Old 24-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

Interests: Powerboating, Squash, Running, Horseracing
Boat name: FAT BOY
Boat make: Cougar 27'
Engines: EVINRUDE G2 300
Cruising area: Orwell, Harwich, East Coast

Send a message via AIM to Childsy
Cougar 27 for re spray

Hi i'm looking for some recomended sprayers who could completely respray my Cougar 27, hull and deck, i would do all or most of the prep work. I live in east anglia but prepared to travel.
Cheers
Mark

Childsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

Hi Mark and congratulations on your purchasing the 225 Cougar. Did you buy the white one that was sale in Brighton Marina ? Any photo's ? Are you going to race it or is it for pleasure ?

Just in case you are not aware they were built using Vinyl Ester resin and any repairs need to be done in Epoxy resin and filler, otherwise will not stick well.
Mine had repairs with polyester resin and I put a screwdriver behind most of them and they popped out like a non stick frying pan.

If its going to be your pride and joy and you are going to keep it, the only way is to turn it up side down prep it and paint it properly then leave the paint to go rock hard for a month then put it back up the right way and repeat the process. The most important part is the preparation and secondly a good sprayer, as you cant just paint one side then go down the next as you will just get over spray and it wont flow out. When we did mine we used a slow thinner and painted six feet of one side then six feet of the other and repeated untill we got to the end of the boat.

I will ask my painter if he is interested in painting another one, but be warned it not cheep, not because he is expensive but because they are so big and so much to spray. I expect for a good paint job is going to be 2-3K

Regards David

PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

try Desty marine at Hamble Point Marina - southampton. they do that kind of thing every single day. some great results.
jason phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #4

cougar re-spray

Hi David,
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly.
Yes it was the cougar down on brighton marina, i bought it through e-bay although it was on the yaghtworld sales sight, i must admit the pictures on yaghtworld made the boat look fantastic, when i picked it up yesterday i was a little dissapointed, not looked after by a proper boat lover, On the plus side of things as it's a fantastic looking shape and design and for the fact i got it for a just a little over 10K i intend on getting it back to where it should be and looking pristine, and yes it will be my pride and joy and no i will not be racing it.
Getting back to painting it i am intrigued as to how the hell you get the boat upside down and supporting it whilst upside down, the colour i want to re-paint is going to be a pearlesant white (metalic) with a laquered finish, not the easiest way forward maybe but that is what i want. I would be very interested in your painter and his advice and also more advice from yourself if we could keep in touch if that's ok with you. A fellow cougar owner is going to be of great interest and importance to me.
I will send you some pictures of my boat as soon as i have some. I basically picked the boat up yesterday and dropped it off at the marina near me and left it there, will be going to it over the weekend to look over it with fine tooth comb and to start some planning and take lots of pictures.
look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
Hi Mark and congratulations on your purchasing the 225 Cougar. Did you buy the white one that was sale in Brighton Marina ? Any photo's ? Are you going to race it or is it for pleasure ?

Just in case you are not aware they were built using Vinyl Ester resin and any repairs need to be done in Epoxy resin and filler, otherwise will not stick well.
Mine had repairs with polyester resin and I put a screwdriver behind most of them and they popped out like a non stick frying pan.

If its going to be your pride and joy and you are going to keep it, the only way is to turn it up side down prep it and paint it properly then leave the paint to go rock hard for a month then put it back up the right way and repeat the process. The most important part is the preparation and secondly a good sprayer, as you cant just paint one side then go down the next as you will just get over spray and it wont flow out. When we did mine we used a slow thinner and painted six feet of one side then six feet of the other and repeated untill we got to the end of the boat.

I will ask my painter if he is interested in painting another one, but be warned it not cheep, not because he is expensive but because they are so big and so much to spray. I expect for a good paint job is going to be 2-3K

Regards David
Old 25-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #5

Thanks for your advice Jason, i'll give them a call and have a chat with them down there
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason phillips View Post
try Desty marine at Hamble Point Marina - southampton. they do that kind of thing every single day. some great results.
Old 25-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #6

Think it may have belonged to Daze on this forum, if so have a pic below taken in Teinmouth. The Sock cover I bought second hand for £300 think they came from Cougar and were £1250

Ok, turning it up side down.

I can only tell you the way I did it, and that is I made a 100mm x 50mm 4mm thick box section with two eye bolts welded to it, so the bolts go through the pop up cleats at the rear which it designed to be lifted by. On top of the box section I welded another central lifting eye. The reason for this is that if you just used two chains on one hook and the other ends of the chains on the cleats, as you lift it will pull the two cleats together and stress the hull. I then used a gantry with a chain hoist and lifted the back end a few feet above the trailer. I then used a large engine hoist to lift the front end and lifted a few feet above the trailer. Then you can pull the trailer out.

Then drop the boat down supporting it evenly on a load of old car tires, it must be supported evenly other wise it will cause stress cracks.

Then rap some webbing around the center point of the hull and connect up to car tow hitch. Drive away slowly rolling it onto more car tires. Once up side down load back onto trailer using the first step in reverse. As you drop it back onto the trailer make a wooden support frame distributing the weight evenly and strap down.

Choosing a paint and color is the difficult bit. The best thing below the waterline is epoxy, I was told that two pack car paint can blister below the water line, probably depending on how long it is left in. The ideal thing is epoxy paint as used in osmosis treatment, but no good for top as yellows with sun light. May be best Epoxy white bottom and car two pack pearlesent top and sides above water line. Down side of this is if you scratch or damage it, difficult to blow in without it noticing as you have no panels to loose it. For this reason I would recommend a solid color. If you paint it to get the best finish all surface and skin fittings will have to be removed.

I used International perfection Roshel Red on the bottom, it is not actually recommended for below the water line but as that was what was used a few years previously without problem I decided to use it again.

When i got my boat it was only my intention to paint the bottom so I painted it red as the top was red. After doing all the work I decided to paint the top. If I had known I was goint to paint the whole thing I would have painted it the same color as Miss Gecho, I think it would be stunning on a Cougar as similar shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	39987   Click image for larger version

Name:	geico.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	39988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image001.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	39989  
Old 25-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #7

This would be my second preference as a color, lime green
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1b.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	39990  
Old 26-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #8

^ thats kawasaki green, i know 'coz thats me in it!!!
serious3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #9

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Interesting post. I will be facing same dilemma probably next year. I know my boat is going to live on a trailer. But she will spend random days or maybe even a week in the marina. none of the paint manufactures will put a time limit on a painted bottoms longevity in the water.
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen76 View Post
Interesting post. I will be facing same dilemma probably next year. I know my boat is going to live on a trailer. But she will spend random days or maybe even a week in the marina. none of the paint manufactures will put a time limit on a painted bottoms longevity in the water.
Hi Glen

If you have a rib, bottom and side's best way forward is a good epoxy. I don't know why but most other paints start to blister or may be its osmosis when used below the waterline. I think 2 pack solvent based car paints are OK above waterline. Not a great fan of new water based car paints, I find they are not as durable and horrible to paint. Solvent car paints are still available for commercial vehicle painters. i also gave mine a couple of coats of wax whilst it was still up side down, i hope this will help seal it.

Other thing is if you leave it in the water for week is take it for a good run at least ever other day as washes most growth off. Probably going to crane mine in and out because i have new axles and realistically will end up cheaper than rebuilding the bearing and breaks each year, and jet wash the bottom as i lift it out.