Boatmad.com

Old 27-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #1

Interests: Restoration
Cruising area: Channel Islands & northern French coast

Hunton Gazelle RS28

Do any of you guys know what sort of engines & drives the RS28 came with when new (BBC, SBC or V6)? It seems that some Huntons had Mercruisers (Puffa – 28 Gazelle) whilst others had Volvo Pentas fitted (Harvester Bread RS28).

Anyone know what engines were fitted in, Raven Estates, Harvester Bread & Make-a-Break when raced and are these boats still around?

Thanks

Kip

Coronet Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Raven Estates which later became Onyx had twin small blocks with OMC Cobra drives.

Old 28-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #3

Hunton Gazalle RS28

email/call Jeff Hunton: jeff@hunton.co.uk / Hunton Powerboats 01794 515236
He has a full history of every one made and I am sure he would be happy to talk to you.
Steve
Racedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I'll try to contact Mr Hunton tomorrow.
Old 29-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

Boat make: Whats in stock
Engines: Big
Cruising area: Everywhere

Good to hear one 28 in Guernsey is in safe hands. No record of a 28 called Dear Hunter, so must have been renamed.
We built 47 of the 28 models, nine were raced, most were either dual Mercruiser OMC V8 or Volvo 200hp diesel. The small blocks were Alpha drives mostly, we did two with TRS drives which are similar weight to the bravo. The biggest petrols we did were dual 330 hp big blocks, and ran over 60 knots, so the weight of the bravos option is ok. We did find that the Volvo single prop drive was slower than Mercruiser. The 290 hp Volvo struggled to do 50 knots, whereas the 260 hp Merc/OMCs did 56 knots. The 300 hp engines you have would be perfect, and the Bravos should work well and be pretty bomb proof.

There were 3 Puffa boats built, two with 290 hp Mercruiser and one with 260 hp OMC, Raven Estates also had OMC. Lady Arran had two boats, both with Mercruiser, the first 260s and the second 290s. Harvester Bread ran in the smaller A class and had Volvo AQAD 40 diesels.

Look forward to hearing from you, If you can send any more info or post any pictures we can probably trace her history.
Bus Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #6

Thanks for getting back to me so quicky...Well Bravos it is then.

I have found out this afternoon that "Dear Hunter" was owned by a lady who kept it in the Med somewhere before it was sold to a fella in Jersey and then subsequently rescued from there and brought to Guernsey.

The original engines were 120hp (perhaps 140hp) 4 cylinder Mercruisers with Alpha drives...seems underpowered to me with this set up. Once on this rock the then owner had a pair of V6 Yamahas fitted. He told me that he got 45 knots with those motors.

I'm going to pick up the history folder sometime this week and will let you know what I find. I'll also try to get some photos but it's looking a tad unloved at the moment.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #7

Yes remember now. Was sold to a very nice young English lady, Caroline Hitch who was an Investment banker or simmilar and lived in Monaco. She wanted the smallest sensible engines, so had 128 hp OMCs. It was built and delivered in 1988.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, sounds like Deer Hunter had an easy life.

Did mine get a smaller fuel tank or anything due to the smaller engines?

Found out today that the 28 that got ribbed was called "Shamanic" original owner may have been a chap called Dave Price.

Keep smilin

Chris
Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #9

Angry

Pretty sure the boat had the standard tank size.
Why would someone take a XRS 28 fitted with Mercruiser 350 Magnums and RIB it
Old 01-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #10

Really, was Shamanic an XRS?

I'm loading my gun
Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #11

It gets worse...there's some good news and some bad news.

The good news: Shamanic was spared the shame of being made into a rib but and here's the kicker

The bad news: 2 days ago the chap who owns Shamanic decided that he wasn't going to get around to working on it so decided to drive his JCB through it and this very afternoon he dumped the last remnants of Shamanic in the landfill

So Bus Pass, wanna join my lynch mob?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #12

Boat name: Interceptor
Boat make: Hunton Gazelle RS28
Engines: Marine Diesel VGT-500
Cruising area: South Coast / Solent

Hunton RS28

'Shamanic' RIP!

I have an RS28, the last one produced I believe in 1991. Named 'Duck n Dive' when I purchased her 10 years ago (now 'Interceptor'), she was originally rigged with a single Volvo AQ275C (250hp) and a DP290A drive. Flat out with a light load, a little tail wind and stainless props I made 35 knots @ 4100 rpm and economical cruising speed was 23 knots @ 3250rpm. The fuel tank is 50 gallons. This lucky Hunton is currently the subject of a complete major refit involving the replacement of everything electrical and mechanical with plenty additional equipment. I am installing the new Marine Diesel 6.6L VGT-500HP V8 diesel unit which has been mapped back to 350HP form with the torque pulled right back to prevent grenading the Bravo 3. When Marine Diesel Sweden release their new drive leg that has been designed for this engine (and fits the Bravo 6 bolt assembly) we shall plug in the laptop and unleash the full power and torque. I have yet to see another RS28 afloat (Im Solent based) so apart from Interceptor and Shamanic I would be interested to know where the other 45 are.
Charlie Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Do you remember this one Jeff? Twin Ovlov diesels.

It sank at town quay, with one engine in it and a bag of sand balancing it up (and obviously a hole in it somewhere) very sad. Survived all those years in Greece, only to sink in Southampton.

Thats the owners, Johnny 'I likes pink' Burden & Mick Ball on the pontoon with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0087.jpg
Views:	1478
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	28545   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Views:	1441
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	28546  

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #14

Greek Gazelle

Jeff can give you a lot more detail but this was taken in part ex when we built the owner a new 36 with twin Mercruiser diesels; went very well during a very eventful handover trip Jeff had in Greece.
I think the boat was bought by someone in Southampton after the sinking and some of the Hunton guy`s renewed the headlining & upholstery about 5/6years ago. Lost track after that.
Steve
Racedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #15

Well I've bought Deer Hunter (RS28) as referred to above. Monaco with OMC 4 pots then moved to Jersey and then on to Guernsey where it was fitted with Yamaha V6s and now I'm fitting SBC V8s

44 left to find for you Charlie
Old 11-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #16

On Deer Hunter there's a brass plate inside the cabin on the Port side with the following engraved on it "O. N. 718618" then under that "R. T. 4 45/100" (the latter is written as a fraction)

Any ideas anyone or is this something I should know
Old 11-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #17
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Probably to do with registration. Don't exactly remember what the O.N. part indicates but R.T 4 45/100 I believe refers to registered tonnage.
Old 17-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #18

The plaque is because the boat had a full registry when new.---++
Old 17-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
Do you remember this one Jeff? Twin Ovlov diesels.

It sank at town quay, with one engine in it and a bag of sand balancing it up (and obviously a hole in it somewhere) very sad. Survived all those years in Greece, only to sink in Southampton.

Thats the owners, Johnny 'I likes pink' Burden & Mick Ball on the pontoon with it
Yes boat originally was sold to a Greek Shipping magnate as a "toy" in 1987.
I remember it as he invited me down for the hand over a we did 250 miles around the Greek Islands in one week end. We took it back when he replaced it with a XRS37. This is how it looked then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Potiamonos Spetses.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	28676  
Old 14-07-2013, 08:42 AM   #20

Interests: buying silly boats and restoring them
Cruising area: North Walrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hunter View Post
'Shamanic' RIP!

I have an RS28, the last one produced I believe in 1991. Named 'Duck n Dive' when I purchased her 10 years ago (now 'Interceptor'), she was originally rigged with a single Volvo AQ275C (250hp) and a DP290A drive. Flat out with a light load, a little tail wind and stainless props I made 35 knots @ 4100 rpm and economical cruising speed was 23 knots @ 3250rpm. The fuel tank is 50 gallons. This lucky Hunton is currently the subject of a complete major refit involving the replacement of everything electrical and mechanical with plenty additional equipment. I am installing the new Marine Diesel 6.6L VGT-500HP V8 diesel unit which has been mapped back to 350HP form with the torque pulled right back to prevent grenading the Bravo 3. When Marine Diesel Sweden release their new drive leg that has been designed for this engine (and fits the Bravo 6 bolt assembly) we shall plug in the laptop and unleash the full power and torque. I have yet to see another RS28 afloat (Im Solent based) so apart from Interceptor and Shamanic I would be interested to know where the other 45 are.

I have just purchased one of them, after sending pictures to Jeff, he thinks it is a 28 called Potiamonos, sold to a lady in Greece, .....................

Hi Dave

I think I have managed to trace your boat, it was originally owned by a Greek customer, supplied in 1986. He kept it until 2002 when he replaced it with an Thoroughbred 36 The 28 came back to the UK and was sold, but we have no record of who purchased it.

It originally had twin Volvo AQAD 200hp engines, I have traced a picture of it in Greece and attached it.

We fitted these models with twin engines of between 150 hp to 330 hp, and single engines of 200 to 330 hp. Second hand sterndrives are hard to come by. If you are looking for the most economical option a single engine duoprop would be best. You would need to have the transom filled in and new engine beds if you went this route.

If you want to any more info or help when you find a possible engine/s, please let us know.

Kind regards

Jeff Hunton

sanderman is offline   Reply With Quote