Boatmad.com

Old 11-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #1

Concerns of safety

I have been lead in this direction to this forum as I believe lots of sports boat owners use this forum as I have major concerns with the use of a power boat in the Solent.
The boat in question is a white phantom used in the western Solent area, last year myself and another boat were anchored off colwell Bay when this boat and another similar moored next to the beach started up and just went on to the plane past other boats anchored up with no respect for the 8 knot limit or the safety of others around. Fast forward one year on and 3 weeks ago anchored off Totland Bay this same boat named tramp on comes past on the plane no more than 10 meters away, we had kids swimming in the water and playing on inflatable toys around the boats! The said boat then slowed down and drove between the boats to the beach, turned around and then accelerated away from the beach and was on the plane going past anchored boats with swimmers in the sea.
Common sense says to me that when going close to anchored boats whether they are inside or outside the 200m from the beach most will have swimmers close by in the water ,either give them a wide berth or go by slowly with caution. There are plenty of places to go as fast as you want in the Solent area.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

Agreed - there are some real twats around that give everyone else a bad reputation with powerboats.

More seriously I do a lot of sea swimming, kayaking etc - and it is a constant worry

Old 14-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
lee

Interests: Anything fast :)
Boat name: Katie
Boat make: Stingher 10m
Engines: 350 verado x 2
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I have been lead in this direction to this forum as I believe lots of sports boat owners use this forum as I have major concerns with the use of a power boat in the Solent.
The boat in question is a white phantom used in the western Solent area, last year myself and another boat were anchored off colwell Bay when this boat and another similar moored next to the beach started up and just went on to the plane past other boats anchored up with no respect for the 8 knot limit or the safety of others around. Fast forward one year on and 3 weeks ago anchored off Totland Bay this same boat named tramp on comes past on the plane no more than 10 meters away, we had kids swimming in the water and playing on inflatable toys around the boats! The said boat then slowed down and drove between the boats to the beach, turned around and then accelerated away from the beach and was on the plane going past anchored boats with swimmers in the sea.
Common sense says to me that when going close to anchored boats whether they are inside or outside the 200m from the beach most will have swimmers close by in the water ,either give them a wide berth or go by slowly with caution. There are plenty of places to go as fast as you want in the Solent area.
Unfortunately I've also witnessed the above 'behaviour', we've seen 'tramp on' come into Colwell bay a number of times on a weekend (western Solent is on our doorstep). Think he and some friends stop to have breakfast at one of the restaurants next to the slipway. I was on a RIB last summer anchored in the bay, fairly close to shore in amongst other craft, 'tramp on' left the beach accelerating hard and flew past us, the other boats and onto the solent, his mate in another white phantom was following quite close behind, again on the plane but after seeing all of us shouting and waving our arms he slowed down, sort of waved an apology and went past us looking a bit embarrassed ( I was pretty mad at the time and I hope it showed ). Thing is theirs swimmers, kayakers, paddle boarders kids on inflatables etc etc at most of the beaches and bays around the south coast, it an't rocket science to respect other water users and act accordingly in a SAFE manor, as pointed out by the OP, the seas a big enough place to go fast without endangering anyone else.
Local bylaw on the island states up to 200 yards from the shore its a 8 knot limit, not weaving between anchor boats and swimmers on the plane, engine screaming and a big rooster tail....................................lets just hope no one gets hurt.
Oh, don't get me wrong, we've all seen idiots on every type of water craft driving inappropriately, however the the above individual seems to be asking for an accident to happen
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #4

Interests: sex if pos
Boat name: trampon
Boat make: phantom 21
Engines: merc 230 drag
Cruising area: solent

I would like to apologise for my actions and it won't happen again
marky63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky63 View Post
I would like to apologise for my actions and it won't happen again
Hi Marky,

Thank you for your reply to this post, I would just like everyone to enjoy the water safely and have fun, if this avoids an accident happening I'm happy.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote