Boatmad.com

Old 18-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #1

Interests: POWER BOAT RACING
Boat name: BIG AIR
Boat make: PHANTOM 19
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: BRISTOL CHANNEL

Chine Walking advice

as there's not a lot happening on here I thought I'd,pick the brains of all you experienced power boaters .I was reading an advert for one of the powerboat training courses and it said learn to combat chine walk,I 've only experienced this once or twice and just held on tight and nearly poo'ed my pants but don't really know whats the best course of action not so much in boat set up but driver imput ie;accelerate/slow down,Trim up/Trim Down,steer into it if so which way,any help appreciated.If boat set up is the answer then feed back on this as well please

NIC SURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Silence!!!... I kill you

Interests: Powerboat racing, Travel
Cruising area: South Coast

Training sounds like a good idea.

Old 18-11-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Ringle@der

Interests: Water Ski Racing.
Boat name: Both called ‘Irresistible’.
Boat make: Bernico F1 Twin, Monterey 265SC.
Engines: 2 x Mercury 300XS's, Yanmar 315.
Cruising area: South and east coasts. Eastbourne Marina.

Chine Walking

Start off with the basics. Make sure your mounts are solid and your steering is tight.
gar163y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #4

Chine Walking is one of those real seat of the pants sort of things. It never ceases to amaze me how a lot of people drive a boat like a car and only move the wheel to turn, and seem quite happy to roll with the flow. I don't know if you have hydraulic steering but it makes it more difficult to control the walk when it's vague about the straight ahead, you wind up looking like your in one of those american cop chases. Feel it through your backside and you will start to predict the walk so small steering inputs can control it, if it walks left small inputs right and vice versa. Keep the steering moving and it's far easier to control. IMHO it's not something you can easily teach it's something that comes with time. Every boat is different but try and drive through the walk, abruptly lifting off when you shit yourself only makes it worse at first, small amouts of trim in will asist with regaining control and remember practice practice practice.
Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #5

Interests: Fast Boats, Fast Cars, Loose Women
Boat name: 197 / Well Dodgy Too
Boat make: Cyclone 21ft Twin
Engines: 2 x Mercury Offshore ??
Cruising area: Essex Buoy

chine walking

you have to go with the flow on this one try to antisapate what the boat will do next most times there is a rythem to this so as the boat starts to drop of to the right [small movments] turn left and vice verse if this starts to get to much dont back off just trim in a little till you have control and start again best of luck hope you have big pants dodgy
dodgy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
A30
Registered Ozone AbUser

Set up?

Yes to ALL the above but boat set up is a Major factor.

We need boat specs.
Type/Make Model
Engine
Mounted centrally?
Ride height of anti cav plate above bottom of hull
What type of prop your running
Trim tab position
What speed does the walking occur
What is the max speed
Does the boat have a manufacturers plate with maximum designed engine weight and hp.

We found certain boats can have too deep a "V" (Ribs especially)and commonly too much stern lift causing the hull to ride on one side or the other. Many other factors can cause chine walk like wrong CG longitudinally or laterally.
Give us all some more tech info to chew over.

Regards
Stuart
A30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A30 View Post
Yes to ALL the above but boat set up is a Major factor.

We need boat specs.
Type/Make Model
Engine
Mounted centrally?
Ride height of anti cav plate above bottom of hull
What type of prop your running
Trim tab position
What speed does the walking occur
What is the max speed
Does the boat have a manufacturers plate with maximum designed engine weight and hp.

We found certain boats can have too deep a "V" (Ribs especially)and commonly too much stern lift causing the hull to ride on one side or the other. Many other factors can cause chine walk like wrong CG longitudinally or laterally.
Give us all some more tech info to chew over.

Regards
Stuart
Hi I think after talking to Berty me calling it 'Chine Walking 'was probably inapropriate,the sensation I experienced was when accelerating at aprox 50 mph on a mildly choppy sea the boat tipped to right and then proceeded to go left right building in stature until nearly on its side,it might have just been see conditions but I nearly pooed myself and If it is a set up problem that I can adjust to stop/reduce it then great.
I have just changed a few things on the boat so its now
Phantom 20
XR2 20" Mid
CMC 5" set Back Hydraulic lifter-now fitted
Engine now centred-was 1.2" to the right
When at full height of lifter point of bullet is level with bottom of boat-was prevoiusly 3" below
Now has SeaStar Pro Hydraulic Steering-was ride glide
For Races will be using 23P Lazer I expect although might try 21P Off Shore but as these are the only props I have I'm open to suggestions.
Not Sure of current top speed as never GPS it but told it should be approx 70 MPH
Fuel Tank in the rear as far back as it will go previous owner used to race it and said he moved it forward then,Trim/Tilt Pump and Lifter Pump on right,Battery on left(No Room on Right)
No Trim Tabs Fitted
No Bow Tank
I've not tried it like this so
Any Help with set up appreciated but please bear in mind I use it for leasure skiing as well as intending to do some races next year
Old 19-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #8

Boat make: Phantom 18
Engines: Rude 150HO
Cruising area: Windermere/ Barrow

Chine Walk: Severe side-to-side rolling of the boat. It actually means to roll from chine to chine but it is also used for less severe rolling, although always severe enough to scare or cause a loss of control. Essentially, this is a characteristic of high speed V-bottom boats, where the boat is balancing on the pad or very bottom, further aggravated by the drag of the lower unit. Chine walking must be compensated for by steering input from the operator.

Sounds like the set up is pretty good. A friend of mine had a very similar set up on a P20 (Terminator). That one rocked from side to side in a straight line at any speed. The only way to try and combat it was to steer against it.
We've put it down to the play in Hydraulic steering. Great for leisure use but not for racing.
Good luck!
Will

Just so you know they ran that set up at record week last year with a 225 promax and ran 68mph to start, got 77mph by the end of the week with a few tweeks.
willwood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #9

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwood6 View Post

Sounds like the set up is pretty good. A friend of mine had a very similar set up on a P20 (Terminator). That one rocked from side to side in a straight line at any speed. The only way to try and combat it was to steer against it.
We've put it down to the play in Hydraulic steering. Great for leisure use but not for racing.
G
Terminator's now got double ride guide steering and fitted with a 2.5 efi and doesn't chine walk at any speed.In my opinion hydraulic steering is crap you can't feel what is happening so you cannot correct it.

We tested loads of props on a Phantom 20 and found that a 4 blade prop works best, ie Trophy and Renegade, a Yam pro was also good but the quickest was a Raker.
Old 19-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #10

Interests: Petrolhead
Boat name: Wayne Kerr
Boat make: Phantom xl
Engines: Mercury 2.5, 200(ish)
Cruising area: Essex, Hampshire, Mediterranean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
Training sounds like a good idea.
Absolute class!
Wayne Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #11
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Terminator's now got double ride guide steering and fitted with a 2.5 efi and doesn't chine walk at any speed.In my opinion hydraulic steering is crap you can't feel what is happening so you cannot correct it.

We tested loads of props on a Phantom 20 and found that a 4 blade prop works best, ie Trophy and Renegade, a Yam pro was also good but the quickest was a Raker.
I think it's fair to say that hydraulic and ride guide both have their fans!

Wasn't it the Trophy that Hutchy was using when it blew out coming over the finish line? I guess they are good up to a certain speed!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #12

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
I think it's fair to say that hydraulic and ride guide both have their fans!

Wasn't it the Trophy that Hutchy was using when it blew out coming over the finish line? I guess they are good up to a certain speed!
Cookee wrong Terminator, the one i'm on about is a standard layup boat not an ultra lightweight boat.
Old 20-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #13
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Cookee wrong Terminator, the one i'm on about is a standard layup boat not an ultra lightweight boat.
Sorry I was just referring to a Phantom 20 in general - I take Hutchy's boat was an ultra lightweight one then? I think we did OK with around 970kg then!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 09:45 AM   #14

Boat make: Phantom 18
Engines: Rude 150HO
Cruising area: Windermere/ Barrow

Cookee you did a good job for one of those blow up things!
willwood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
A30
Registered Ozone AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Hi I think after talking to Berty me calling it 'Chine Walking 'was probably inapropriate,the sensation I experienced was when accelerating at aprox 50 mph on a mildly choppy sea the boat tipped to right and then proceeded to go left right building in stature until nearly on its side,it might have just been see conditions but I nearly pooed myself and If it is a set up problem that I can adjust to stop/reduce it then great.
Phantom 20
XR2 20" Mid
When at full height of lifter point of bullet is level with bottom of boat-was prevoiusly 3" below
For Races will be using 23P Lazer I expect although might try 21P Off Shore but as these are the only props I have I'm open to suggestions.
Not Sure of current top speed as never GPS it but told it should be approx 70 MPH
Fuel Tank in the rear as far back as it will go previous owner used to race it and said he moved it forward then,Trim/Tilt Pump and Lifter Pump on right,Battery on left(No Room on Right)
No Trim Tabs Fitted
No Bow Tank
Any Help with set up appreciated but please bear in mind I use it for leasure skiing as well as intending to do some races next year

Sounds like you need to trim "OUT" a bit, Thus cousing the hull to ride more on its stern rather than its flat sides of the "V".

The Phantom 19 (For example) will do that anyway at certain speeds with such a ride height.

Are you testing with an even crew weight distributed nicely
A30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by A30 View Post
Sounds like you need to trim "OUT" a bit, Thus cousing the hull to ride more on its stern rather than its flat sides of the "V".

The Phantom 19 (For example) will do that anyway at certain speeds with such a ride height.

Are you testing with an even crew weight distributed nicely
Hi currently driver and passenger are approx the same weight,I've just given up smoking so by the the time I get to race next year will probably be a FAT F....R if its anything like last time I tried to give up(put on 2 stone in three months).although hoping to get out and get some winter practice and if its ruff will hopefully shake some pounds off.Not smoking will hopefully mean I can save some money for fuel etc and if the Government get the country sorted out people might start buying vans again and I can earn a living.I've allready told the misses if it doesn't pick up to pay my entry fees I will sell a couple of the kids on E Bay
Cheers
Old 20-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #17

Boat name: G4, Missconduct
Boat make: DAC, Phantom 18
Engines: Mercury 280 ROS, Mercury 280 + S3000 electrics
Cruising area: Windermere & Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC SURRY View Post
Phantom 20
XR2 20" Mid
No Trim Tabs Fitted
No Bow Tank
You caught a rail, either trim out or sharply turn left and then back to straight on to pull the right handside of the hull from the water.

Brookp01 is offline   Reply With Quote