Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 22-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Donnors are Mercedes 320 CDI 6 inline

Ingredients :
Engine :



Turbos :


Stand alone ECU :



Wiring :


Custom manifolds :


__________________

Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Engine stripped :



Exhausts :











First fit :



started the intake manifold :

__________________

Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96




If interested I'll keep updating the post.

Powergoal = 400 HP (half the weight of a Chevy BB)
Max 6000 RPM
Turbo's are watercooled VGT from garrett & can make 230HP a piece.
I have found a genius who is doing the programming.
The ECU is develloped here in Belgium.

I am putting 2 of them in one off my boats (raffshore F1) with Bravo 1 XZ & imco lowers
Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Tony Davis's Avatar
 
Country: Job Centre
Location: In a box
Occupation: Chaos's gofer
Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: In a box
Posts: 5,201
That all looks pretty impressive. Have you still got the workshop/showroom on the canal? I visited once with a couple of friends and Nico, probably around 6 years ago..
__________________
Chaos for Moderator.
Tony Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 75
this is definitely one project worth following, not so much more guys building there own diesels anymore... Looking forward for more updates as you get along Have fun

Cheers,
Rob.
ufix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 496
Recon those engines are realy strong had an old E320CDI with that motor, have heard of them being good for half a million miles plus. Have a freind that does a lot of Mercedes and only problem with those engines is injecter copper gasket leaks quite often.

Sure you have seen this link of Black smoke racings Mercedes with the same engine as you, but allways puts a smile on my face. The car has a Scania truck turbo and they are now putting out around 500bhp reliably



Realy interested to see how this project turns out, I think that will make and excellent marine engine with a bit of developemnt. Did think about using that engine instead of the later V6 but because of the extra length I would have lost the rear seats, also the later one is lighter with the aluminium block. However with a twin setup the engine will be quite narrow so you will be able to keep them quite close.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Scand's Avatar
 
Location: West Coast of Norway
Occupation: naval architect
Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West Coast of Norway
Posts: 882
Very impresive! Whats the estimated build cost?
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scand View Post
Very impresive! Whats the estimated build cost?
That is a very good question
Good used Engine 3000 - 5000
Computer 3000
Turbo's 1200 (good used)
Sensors (EGT, EMP, MAP, Rail pressure, ...) 800
Intercoolers ?
Custom work ?
Injector upgrade 600
Bigger High Pressure Diesel pump : 450 (used)
Programming
Dyno time

So I would think around 15000 max ... ?
Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Country: uk
Location: liverpool
Interests: sailing ribing
Boat name: llyn raider
Boat make: 7m xs rib
Engines: 200 merc opti
Cruising area: n wales

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: liverpool
Posts: 214
very cool stuff will it run on red deisel or the god stuff from petrol stations?
__________________
I have a short attention span, So i need at least two projects/basket cases at all times
andyxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxs View Post
very cool stuff will it run on red deisel or the god stuff from petrol stations?
What a nice question to ask.
Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffshore View Post
That is a very good question
Good used Engine 3000 - 5000
Computer 3000
Turbo's 1200 (good used)
Sensors (EGT, EMP, MAP, Rail pressure, ...) 800
Intercoolers ?
Custom work ?
Injector upgrade 600
Bigger High Pressure Diesel pump : 450 (used)
Programming
Dyno time

So I would think around 15000 max ... ?
Great thing about this is if you blow an engine you just go and buy another from a breakers say 1000 to 1500, all the other expencive bits just bolt on.

Did think with this, if it was a legal race setup and was racing don't bother with sealed sytem just run raw water to save weight and fit 2 new engine each season 3000, would be cheap racing for 2 x 400bhp engines.
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #12
numbskull
 
Jon Fuller's Avatar
 
Country: United Kingdom
Location: South
Occupation: none
Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: South
Posts: 15,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy21 View Post
Did think with this, if it was a legal race setup and was racing don't bother with sealed sytem just run raw water to save weight and fit 2 new engine each season 3000, would be cheap racing for 2 x 400bhp engines.
Making 400hp from that engine would almost certainly mean running a sealed system, if only to be able to run it pressurised to stop steam pockets forming in the hot areas.

Steam pockets = ultra rapid self destruct.

Diesels like a nice even warm block too, raw water cooling isn't too good at achieving that.
__________________
.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Making 400hp from that engine would almost certainly mean running a sealed system, if only to be able to run it pressurised to stop steam pockets forming in the hot areas.

Steam pockets = ultra rapid self destruct.

Diesels like a nice even warm block too, raw water cooling isn't too good at achieving that.
Inteligent opinion, explain

How can steam pockets be created in a fresh water system
Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
numbskull
 
Jon Fuller's Avatar
 
Country: United Kingdom
Location: South
Occupation: none
Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: South
Posts: 15,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffshore View Post
Inteligent opinion, explain

How can steam pockets be created in a fresh water system
The nature of the beast in a raw water cooled engine is that without a sealed system, with radiator cap/pressure relief valve (in the case of my V8 diesels, @ 15psi) the system is 'open' to the water exit so cannot hold a pressure. Without the system 'at pressure', the coolant can boil at any place within the cooling system where the material (block etc) exceeds 100 degrees C. Once a small pocket boils, the gas & vapour produced forms an insulation barrier and stops the colder surrounding coolant getting near the area and the chain reaction to super heated steam pocket is VERY rapid. Held to a pressure, this min boiling point is increased substantially. That is why the thermostat in a raw water cooled engine (typically a GM V8) is in the 60 degree C region, to ensure the engine is over cooled and not allowing any part of it to reach the critical 100C, whereas most closed systems use a thermostat close to 100C (in the 90+ region) My engines run 88 degree thermostats and 15psi coolant caps.
A pressurised system also stops foaming and bubbles as they aren't so easily formed with plenty of psi squashing the coolant.
__________________
.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
The nature of the beast in a raw water cooled engine is that without a sealed system, with radiator cap/pressure relief valve (in the case of my V8 diesels, @ 15psi) the system is 'open' to the water exit so cannot hold a pressure. Without the system 'at pressure', the coolant can boil at any place within the cooling system where the material (block etc) exceeds 100 degrees C. Once a small pocket boils, the gas & vapour produced forms an insulation barrier and stops the colder surrounding coolant getting near the area and the chain reaction to super heated steam pocket is VERY rapid. Held to a pressure, this min boiling point is increased substantially. That is why the thermostat in a raw water cooled engine (typically a GM V8) is in the 60 degree C region, to ensure the engine is over cooled and not allowing any part of it to reach the critical 100C, whereas most closed systems use a thermostat close to 100C (in the 90+ region) My engines run 88 degree thermostats and 15psi coolant caps.
A pressurised system also stops foaming and bubbles as they aren't so easily formed with plenty of psi squashing the coolant.
Yes, all true.

There alot of pro & contra for raw water or sealed systems.
If I was going to run the engine at standard rated HP & RPM I would have gone the sealed way with a heat exchanger.

Now, in a engine were heat will be my biggest enemy, I decided to try raw water (and its easier )

Thing is that with the raw water pump & speed off the boat you always create water pressure in the engine and I am not affraid of pockets that boil because off the amount of water running through the engine.

The thermostat I will leave at first to see how it reacts and then go from there
Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Ciao's Avatar
 
Country: England
Location: Great Horwood

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Great Horwood
Posts: 2,372
Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Off Thread

Mum, Julie, Martin, James, Charlotte & I send our best!

Miss those warm evenings in Spain with you eating the most, drinking the most & still swimming 10 laps of the pool after!
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
numbskull
 
Jon Fuller's Avatar
 
Country: United Kingdom
Location: South
Occupation: none
Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: South
Posts: 15,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffshore View Post
Yes, all true.
The thermostat I will leave at first to see how it reacts and then go from there
Be careful, If I was determined to run raw water cooling on a diesel (which I wouldn't), I would have a restriction at the water exit to maintain some sort of pressure within the block. Remember V6 mercs such as XR2 had restrictor washers in place of thermostats for that very reason, removing them to 'let it free flow' caused problems.

All JMHO

Good luck.
__________________
.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Be careful, If I was determined to run raw water cooling on a diesel (which I wouldn't), I would have a restriction at the water exit to maintain some sort of pressure within the block. Remember V6 mercs such as XR2 had restrictor washers in place of thermostats for that very reason, removing them to 'let it free flow' caused problems.

All JMHO

Good luck.
All 2,5 engines running more then 8000 (longtime) big restrictors, under the small hole.

Advantage that we have with our computer is that we monitor all parameters all the time, water pressure will be one off them
Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
new vs old high pressure pump

Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Country: Belgium

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Mum, Julie, Martin, James, Charlotte & I send our best!

Miss those warm evenings in Spain with you eating the most, drinking the most & still swimming 10 laps of the pool after!
I was training since I added the 2011 Barcelona Ironman to the list

Nice to hear from you, give me a ring sometime!

Love to the familly !!
__________________

Raffshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×