Boatmad.com

Old 26-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

evinrude 235 ? any info

Hi guys, I have found a 235 evinrude outboard for sale on ebay for £400, seller claims it has not been started for some 6 years, says it turns over by hand no probs and only known fault is an oil seal on bottom 0f leg, would this be a safe buy and what potential problems could I be looking at,model is E235 TRLCNE. (1982) sounds cheap ??

davey0476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #2

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

They drink fuel like you would not believe, my mate had a 150 VRO and that was bad enough, best check that you can still get spares for it before you commit to buying.

All the best
Paul

Old 26-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #3

Cheers

yeah I thought so, I'm just on the brink of buying my first boat, I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so dont mind a bit of work, but still dont know whether to buy a ready built boat or even what kind, first I fancied something like a p 18 or r 16 but now have found myself looking at other things which have inboard mercruisers as some say they are a lot more economical, and then theres the budget, only wanting to spend around £1500 to £2000 for my first boat,
Old 26-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #4

If i'm 100% honest, get a ready to run rig, i think you will struggle to get what i would call a good running rig for that money.
My suggestion would be a P16 but that is just my opinion, as i love them,with a 90hp of some description the best balanced outfit. What ever motor you decide to get please do some homework on parts.

Good luck
Paul
Old 26-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Interests: Boats, Jetski's, Wake Boarding
Boat name: Lord of the Rings
Boat make: Ring 21C
Engines: Mariner 2.5 200 V6
Cruising area: Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
If i'm 100% honest, get a ready to run rig, i think you will struggle to get what i would call a good running rig for that money.
My suggestion would be a P16 but that is just my opinion, as i love them,with a 90hp of some description the best balanced outfit. What ever motor you decide to get please do some homework on parts.

Good luck
Paul
As Paul says get a running rig you can sea trial first.

There is no such thing as a 'cheap boat' - buy the newest tidiest boat you can, take a newer/better motor over the boat/trailer, the latter can be polished later - turd motors can't..

Spent all of last year sort a 'cheap boat' off eBay, cost me a fortune.

Budget 5k and get a nice Ring/Phantom and go enjoy it - bargain boats are money pits!

Jim
Superjetjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjetjim View Post
As Paul says get a running rig you can sea trial first.

There is no such thing as a 'cheap boat' - buy the newest tidiest boat you can, take a newer/better motor over the boat/trailer, the latter can be polished later - turd motors can't..

Spent all of last year sort a 'cheap boat' off eBay, cost me a fortune.

Budget 5k and get a nice Ring/Phantom and go enjoy it - bargain boats are money pits!

Jim
Defo, we are not trying to put you off with the amounts but seriously you will just be gutted, i have saved a few people a good few quid as the were going to buy some serious old crap. the worst thing is when you go to the coast to launch and all your mates go off and you are pullling yours back out because your motor wont start. many of us on here have seen it and unfortunately some people will gladly push their old crap on to someone else.

Also, if you do spot a boat you like post it on here, some one may know the history too!!
All the best.
Old 26-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #7

Interests: powerboats / Ribs / Young Boys
Boat name: Luna-sea
Boat make: Sharp 19'6
Engines: Evinrude 235hp

hi davey i run a Evinrude 235 and it has been a challenging relationship to say the least. I have just finished a complete nut and bolt restoration on mine and can't wait to try it. Parts are still avalible as a lot of it is generic to the rest of the them i.e 150 175 200 etc. otherwise its all avalible in the states.

I think for the money if its all up together with good compressions and you can see it running its alot of engine for the money. fuel wise, at wide open throttle its up there with the best of these big 2 strokes expect it to do a 100 litres a hour, but treat it nice and in the past i have had a good afternoons fun for 60 - 80 quid.

As for the lower unit if the bearing housing comes out its plain sailing but be aware i have a gearbox here that is scrap because the bearing housing broke up whilst being removed due to corrosion i only needed to replace a dog clutch. ended up buying a new gearbox.

the whole 235hp thing is a bit of a con tho.... all other evinrude's v6 hp were taking from the prop except the 235 which is flywheel rated. so compared to a normal 200 there is no difference really. but there is always the the fact that its a 235...... and not a normal 200

hope this helps

Jon
odyssey aka Blue streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #8

Interests: powerboats / Ribs / Young Boys
Boat name: Luna-sea
Boat make: Sharp 19'6
Engines: Evinrude 235hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Defo, we are not trying to put you off with the amounts but seriously you will just be gutted, i have saved a few people a good few quid as the were going to buy some serious old crap. the worst thing is when you go to the coast to launch and all your mates go off and you are pullling yours back out because your motor wont start. many of us on here have seen it and unfortunately some people will gladly push their old crap on to someone else.

Also, if you do spot a boat you like post it on here, some one may know the history too!!
All the best.
some old peace of crap thanks renegade. i happen to quite like my evinrude but seriously that is some good advice above.... there is no such thing as a cheap boat and for a few quid more you could get a really nice package. like i said it's possibly a lot of engine for not alot of money... you wouldn't get a merc for that wedge. What you planning on putting it on ?????
odyssey aka Blue streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey aka Blue streak View Post
some old peace of crap thanks renegade. i happen to quite like my evinrude but seriously that is some good advice above.... there is no such thing as a cheap boat and for a few quid more you could get a really nice package. like i said it's possibly a lot of engine for not alot of money... you wouldn't get a merc for that wedge. What you planning on putting it on ?????
ERRRR so do i, I have run evinrudes for the last 8 years or so lol and i love my present motor!, my point was aimed at tired engines that people push on to unsuspecting punters.
main thing is you get to do a sea trial, and ideally when you get there the motor has not been run up prior to you turning up.
Old 27-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #10

Boat name: Johnny-Rude
Boat make: a few
Engines: Seagull with hi five prop

I would run a mile. I had a jonny 235 and it was a real chalenge, wheater you were going to get home or not. Water ports tend to block very easily leaving the top 2 cylinders on each V running very hot. That said for their physical bulk they are a fairly light engine. Thirst wise, have deep pockets, I ended up selling mine for breaking on ebay and was lucky in that 3 people were bidding hard and heavy at it, which pushed the price up to nearly £900 pounds so at £400 you could still break it yourself and make money on it.
Old 28-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #11

Well, cheers guys for all the advice it is apreciated, At having a further look and doing a few sums it seems that a used hull can be picked up for peanuts but the motors are the costly part, I've been looking and afew have caught my eye, a driver 560 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT and also a marshan 18 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT any thoughts on these ?
Old 28-05-2011, 09:01 AM   #12

Well, cheers guys for all the advice it is apreciated, At having a further look and doing a few sums it seems that a used hull can be picked up for peanuts but the motors are the costly part, I've been looking and afew have caught my eye, a driver 560 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT and also a marshan 18 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT any thoughts on these ?
Old 28-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #13

have also seen this alothough looks a tad tatty for the price http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT