Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
Registered User
 
shape josh's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Interests: small race boats, big race boat....anything with speed really
Boat name: Joyride
Boat make: Sharp 19' so I was told! I think it's a Predator?
Engines: mercury 1150 thunderbolt 6cyl... Mercury 1995 115hp 4cyl
Cruising area: inter islands

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Posts: 129
Engine info?

I was just wondering if any of you guys could tell me about this outboard?

cheers guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10152444_10202527893211449_6227860704217966283_n.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	41654   Click image for larger version

Name:	10012470_10202527892491431_7299599244712401502_n.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	41655  
__________________

__________________
The faster you go the more stable you are, just don't turn!
shape josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Country: Uk
Location: Poole Dorset
Occupation: Marine engineer
Interests: Model boats and mercury v6
Engines: Mercury v6
Cruising area: Poole

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Poole Dorset
Posts: 1,636
Talking It looks like a 125 Hp

These motors were built for the American market and Were put on fletches Lovely engine when they're running right But very heavy 125 hp
__________________

Sam1cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Country: UK
Location: Surrey
Occupation: Motorsport Development inc Engine Managment
Boat make: 21ft
Engines: Various
Cruising area: Solent / Kent / Cornwall

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 375
Arnt these mercury branded force engines? And it says 115 on the cowling...
beyondhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Country: Uk
Location: Poole Dorset
Occupation: Marine engineer
Interests: Model boats and mercury v6
Engines: Mercury v6
Cruising area: Poole

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Poole Dorset
Posts: 1,636
Talking 115 is correct my mistake

And now it is not a force engine is made by Mercury Like I say it was made for the American market not the UK And so was the 125 Which is the same engine You don't see too many in the UK there're good engine
Sam1cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Registered User
 
shape josh's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Interests: small race boats, big race boat....anything with speed really
Boat name: Joyride
Boat make: Sharp 19' so I was told! I think it's a Predator?
Engines: mercury 1150 thunderbolt 6cyl... Mercury 1995 115hp 4cyl
Cruising area: inter islands

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1cats View Post
And now it is not a force engine is made by Mercury Like I say it was made for the American market not the UK And so was the 125 Which is the same engine You don't see too many in the UK there're good engine
Funny you should mention Fletcher's as it came off one, the engine runs well (but has been sat idle for little while now, but has been kept in good order!)

It's a Mercury 115hp... it will be going on the back of my Sharp 19 running a 20 inch pitch lazer 2 prop ( I do have a 21 inch high five too)

should be fun! and quick....
__________________
The faster you go the more stable you are, just don't turn!
shape josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
Registered User
 
ring-21-yamaha's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Occupation: Burning Petrol
Interests: Boats & Bikes
Boat name: The Doc
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Yam proV 200
Cruising area: River Shannon

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Merc 115

Just did some work on a pals 125, is yours the 2l in-line 4 with the 2+2 config? Looks pretty similar
ring-21-yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
Registered User
 
shape josh's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Interests: small race boats, big race boat....anything with speed really
Boat name: Joyride
Boat make: Sharp 19' so I was told! I think it's a Predator?
Engines: mercury 1150 thunderbolt 6cyl... Mercury 1995 115hp 4cyl
Cruising area: inter islands

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring-21-yamaha View Post
Just did some work on a pals 125, is yours the 2l in-line 4 with the 2+2 config? Looks pretty similar
Umm...it's an in-line 4 cylinder do you mean 2 litre?
was just curious on the sort of speed it would be capable of on a Sharp 19 fitted with a lazerII 20" pitch prop,

started perfectly after checking it over aswell!

cheers
__________________
The faster you go the more stable you are, just don't turn!
shape josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Registered User
 
ring-21-yamaha's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Occupation: Burning Petrol
Interests: Boats & Bikes
Boat name: The Doc
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Yam proV 200
Cruising area: River Shannon

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Merc 115

Yep, 2 litre. Does yours run on 2 cylinders at idle and brings on the 3rd and 4th about 2,500? The reason I ask is the 125 works this way and didn't start from cold easily or idle too nicely. Seemingly this is a trait of the 2+2. We went with NGK Iridiums and made a huge difference with this motor. Also installed a set back bracket and raised the motor to 3" below pad, the Laser II likes lots of water and didn't perform well with the lift. Ended up going with a Stiletto Advantage 23" and she turns it at 5,200rpm. I had to do a bit of looking to find a 3 blade cupped prop in the 4.25 gearcase
ring-21-yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Registered User
 
shape josh's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Interests: small race boats, big race boat....anything with speed really
Boat name: Joyride
Boat make: Sharp 19' so I was told! I think it's a Predator?
Engines: mercury 1150 thunderbolt 6cyl... Mercury 1995 115hp 4cyl
Cruising area: inter islands

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring-21-yamaha View Post
Yep, 2 litre. Does yours run on 2 cylinders at idle and brings on the 3rd and 4th about 2,500? The reason I ask is the 125 works this way and didn't start from cold easily or idle too nicely. Seemingly this is a trait of the 2+2. We went with NGK Iridiums and made a huge difference with this motor. Also installed a set back bracket and raised the motor to 3" below pad, the Laser II likes lots of water and didn't perform well with the lift. Ended up going with a Stiletto Advantage 23" and she turns it at 5,200rpm. I had to do a bit of looking to find a 3 blade cupped prop in the 4.25 gearcase

I'm guessing it does run 2+2 as idles rough but started easily from cold? I don't know any of the RPM's as hadn't hooked the tac gauge up at that point, engine is not lifted just mounted via the normal way but the skeg and prop are in good position
__________________
The faster you go the more stable you are, just don't turn!
shape josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Registered User
 
ring-21-yamaha's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Occupation: Burning Petrol
Interests: Boats & Bikes
Boat name: The Doc
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Yam proV 200
Cruising area: River Shannon

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Merc 115

I'ld be interested to see how you get on once you have her in. We more or less replaced all we could on the 125, mounts, steering pivot bushes the works but the Iridiums were well worth it BR8-HIX, it's like a new engine. If you do go for them you'll need to re-gap the plugs to 1mm as standard gap is0.8mm. The 125 is on a Skeeter 550s which is a 18' cuddy and has to weigh a lot more than the Sharpe. Were getting 53mph with the Stiletto and got 46mph/5250rpm with the Laser II. Wot range for these motors is 4750-5250rpm and I was told not to run them hard on the limiter, something to do with the crank not being balanced
ring-21-yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered User
 
shape josh's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Interests: small race boats, big race boat....anything with speed really
Boat name: Joyride
Boat make: Sharp 19' so I was told! I think it's a Predator?
Engines: mercury 1150 thunderbolt 6cyl... Mercury 1995 115hp 4cyl
Cruising area: inter islands

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring-21-yamaha View Post
I'ld be interested to see how you get on once you have her in. We more or less replaced all we could on the 125, mounts, steering pivot bushes the works but the Iridiums were well worth it BR8-HIX, it's like a new engine. If you do go for them you'll need to re-gap the plugs to 1mm as standard gap is0.8mm. The 125 is on a Skeeter 550s which is a 18' cuddy and has to weigh a lot more than the Sharpe. Were getting 53mph with the Stiletto and got 46mph/5250rpm with the Laser II. Wot range for these motors is 4750-5250rpm and I was told not to run them hard on the limiter, something to do with the crank not being balanced
well, put her down today just for a test run (no bells or whistles)
sits good on the water... GPS read 53 knots! very happy so far but some more work needs to be done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	joyride.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	42147  
__________________
The faster you go the more stable you are, just don't turn!
shape josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Registered User
 
ring-21-yamaha's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Occupation: Burning Petrol
Interests: Boats & Bikes
Boat name: The Doc
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Yam proV 200
Cruising area: River Shannon

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Merc 115

"more to be done", lol, famous last words! But I certainly can't talk as I can't seem to leave my Ring alone . 60 mph is great fella, you'll be giving a few lads a surprise with her. Pals 46mph was with 20" Laser II as well so yep more in her alright
ring-21-yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Registered User
 
shape josh's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Interests: small race boats, big race boat....anything with speed really
Boat name: Joyride
Boat make: Sharp 19' so I was told! I think it's a Predator?
Engines: mercury 1150 thunderbolt 6cyl... Mercury 1995 115hp 4cyl
Cruising area: inter islands

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring-21-yamaha View Post
"more to be done", lol, famous last words! But I certainly can't talk as I can't seem to leave my Ring alone . 60 mph is great fella, you'll be giving a few lads a surprise with her. Pals 46mph was with 20" Laser II as well so yep more in her alright
to be fair it is spartan in side so very light!... and yeah never seem to leave them alone always have to tinker lol, (fitting a foot throttle next couple days)
not counting the speed as spot on due to been a hand-held GPS device but still very fast! and out stripped a Phantom 16 with a mercury 1998 90hp left him standing haha he wants re-match

all i want now is a bigger tank :/
__________________
The faster you go the more stable you are, just don't turn!
shape josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #14
Registered User
 
ring-21-yamaha's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Occupation: Burning Petrol
Interests: Boats & Bikes
Boat name: The Doc
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Yam proV 200
Cruising area: River Shannon

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Merc 115

Ah now, first time out and you've cracked 60 and laid waste to a Phantom! Sure you couldn't ask for more! As Sim1cat said they're a good old motor, certainly making all their ponies when in good nick. She's a nice looking package from your pic. Here's 1 of the 125, we gave her a lick of black and new decals when apart for mounts etc, not that I'ld want to be giving you ideas! Lol let the tinkering commence and keep posting, I'ld be curious to see where you end up

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	42148
ring-21-yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #15
Registered User
 
shape josh's Avatar
 
Country: uk
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Interests: small race boats, big race boat....anything with speed really
Boat name: Joyride
Boat make: Sharp 19' so I was told! I think it's a Predator?
Engines: mercury 1150 thunderbolt 6cyl... Mercury 1995 115hp 4cyl
Cruising area: inter islands

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Isles of Scilly.....(use google)
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring-21-yamaha View Post
Ah now, first time out and you've cracked 60 and laid waste to a Phantom! Sure you couldn't ask for more! As Sim1cat said they're a good old motor, certainly making all their ponies when in good nick. She's a nice looking package from your pic. Here's 1 of the 125, we gave her a lick of black and new decals when apart for mounts etc, not that I'ld want to be giving you ideas! Lol let the tinkering commence and keep posting, I'ld be curious to see where you end up

Attachment 42148
oooh that's a beast!
wasn't what I expected to happen if I'm honest!
The guy who sold me the engine did look after it nicely, the next thing I'm looking into is hydraulic steering set up (not happy with cable) any help on that would be good?

most likely end up skint but smiling haha
__________________
The faster you go the more stable you are, just don't turn!
shape josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #16
Registered User
 
ring-21-yamaha's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Occupation: Burning Petrol
Interests: Boats & Bikes
Boat name: The Doc
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Yam proV 200
Cruising area: River Shannon

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 33
Merc 115

Skint but smiling, sure I'ld imagine all on this site can relate with that! Now onto the weird topic of steering. This is a weird one as I'ld imagine most people will have their own preference. The normal answer would be the one of the Telefex systems, now and this is a personal thing but I run a warmed up Yam 200 and get a good dose of chine walk at 70mph and I use dual cable rack and pinion as I find it easier to control the walk. If your not experiencing chine walk yet, you won't be far off and if I were to generalise I'ld say nearly most deep v hulls will experience this about 65mph+. Either way it's defo an aspect of your set up you need to look at running the speed your running. There are lots of pros and cons to all systems and it really comes down to a personal choice of what you feel to be best. I'ld suggest doing your research on all systems, lots of info out there and big differences in price too. So there you go, after reading what I've wrote I've been no help at all! No easy answer I'm afraid but homework is the key before you spring the funds
__________________

ring-21-yamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×