Boatmad.com

Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #1

Interests: photography, powerboat racing, motogp, anything that goes fast!

Cowes Race Report 2009

Whatever you think about the Cowes Classic you have got to take your hat of to
Mike Lloyd and his staff, for putting on the Race.
I expect there are a few saying wouldn’t race there again, but to put that amount of boats on the start line in the present economic climate has got to say something about teams wanting to race in this type of event with all classes racing together.
As a part of O.R.D.A , they would love to have all the classes race with them next year.
The Race
Before the start of the race, standing in the pits listening to the weather briefing, some of the crews were saying they were going to take it easy at the start. From where I was positioned between Hurst and Fort Victoria it looked like a sprint race to the Needles.
By moving the start back into the Solent, it gave the crowds on the shore a chance to see a race.
It was a great win for ‘Cinzano’ and a credit to the crew racing such a classic boat.
‘Team25’ must really be disappointed (putting it mildly). That’s two races where they were leading only to have mechanical problems. Next year watch them go.
Great race by ‘Relentless’ to finish 3rd. Ok so ‘Hans Bohinc’ broke down so close to the line. But at the end of the day you have got to cross the finishing line to get your points. Points means prizes.
From were I was at Fort Victoria I would have put money on ‘Hot Lemon’ coming 1st
But what do I know, I only take photos.
While the main race was going on we had the end of season shoot out involving the V24s, 2ltr and 1.3s.with the boats racing to ‘Poole’ and back to Cowes.

V24s.
Looking at the points before the race, everyone was in with a ‘shout’ of winning.
After their bad run of mechanical problems ‘Scotty and Bubbles ‘in V56 had to win, It was still looking good for them even coming in second behind the eventual winners Terry and Neil in V3, only to be DQ for missing a mark. A 3rd place was good enough for Lance and Peter in boat V24 to become 2009 Champions.

2LTR.
Ian Stirling in C11 being the true racer he really is, only needed cross the start line as he was already 2009 Champion. Being the competitor he is, Ian and his navigator Alex did the whole race and won. It was fitting that Brian and Pat in C13 who finished 2nd in the race were runners-up in the Championship.
Young Frank Rose and Chris Endicott in C9 who were leading the race had to retire after a mishap with a Honda Boat.

After struggling all the way out to the Needles with a slipping prop, young Ashleigh and dad Adrain in B92 called it a day only to be told afterwards if they had made it to the Bridge Bouy they would have completed enough distance to gain enough points to win their Championship. They certainly deserved something getting that far in those conditions as they did. .So it was Matt and Stuart in B75 who were Champs.

Overall winners in the Cowes-Poole -Cowes’ was boat 42, the Fountain of Dean Gibbs and Dave Brown .

With the possibility of the World Championship Marathon Races coming to Cowes in August 2010, it is a chance for Cowes to re-establish itself as the premier venue for Offshore Powerboat Racing.