that a big block chevy should be a good choice and I would hope to achive 450bhp. The age and design of the boat [1969 Magnum] means that it will never be very fast, but I hope she will be good in heavy seas. As far as I can see the most important thing will be to make her reliable. I would hope to achive 45kts but to do so I expect to have to change the drive which at the moment is a very uggly Volvo system and looks like it would cause a lot of drag. Is the leg a major factor in performance? and if so what should I be looking for.
When I get home I will post pictures of cars on the sight, the Lister and Lotus have been out racing regulary, the other 2 are being rebuilt at the moment and should be out racing next year.
bizzarrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

Interests: boats 'n' beer.
Boat name: HTS Perkins and Missjagerbomb.com
Boat make: 1969 33' Don Shead class 2 and 1972 Phantom 23
Engines: HTS has twin Perkins 300's and a Jaguar 4.2l in the Phantom
Cruising area: Mounts Bay

I'm putting a pair of new diesels and boxes and drives in HTS, for reliability. We want to see these older boats out on the water doing their thing - racing, and if you dont have reliability you'll not be happy. I can get the original engines for HTS, but replacement pistons will have to be individually made, and other parts virtually impossible to source. She would have to be towed behind another boat to get her to plane, with compressed air injected into the intakes....No I think we have moved on a bit since then. I will be fitting Lancing Marine surface drives with the single central rudder, very similar to her original rig, and with only one moving part - the prop shaft - simples!! look forward to seeing you out there, and the very best of luck. Nick
deerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #7

Interests: Boats & Boats
Boat name: Kalaazar & " Side Winder "
Boat make: Fairline Targa 48, Magnum 27 Sport (1971)
Engines: Volvo 73P`s 430hp. Dart/Bontoft 383 ci`s
Cruising area: Poole Bay Etc

Quote:
Many thanks for the advice. My thoughts are that a big block chevy should be a good choice and I would hope to achive 450bhp. The age and design of the boat [1969 Magnum] means that it will never be very fast, but I hope she will be good in heavy seas. As far as I can see the most important thing will be to make her reliable. I would hope to achive 45kts but to do so I expect to have to change the drive which at the moment is a very uggly Volvo system and looks like it would cause a lot of drag. Is the leg a major factor in performance? and if so what should I be looking for.
When I get home I will post pictures of cars on the sight, the Lister and Lotus have been out racing regulary, the other 2 are being rebuilt at the moment and should be out racing next year.
I used to part own and race that boat back in the late `70/early `80`s.
That is heavy rough weather boat for it`s size. When George Green shipped it in from the US it had the original very heavy Mk3 Stern drive even pre dating the (TRS) design and a single big block 454ci rated at 325 Hp. Due to the size and weight of the engine and drive I think the whole drive train was offset because of the diameter of the prop it used to swing.I also used to race against Snoopy in a Smuggler 28 "Freebooter" with a pair of race Volvo Engines and Hi speed drives. We were much lighter and faster in the flat but lost out to Snoopy in the heaver seas. I now have a 1971 Magnum Sport which I am putting through a full restoration. I am fitting a pair of "Warm" small blocks which we have both bored and stroked to 383ci on Bravo 1 Drives because I want the boat close to original but with a modern twist. There were very few single engine Magnums those days.
Your chose of engine and drive etc is Dependant on how much of a purist you want to be and how much you are willing to spend ?
Old boats are only cheap to buy, after which they are just as expensive if not more than a new one because you have to take it all apart first and put right the problems before you can start the rebuild back to what you want it to be. Not that I would do it but a sister boat to Snoopy in the US was fitted with a pair of 300Hp outboards and would run at 80mph plus. However that comes with a very large health warning and requires detailed race preparation
work.
Anything else you may wish to know you are welcome to call me.07836 763443
Ian Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
As Snoopys proud new master I have decided that she should be allowed to stret h her legs in competition again so I have enterd the RB12 race.
Came across this and may be able to give you some info on her from the early years. My dad (David Philp) was the driver (and mechanic) in the early 70s for George Green, I've seen a picture somewhere here on Boatmad of her in Viareggio in '72, I'm the kid with the fender on the engine cover! We (the family) used to live in an old bread van which towed her around europe for racing. I also remember her sitting in Bosham car park/boat yard (in the 80s?) for a long time. If anyone has any pictures of her (or us!) from the early 70s I would love to see them. Dad lives in Morocco now so will see what he has next time I'm there.

Nick Philp is offline   Reply With Quote