Old 16-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #101

Boat name: Wildfire IV
Boat make: Sleekcraft 21 exec jr.
Engines: Chevy 454
Cruising area: Turku Archipelago/ Finnish Gulf

Quote:
Originally posted by kinfast
My Chaudron 33 has a shower, plus full galley + electric toilet +
LCD TV + Fridge/freezer. She still wants a yacht!!! still need help!!!

Cheers
Her reasoning for a yacht?
Is that a powerboat yacht or sailboat?
IF Sailboat let her read this.

The EASIEST WAY TO GET A DIVORCE IS TO BUY A SAILBOAT AND USING IT.....
Why go out with the family when sailing is a lot of work and docking is a pain...you steer get the sails down or something else ...wifey there has to contribute and when everything goes wrong and IT for 100% will with amateurs on board the shouting and yelling starts and the weekend is ruined.
At the dock the wife is in tears and the "captain" gets drunk...

On the other hand a big yacht is no better ..easy there too to F up.

Buy a bigger offshore boat and make it quiet.
A faster boat leaves all that diesel fuel vapors and exhaust behind that a big yachts sun and rear deck is full of.

And I talk about my own observations...thats why I only race sailboats and prefer twin offshoreboats with an open cockpit.

MikeyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 08:27 PM   #102

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Controversial

More threads please from Kinfast!

People may knock my mate on this site, but his threads always create controversy, and plenty of interest on this forum!

Splashes and bad boat build are one story, but my Father who can’t be bothered to sit in front of a PC (More interested in sitting in the sun, far from the UK ) would like it pointed out, that when he purchased his P16 (the second’ race deck ever made), it had crazing on the hull and deck plus structure problems, after its first race.

It was taken back to SB for repairs, only to be told “Hmmm…That’s interesting…..”

Interesting for Steve perhaps, expensive for my father.

At that same time (1982 May) a new (first) P28’ was being built, and I will not reveal that story. That is for the owner, to post.

Suffice to say that anytime a Phantom owner gets in his boat it’s down to SB’s early customers as much as his build / design skills.

Moreover, if a Phantom is copied / splashed these days …good..

The boats were raced by guys that handed over there hard earned £ and gave their feedback to the boat builder for free.

If the Maltese, or whoever want to copy / splash , just remember, the older Phantom Boat buyers, can sit in their armchairs and say,

“I helped make that happen”

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #103

Interests: SPEED BOATS,MOTO G.P
Boat name: MOTIVATION
Boat make: MARSHAN 21
Engines: AINT GOT ONE!!
Cruising area: sea

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelcaine
the s**ts hit the fan now!!
Old 17-02-2006, 12:41 AM   #104

Interests: kids & fun
Boat name: Taboo Too
Boat make: Chaudron 33
Engines: 2 x 225 Merc Optimax
Cruising area: south coast & med

If u prefer twin open cockpit powerboats, cool. If u ever want a blast in my boat, no problem. Just ask. I owe u for the advice.
Wife sees yachting as a great family bonding/communication
thing, even though she has 1st hand experience, of what you pointed out. The problem seems to be that god gave women their own mind & mouth. Pre kids these tend to work quite well,
however post kids everything seems to change. They only have feelings now, which totally over ride the intellectual & rational thought process. This leads to the mouth becoming over worked in the vocal department & made totally redundant in other important departments!

In my experience, my case doesn't seem to be exclusive. Which makes me sad, but at the same time happy as I know I'm not suffering alone. This view is probably selfish. Sh1t maybe she is right, as thats what she is allways tellung me.

Cheers Paul
kinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #105
The Doc

Re: Controversial

Ciao, I've read this a couple of times and have absofkinlutely no idea what point your trying to make?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciao
More threads please from Kinfast!

People may knock my mate on this site, but his threads always create controversy, and plenty of interest on this forum!

Splashes and bad boat build are one story, but my Father who can’t be bothered to sit in front of a PC (More interested in sitting in the sun, far from the UK ) would like it pointed out, that when he purchased his P16 (the second’ race deck ever made), it had crazing on the hull and deck plus structure problems, after its first race.

It was taken back to SB for repairs, only to be told “Hmmm…That’s interesting…..”

Interesting for Steve perhaps, expensive for my father.

At that same time (1982 May) a new (first) P28’ was being built, and I will not reveal that story. That is for the owner, to post.

Suffice to say that anytime a Phantom owner gets in his boat it’s down to SB’s early customers as much as his build / design skills.

Moreover, if a Phantom is copied / splashed these days …good..

The boats were raced by guys that handed over there hard earned £ and gave their feedback to the boat builder for free.

If the Maltese, or whoever want to copy / splash , just remember, the older Phantom Boat buyers, can sit in their armchairs and say,

“I helped make that happen”
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 01:41 AM   #106

Interests: kids & fun
Boat name: Taboo Too
Boat make: Chaudron 33
Engines: 2 x 225 Merc Optimax
Cruising area: south coast & med

Thanks for your kind words. I had the 1st Marlin Mirage out of the mould back in 1988/9?. Peter only charged me £1200 for bear boat, at the time M Ring wanted £6000 for the same.

1st time in the water it became apparent that built in gill transom
was to high. Design/mould was changed, I had to cut down transom 3" & make good all fittings myself. Hull developed holes & cracks in Gelcoat, I did gel repairs.

These problems were all annoying & time consuming to rectify.
However I knew I was buying the protatype & the cost reflected this. The plug was all marlin woodwork, however the hull design/concept was a direct copy of the scarab hull wedge, but obviously on a different scale. Previous to the mirage, Marlin had splashed the 18 Ring & Peter made them for a few friends. He did this to keep his UK company going as he made & designed big 50
footers, but ran into cash flow problems. So he splashed a british design to keep a british design & boat company going. How do people feel about this? Note did not work still went bust.

Just a note, his splashed 18 rings chinned as bad as the real thing, hence he built the mirage. Which was a bit better, but still chinned over 60mph. There again all light, single engined over powered boats will tend to chine ride. Simple physics.
If you have such a boat that does not, congratulations!!

I agree with Ciao, his point is (as some do not understand), SB started out with a good basic idea/concept. This would have been influenced by other designs, as nothing about the Phantom design could be descibed as radical. His early boats & production techniques had flaws, as most small start up companies have.
SB used his customers money to develope his product. This is OK if the customer new & accepted he was financing Phantoms development. Early customers should have got a serious discount for this financing & testing facility. This is no insult to SB in anyway, all good designs/concepts are evolved through testing & improving. I thank all early customers, as they enabled SB to produce/develope a great product & stay in business.

I'm personally happy that someone else has continued where SB finished. ie they continuing with the evolution process deriveved
from his ideas. If their product is too close to SB designs for some
peoples liking, then they have a choice in not buying 1. Me personally, I would like to see where SB designs end or evolve too.

Just a note, not meant to be antagonistic, but why did SB not patent his design. I maybe wrong but I can find no patents owned by Phanton or SB.

Lets just enjoy

Cheers Paul
kinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #107

Cruising area: tyne

what if two british companies went tits up because one splashed the others design that would be a bigger shame
sinkunit0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 08:41 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelcaine
the s**ts hit the fan now!!
Lesson learned here many moons ago...every boat cracks when driven hard... everyone might not believe but for example Argos have a slight questionable reputation because old raceboats seems to be broken here and there when sold for pleasure boaters and then the rumors start when the old raceboats gets fixed.
One thing to remember too..a raceboater probably doesn´t expect his boat to stay together X amount of years either.

Chris-Craft Stingers are considered here and in the States too by the authorities dangerous with the cracking keel syndrom.

Wellcrafts Scarab 38KV´s have known to be stiffened and repaired here.
Cigarettes and Donzis too and almost every other brand that has hit the water here.

The result has always been from riding too hard in the Baltic chop.
Some american (not any of the above) companies have never believed the warranty claims and disputes from here or then just neglects them.
Old 17-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally posted by sinkunit0
what if two british companies went tits up because one splashed the others design that would be a bigger shame
If you don´t have the time/skill to protect your fabrication then it´s mainly your own fault.
Yes It happened also to my grandfather when he was starting his business , you can be bitter and blame all your life for someone doing that to you but the best payback is to outsmart the competitor who stole your work.

If SB was getting gray in the hair and wanted also to go out thats probably fine with him otherwise Chaudron might be in big trouble.
Old 17-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #110

Re: Re: Controversial

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Chaos
Ciao, I've read this a couple of times and have absofkinlutely no idea what point your trying to make?
That the design is so good it earns to live longer than with just one builder...Case Aronow kinda...
Old 17-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #111

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally posted by kinfast
There again all light, single engined over powered boats will tend to chine ride. Simple physics.
If you have such a boat that does not, congratulations!!

Mine Doesn't
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #112

Boat make: DIESEL EXTRAVAGANZA 16'
Engines: MERC 1.7 DTI

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeyFIN
If you don´t have the time/skill to protect your fabrication then it´s mainly your own fault.
Yes It happened also to my grandfather when he was starting his business , you can be bitter and blame all your life for someone doing that to you but the best payback is to outsmart the competitor who stole your work.

If SB was getting gray in the hair and wanted also to go out thats probably fine with him otherwise Chaudron might be in big trouble.
Revenger Rib's started out because a smaller company splashed their hull's, now look at Revenger and the smaller guy went bust more than once I'm sure.
Gavin Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #113

Boat make: P23, P21, R20, RingRanger 25, Sabre
Engines: 225promax, xr2, EFI tuned, 6.2 mercruiser, suzuki 140 lol
Cruising area: littlehampton

i dont agree with copying, in fact i think its pretty f*cking low,

but just looking on the chaudron web site, and come on, even tho steve did create these beautiful looking boats and it may have caused probs by these pricks copying them, but if you were to buy one at least you/we would know we were riding in one of the worlds best looking powerboats regardless of who built it, you would still know it was an all british design!

look at the car industry, the mk5 fiesta and the mazda 121.
absolutly identicle, but with a mazda badge onit, same car same characteristics but diff name, does it really matter!!??

but copying is wrong and i dont condone it! and i would not buy one out of priciple!!!

its like TWOcers, they see some they like and just take it!
Old 18-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #114

Interests: Spreading the good word about boats with toobs

Quote:
[i]look at the car industry, the mk5 fiesta and the mazda 121.
absolutly identicle, but with a mazda badge onit, same car same characteristics but diff name, does it really matter!!??

[/B]
Errm, Ford owns Mazda, so not really good example!
Atlantic Xpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #115

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Alot of car manufacturers do engine and platford development together. The car company that really hacks me off, is Toyota they splash every F..ing design, I know they are reliable more the pity, and they have come up with the odd original great car, cant slag em off to much a mate of mine runs the biggest lexus forum in the UK, and now they have so much cash they could buy Porsche and scrap it, just for fun.....Sorry u can tell I hate Toyota
Old 19-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #116

Boat make: P23, P21, R20, RingRanger 25, Sabre
Engines: 225promax, xr2, EFI tuned, 6.2 mercruiser, suzuki 140 lol
Cruising area: littlehampton

how about the whole saab and subaru thing, now tht is just wrong!
Old 19-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #117

Saab and Scoob, thought that was not a bad idea, you not like?
Old 19-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #118
The Doc

Saab & subaru.

what wrong with that?

its gotta be better than MAzda & Ford (i'm mostly thinkin of Ford takin the MX6, a lovely car costing £20k; basterizing it and coming-up with the Probe......... a hunk o junk priced @ £25K+)
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #119

Agreed now,t wrong with a MX6 an owner can still hold his head high in public today, infact I know one proud owner who towes his Chaudron 25 regularly with it ! But a Probe you would have to hide it around a corner with a big paper bag over it
Old 19-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #120
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Quote:
Originally posted by cfun
Agreed now,t wrong with a MX6 an owner can still hold his head high in public today, infact I know one proud owner who towes his Chaudron 25 regularly with it ! But a Probe you would have to hide it around a corner with a big paper bag over it

feck that, i'd have the probe in full veiw, and put a big paperbag on the chaudron 25

Gav is offline   Reply With Quote