Boatmad.com

Old 18-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

Boat name: Un-named as yet
Boat make: Phantom 21
Engines: yam 225
Cruising area: Thames estuary Black water/crouch

Hi all, new on.

Big hello to everyone, new kid on the block. Found this site by luck whilst searching the net for infomation and must admit what a good bit of luck.

I have had a brouse through the forums and found some interesting reading. Im not completely new to boating but do have a question. My first boat was an unknown make, i was told it was a one off racing hull very tall boat with a very deep V it had a 3.8 E type jag engine in with a volvo penta 270 outdrive if my memory serves me right. My second boat was a Driver 440 eith an 85hp merc on the back with no tilt and trim so was a nightmare in shallow water.

Now i've decided to come out the wilderness and treat myself to another boat at long last (never lost the urge) Anyway whilst reading through the posts it seems obvious there are some very knowladgable people on the site, so it seemed sencible to join. I have been scouting the boat sites for a purchase and have so far found a couple that interest me. The first is this beauty, maybe some members know of this boat? And possibly advise me if it is a worthwhile purchase, as reading some of the posts there seems to be a bit of an opinion about Rings in favor of Phantoms, is this due to the Phantom being a better boat?

A gorgeous Ring 20 powerboat in bright Yellow!, in good condition for the age, recent new full wiring & loom, new steering helm and cable fitted, new bilge pump and battery, nav lights and a full set of dials fitted, stainless dash. The interior is in very good condition in Black with Yellow piping, good carpet etc, all very clean looking, 2x front seats with a bench type rear seat, alloy fuel rear mounted petrol tank, solid floor. The engine is a massive Mercury 2.4ltr 200hp V6 outboard engine running premix, just had a recent overhaul at a cost of £1400!, gearbox/power trim rebuild at £1000!, all compressions are very good and starts on the key everytime, runs well on tickover or full throttle, and pumps water fine, fitted 26p Chopper prop. The trailer is in good condition, full roller coaster type with swing-crib rear beam for easy loading etc, all rollers work and all there!, no rot in the trailer and will tow anywhere for the european buyers!, good winch and new jockey wheel, good tyres too, all ready to go package that can be used straight away!, i have some more pics if you wish and also a video of the engine running i can send to you at request, a few stress cracks and grazes here and there but nothing to detract from a very eye catching fun & fast boat!

The second boat i had my eye on is this one

Phantom 18 with a 200hp merc

The third is a Marshan 19 115hp (bit under powered for my licking though)

These are the 3 makes of boat i am looking at, which in your opinion is the best bet all are around the 2-3k mark which is my price range. I am drawn to the Ring (boat that is ) untill i read on a post the fall apart?

Thanks

C

Carl_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #2

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Don't buy that yellow ring from Dan Evans, aka Evans Marine, or dodgydan who used to be on here. He seems great but he's not, he's a con artist.

He screwed me over with the first cat i bought, the engine which was apparently just rebuilt blew up within 10 minutes. Just today i'm havig to sort out another mess exactly the same with a customer over here who bought a phantom from dan. Again the engine was 'just rebuilt'. His prop bush span, then not suprisingly his engine blew on his first outing! If you want to know details of my dealings with him then PM me, I'll be happy to give details.

Personally I'd look at the P18, the ring is a con, and to me the Marshan is an inferior boat and underpowered with an old engine. I'm a bit confused by the centre seat layout on the P18, but that's the only one i'd consider looking at.

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_B View Post
Big hello to everyone, new kid on the block. Found this site by luck whilst searching the net for infomation and must admit what a good bit of luck.

I have had a brouse through the forums and found some interesting reading. Im not completely new to boating but do have a question. My first boat was an unknown make, i was told it was a one off racing hull very tall boat with a very deep V it had a 3.8 E type jag engine in with a volvo penta 270 outdrive if my memory serves me right. My second boat was a Driver 440 eith an 85hp merc on the back with no tilt and trim so was a nightmare in shallow water.

Now i've decided to come out the wilderness and treat myself to another boat at long last (never lost the urge) Anyway whilst reading through the posts it seems obvious there are some very knowladgable people on the site, so it seemed sencible to join. I have been scouting the boat sites for a purchase and have so far found a couple that interest me. The first is this beauty, maybe some members know of this boat? And possibly advise me if it is a worthwhile purchase, as reading some of the posts there seems to be a bit of an opinion about Rings in favor of Phantoms, is this due to the Phantom being a better boat?

A gorgeous Ring 20 powerboat in bright Yellow!, in good condition for the age, recent new full wiring & loom, new steering helm and cable fitted, new bilge pump and battery, nav lights and a full set of dials fitted, stainless dash. The interior is in very good condition in Black with Yellow piping, good carpet etc, all very clean looking, 2x front seats with a bench type rear seat, alloy fuel rear mounted petrol tank, solid floor. The engine is a massive Mercury 2.4ltr 200hp V6 outboard engine running premix, just had a recent overhaul at a cost of £1400!, gearbox/power trim rebuild at £1000!, all compressions are very good and starts on the key everytime, runs well on tickover or full throttle, and pumps water fine, fitted 26p Chopper prop. The trailer is in good condition, full roller coaster type with swing-crib rear beam for easy loading etc, all rollers work and all there!, no rot in the trailer and will tow anywhere for the european buyers!, good winch and new jockey wheel, good tyres too, all ready to go package that can be used straight away!, i have some more pics if you wish and also a video of the engine running i can send to you at request, a few stress cracks and grazes here and there but nothing to detract from a very eye catching fun & fast boat!

The second boat i had my eye on is this one

Phantom 18 with a 200hp merc

The third is a Marshan 19 115hp (bit under powered for my licking though)

These are the 3 makes of boat i am looking at, which in your opinion is the best bet all are around the 2-3k mark which is my price range. I am drawn to the Ring (boat that is ) untill i read on a post the fall apart?

Thanks

C
Hi,the phantom is built a lot lighter than the ring and will be a lot quicker,i have had two of each,never heard about rings falling apart,they are good strong boats,the one posted on here must have been messed with,hence the problem post,200 on an 18 will fly,well in to 70s,ring will be 60plus,nothing wrong with trying them out first is there?Make your mind up after a 15 minute blast in each?If the guy wont let you have a run in it{you pay juice}walk away mate,plenty other boats in sea.
Old 18-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #4

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Kind of depends what you plan to do with it ??
Old 18-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #5

Interests: What apart from powerboating. Football, other forms of motorsport
Boat name: Tintorera Racing
Boat make: Tintorera 20
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: Medway / South Coast

The Marshan does not look like a 19. The 19 had a flater longer nose, and the screen has a lot more sweep on it. I raced ocr in one late 80's with a 115 mariner on, speed wasn't bad, better in rougher conditions.
S2art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 09:25 PM   #6

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

The phantom 18 has been for sale quite a long time hasn't it?

Sure I saw it advertised a while ago on ebay... Thought the single front seat was gay!
Old 19-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #7

Thanks for your reply guys, shame about the yellow ring i did like that boat but will take notice of the advice and keep clear of Evans Marine.

Yes i noticed the single front seat too, and must admit i wasnt struck on that set up either plus its too far for me. I will keep looking and definatly be back on the water this year in the mean time i will carry on injoying this site and checking the for sale ads too.
Old 20-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #8

Cruising area: tyne

phantom

just re rig the phantom to twin front seats its cheap enough
Old 20-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkunit0 View Post
just re rig the phantom to twin front seats its cheap enough
Was thinking about that, its a long way to go though, i'm in essex and the boat is at the other end of the country in Newcastle.
Old 21-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #10

Interests: Yodelling
Boat name: Veni Vidi Vici or Conked
Boat make: G.P.14
Engines: 4h.p. Mercury
Cruising area: Cap de Agde

Post Dodgy Dave on here.He will sort you a boat out,he is in essex as well
Old 21-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #11

That Phantom looks to be similar colours to Dave Wilcox's old MOD VP boat guess it's a N.E. Watersports supplied boat?
Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowdy View Post
Post Dodgy Dave on here.He will sort you a boat out,he is in essex as well
Dodgy Dave? Sounds ominus lol.

Got eye on this too

Marshan 21 200hp merc

Colour is a bit
Old 21-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #13

that pink boat is a total knacker i snapped the transom and put one of the knee through the floor . it nearly sank. it is not a good boat in any sense. I,m convinvrd it was made of tissue paper and prit stick
Old 21-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techteam View Post
That Phantom looks to be similar colours to Dave Wilcox's old MOD VP boat guess it's a N.E. Watersports supplied boat?
yes
Old 21-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #15

Interests: Boating
Boat make: Hydrostream HST
Engines: Merc 2.5 200
Cruising area: The Schelde

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Don't buy that yellow ring from Dan Evans, aka Evans Marine, or dodgydan who used to be on here. He seems great but he's not, he's a con artist.

He screwed me over with the first cat i bought, the engine which was apparently just rebuilt blew up within 10 minutes. Just today i'm havig to sort out another mess exactly the same with a customer over here who bought a phantom from dan. Again the engine was 'just rebuilt'. His prop bush span, then not suprisingly his engine blew on his first outing! If you want to know details of my dealings with him then PM me, I'll be happy to give details.

Personally I'd look at the P18, the ring is a con, and to me the Marshan is an inferior boat and underpowered with an old engine. I'm a bit confused by the centre seat layout on the P18, but that's the only one i'd consider looking at.

James
I agree. He listed a boat with a 2.5 promax for sale. Engine had a rebuilt he said. I asked for invoice but he didnt have it.

I asked him what parts were replaced. He said: the cranckshaft
Old 21-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkunit0 View Post
that pink boat is a total knacker i snapped the transom and put one of the knee through the floor . it nearly sank. it is not a good boat in any sense. I,m convinvrd it was made of tissue paper and prit stick
Thanks again for the sound advice, i will stay clear of that boat. That leaves the Phantom.

Old 21-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy View Post
I agree. He listed a boat with a 2.5 promax for sale. Engine had a rebuilt he said. I asked for invoice but he didnt have it.

I asked him what parts were replaced. He said: the cranckshaft
Glad to hear it's not just something he has against people from guernsey! The hulls seem to be fine but he seems to lie like mad about the condition of the engines, apparently everything's been rebuilt, but he never has any proof!
On the contrary i've heard dodgy dave is a very good guy and in my opinion would be well worth a shout. If you're not sure of what you're looking at then the assistance of someone in the know will be well worthwhile.

James

Old 21-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Glad to hear it's not just something he has against people from guernsey! The hulls seem to be fine but he seems to lie like mad about the condition of the engines, apparently everything's been rebuilt, but he never has any proof!
On the contrary i've heard dodgy dave is a very good guy and in my opinion would be well worth a shout. If you're not sure of what you're looking at then the assistance of someone in the know will be well worthwhile.

James
Im sure Dodgy Dave is a good guy i ment nothing derogatory towards him, its the name made me laugh, i have pm'd him. I have an idea in mind what im after, its just finding the right one, thankfully i found this site and everyone seems to know 1 boat or another thats for sale and have given me some good advice. I decided to let the Phantom slip as emailed the guy with some questions and never got a reply before listing ended, he may of not seen the emails but i was in doubt so i left it out.
Old 21-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #19

Personally I'd stick with a phantom or a ring for reassurance the hull was good to start with, then i'd go for the newest engine possible. To me the older cheaper engines seem to be more hassle then they're worth unless you particularly want a classic!
It shouldn't be too hard to find a nice 18 or something with a blackmax, xr2 or similar fitted. Once you've got the boat, if anything goes wrong with the powerhead at least you can swap it out for a multitude of others rather than having to change the entire engine.
Thats just my opinion though!

James