Boatmad.com

Old 27-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally posted by Black_Tornado
LorenZo can you post yours pictures?
I second that request! Lets see everybodies old photo's! To all reading this with photo's stuffed in the loft in boxes - get busy!! How about it LorenZo?

littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #122

Interests: Time Trialling
Boat name: Manx Cat
Cruising area: From Shoreham

Will get searching - will be delayed probably a week as I need to go down to mi Ma & Pas to find. Which will be ding anyway

LorenZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2006, 02:38 AM   #123

Interests: Sportscar racing IMSA / Restoration of old offshore race boats...I own the 35 foot Cigarette Spirit. Benihana
Boat make: Banana boat, 28SS Cigarette, 35 Foot Cigarette
Cruising area: Narragansett Bay / Atlantic Ocean

We are trying to save as many of the old race boats as we can here in the States.

We really believe that they will be the next hot discovery in historic racing, like old sports cars were a few years ago

We are working with a major auto show owner to display some of these boats at next years show. Think of the high grade of show like......Pebble Beach. This show we are working with, is on that same level.

Eventually we hope to start a race series for the old boats. Old hulls with new power and drives will be allowed as we feel it would be too hard to find old Kiekhaefer stuff to make some of these boats complete. Clones are out, we don't want to see 25 KAAMA's lined up in the pits.

We have one person restoring an old 38 Bertram and we do know of some others that could be restored if the interest is there. Are there any old offshore race boats over there that would be interested in making the trip next year for the show?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bertram port in tow.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	8654  
Top Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #124
Brazil

Interests: Old cars
Boat name: No boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Tornado View Post
Pangare' Gringo of the brazilian car seller Franz Wallace,raced in England races Needles trophy and CTC in 1975 and won the UIM World Championship in that year.
Then disappear after two races in South America early in the 1976.
The boat,like said me my friend Littlenige,was incidentally destroyed in a attempt to make it a mould.
Wallace Franz , an old friend of mine, is an very special person indeed. Now he is retired (around 80 years old), living in a small city named Caravelas, Bahia state. He owned Instron, a factory that made car parts for Vokswagen, G.M. Ford...
I need to ask him about what happened to the Pangaré Gringo (he told me that he sold the boat in the 80´s), but I saw this boat stored in the Yatch Club de Santos in 1980, in god shape, warming the 2 big V8 Kiekhaefer.
See:
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1975_.jpg.html
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1975_.jpg.html
In 1975 he showed up several pictures in the Sports Ilustrated Magazine
Mogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #125

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
[QUOTE=Mogar;153242]Wallace Franz , an old friend of mine, is an very special person indeed. Now he is retired (around 80 years old), living in a small city named Caravelas, Bahia state. He owned Instron, a factory that made car parts for Vokswagen, G.M. Ford...
I need to ask him about what happened to the Pangaré Gringo (he told me that he sold the boat in the 80´s), but I saw this boat stored in the Yatch Club de Santos in 1980, in god shape, warming the 2 big V8 Kiekhaefer.

Mogar, thanks for the precisations.
As Nigel (Littlenige) has already said it seems that the Bertram 38' has gone destroyed in a fool attempt to do a mould of it.
You perhaps in Brazil you can give us other info about.
Would be beautiful comments of Wallace on its years in offshore and to know the origins of the name Pangarč Gringo.
Any pictures of the boat in the Yacht Club De Santos times?
Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #126

Interests: Boats
Boat name: Bertram Competition 38
Boat make: Bertram 38
Engines: Merc 600Hp Blown
Cruising area: Atlantic/Coast/St Johns river

Hello all, will be nice to hear all the knowledge this site has to offer.
B38
Bertram38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #127

Bertrum 38 Comtetion

HI,

HI,BLACK TORNADO.

A long time ago 1975,I would very much like to get a copy of the picture you posted on page 5, post 85.
The picture is of PANGARE GRINGO, ( RELIABLE YANKIE )
I was on throttles at the time help in obtaining one would be much appreciated.

THE pic was taken in BOURNMOUTH BAY,on the leg from S/W SHINGLES to WEYMOUTH OFFSHORE mark.
REGARDS
MAURICE HOLMAN
mojo?offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #128

Bertrum 38 Comtetion

HI,BLACK TORNADO.

A long time ago 1975,I would very much like to get a copy of the picture you posted on page 5, post 85.
The picture is of PANGARE GRINGO, ( RELIABLE YANKIE )
I was on throttles at the time help in obtaining one would be much appreciated.

THE pic was taken in BOURNMOUTH BAY,on the leg from S/W SHINGLES to WEYMOUTH OFFSHORE mark.
REGARDS
MAURICE HOLMAN
mojo?offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #129
Brazil

Interests: Old cars
Boat name: No boat

Pangaré Gringo

[QUOTE=Black_Tornado;153244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogar View Post
Wallace Franz , an old friend of mine, is an very special person indeed. Now he is retired (around 80 years old), living in a small city named Caravelas, Bahia state. He owned Instron, a factory that made car parts for Vokswagen, G.M. Ford...

Mogar, thanks for the precisations.
As Nigel (Littlenige) has already said it seems that the Bertram 38' has gone destroyed in a fool attempt to do a mould of it.
You perhaps in Brazil you can give us other info about.
Would be beautiful comments of Wallace on its years in offshore and to know the origins of the name Pangarč Gringo.
Any pictures of the boat in the Yacht Club De Santos times?
Some years after...I don´t have any picture. The origin of the name is that Wallace allways named his boats "Pangaré", that means somethig like "good horse". The first was just Pangaré, an brasilian brand Carbrasmar, wood, with 2 Volvo 4 cyl./stern. The second was Pangaré Trio, also Carbrasmar 33´ fiber, w. 3 Volvos 6 cyl.(3 x 200 HP), stern. The last was Pangaré Gringo. Gringo because was an american / foreign = Bertram. Best regards!
Mogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:47 AM   #130

Remembering Pangaré Gringo

Hello To All...

Pangaré Gringo is an very serious matter to me.

My sailbaot was parked right next to her from 1981 until 1984 (when I sold my boat). It was in Iate Clube de Santos, SP Brazil.

I was awed by the world champion boat, and its conquests... also met Mr. franz ( I was 14 by that time.) an one of his sons or skippers ( who also drove a red 56 Thunderbird.)

I remember clearly a sunny sunday on december 1979 when they took her out for one of her last spins in the seawater. I was impressed by the six wheeled cart, the impressive and bare metal polished Mercruisers drives and strange propellers.

On that day I remember clearly how se stood with the stern almost sank in the water. Also I never forgot the thunderous sound when she appeared running at an incredible ( to a 14 year old boy) 70 knots.

I spent some time talking to the skipper ( do not know who he was) asked if they were corvette engines and he explained me what a Kiekhaefer was all about.

Well.. as log as I had that sailboat from 1981 until 1984, I never saw her in saltwater again.

Years had passed and I knew that Mr Franz bought a house in Avaré Lake ( some 250 km away from SP) and a friend of mine claimed he saw her roaring in the lake in late 80,s.

In 2002 I went to a boat builder called Magnum in Avaré Lake ( https://www.facebook.com/lanchas.magnum) with my boss at the time. I asked about her and he told me they cut the hull in a project to duplicate it... the words "we cut it" really hurt me. There were no remains...

By the way: PAngaré is a "country mutt horse", a slow and stubborn one. Gringo is a foreigner... He had named his boats "Pangare" as a joke... there was a Pangaré trio, a 32 with no superstructue and 3 engines driven by volvo penta 280 drives. This boat he sold to the fitipaldi brothers... no knews about its wherabouts...

I collectted the very few thing I found from her.

I fell glad to inform this to few people who care and know what it takes to be a wolrd champion.

HOW do I post photos here???

Maybe I assemble a Blog About her....
kikobarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:48 AM   #131

[QUOTE=kikobarros;252385]Hello To All...

Pangaré Gringo is an very serious matter to me.

Many thanks Mr. Mogar from Brazil!!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #132

Hello Kiko!

We are pleased to hear your stories, if only because they confirm our worst fears.

To attach photographs (which would be great to see), click on the Reply button, then when the box appears, above it you will see the different options for writing, such as B,I,U etc. In the line above are more symbols including a smiley face. Next to the smiley face you will see a paper clip. Click on that. Another window will then appear. From here you then find your photograph on your computer and upload it. If you continue having problems, send me a message and I will email you in more detail.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #133

pictures...

there they go!!!

The picture in the dry dock is in Santos Yacht Club. Circa 1980 (notice in the bow, the name has to be written again with a d2j - mandatory for her to navigate in Santos). Notice the bare metal drives and no propellers. The picture is not mine.

The boat with three sailors and a ugly tall cockpit is "Pangaré Trio", ( 3 Volvo engines, hence the name Trio) a hot rodded Carbrasmar 32 (probably one of theyr first fiberglass hulls). although it shows a brazilian flag, I am not shure if that boat ever raced outside Brazil.

I have no info of where the other pictures were taken, but they are centainly during one of the two seasons she challenged the world championhip.

One of the pictures stated tha Mr. Franz´s throtle man was Mr. Bobby Moore.

its sad that Trio survived and Gring was "decomissioned"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PANGARE GRINGO _1975_.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	43520   Click image for larger version

Name:	good_old_racing_days_3_20120727_1658566347.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	43521   Click image for larger version

Name:	bertram38.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	43522   Click image for larger version

Name:	1975 Wally Franze and Bobby Moore b.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	43523  
Old 10-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #134

The Hero Himself

Mr. Wallace Franz... his current picture at Facebook
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #135

Great! Thank you! If you have more we would love to see them! The first picture I think is by Graham Steven's offshore archive. If you go here you may find more pictures:- http://powerboatarchive2.co.uk/index.php?/category/43
Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #136

What happened to the other domain, powerboatarchive.co.uk?
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #137

Interests: Offshore powerboats/Motor racing
Boat name: no
Boat make: no
Engines: no
Cruising area: no

Send a message via AIM to Black_Tornado Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Tornado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikobarros View Post
there they go!!!

The picture in the dry dock is in Santos Yacht Club. Circa 1980 (notice in the bow, the name has to be written again with a d2j - mandatory for her to navigate in Santos). Notice the bare metal drives and no propellers. The picture is not mine.

The boat with three sailors and a ugly tall cockpit is "Pangaré Trio", ( 3 Volvo engines, hence the name Trio) a hot rodded Carbrasmar 32 (probably one of theyr first fiberglass hulls). although it shows a brazilian flag, I am not shure if that boat ever raced outside Brazil.

I have no info of where the other pictures were taken, but they are centainly during one of the two seasons she challenged the world championhip.

One of the pictures stated tha Mr. Franz´s throtle man was Mr. Bobby Moore.

its sad that Trio survived and Gring was "decomissioned"

Wallace Franz and his Pangarč Trio came out from Brazilian waters long before the Pangarč Gringo. Exactly in the cold waters of Sweden, especially for a Brazilian, off Oregrund in 1968 for the Getingloppet.
Then Europe will have to wait until 1975 to see him again, this time in the waters not far more tepid of the Channel, with the gringo 38' Bertram with whom he won the first and only offshore World Title for Brazil and the same Franz.

Among the photos you posted the first is a shot of Graham Stevens and the location is in England,Poole? While the third is not Franz Wallace with Pangarč Gringo but Sammy James with his Whittaker Moppie a sister boat to that of Brazilian.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Doc 002.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	43526  

Black_Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote