Boatmad.com

Old 15-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #21

Interests: Lots of stuff
Boat name: Rough Rider
Boat make: 21ft ring
Engines: Mercury 275hp

Noise is good, I totally agree, I am not sure how the residents will take a v6, but they should greet it with open arms, I would. Cant wait to throw my boat in the water this weekend for the first time, she should make some noise, but not as much as the beast jet boats in America.....I want one

Old 16-05-2006, 09:28 AM   #22

Indeed - that would sound great. I spent many an August weekend at Cowes watching the class 1 and 2 boats leaving the marina then blasting off in the direction of Gurnard and beyond - you could hear them for miles - itīs pretty much the source of my passion for the sport. Face it - the start of any race is exciting and noisy, but the start of any of the old big races from years past with class 1 and 2 boats with open exhausts opening up - itīs enough to bring tears to your eyes!!!!!!!!! I defy anyone to go to a class 1 race in Europe or the states and NOT be impressed by the spectacle.

littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #23

Boat name: Wildfire IV
Boat make: Sleekcraft 21 exec jr.
Engines: Chevy 454
Cruising area: Turku Archipelago/ Finnish Gulf

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
I've broken a good few American ski boats running in the sea, as have a few friends, this doesn't mean tho', that British or European boatbuilders don't build some shite also.

TD broke his almost new Scarab 30 Panther with relative ease, and it only had 330s in it.
So the lesson to be learnt here you can break anything when you try hard enough!

Wellcrafts build quality has always been a question for some reason as have Chris Craft Stingers but I have always told people that itīs not the build quality that broke your boat...or lack of it.

Hell thereīs people crossing the Atlantic with surfboards!
MikeyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by littlenige
Indeed - that would sound great. I spent many an August weekend at Cowes watching the class 1 and 2 boats leaving the marina then blasting off in the direction of Gurnard and beyond - you could hear them for miles - itīs pretty much the source of my passion for the sport. Face it - the start of any race is exciting and noisy, but the start of any of the old big races from years past with class 1 and 2 boats with open exhausts opening up - itīs enough to bring tears to your eyes!!!!!!!!! I defy anyone to go to a class 1 race in Europe or the states and NOT be impressed by the spectacle.
You certainly got a point there and hit a nerve but as myself have been a racecar mechanic since 1984 starting in the Oval Track in US then evolved to Drag Racing and have been rascing in karting and racecars Iīve certainly had my share of enjoyment of raw engine sounds..so much in fact that I have a serious problem in tinnitus nowadays and do use regularily noiseprotection as much as I can.
I have also found out that wearing them you hear engines internal noises better plus people speakin to you while noise is around.
And Iīm not even 40!
But yes Iīll be attending them races you call out for nonetheless.

You have just to remeber that not everyone are impressed positively by the noise...
Old 16-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #25

understandable that the noise to some is bad. But who cannot like to the idle groan of a v8, just sitting off waiting to have the throttle applied to it. I am such a v8 fan, my car even is a v8. I stuck with a v6 outboard as I thought a v8 model would cost waaaaaaaaayyy too much on fuel, especially two stroke.
Old 16-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally posted by divertom
understandable that the noise to some is bad. But who cannot like to the idle groan of a v8, just sitting off waiting to have the throttle applied to it. I am such a v8 fan, my car even is a v8. I stuck with a v6 outboard as I thought a v8 model would cost waaaaaaaaayyy too much on fuel, especially two stroke.
Well I have had to take a view from the opposite side as Iīve witnessed and fought against closing of two racetracks that I have been VIGOURUSLY fought for since I was a kid as Iīve spent many hours in them, the Other has been the home for all our Finnish F1 drivers.

Just Yesterday I witnessed to the sweet sound a 66 Nova SS makes with Fenderwell headers and a close to 600hp SB on pump gas ( had to as Iīve built the engine and had to adjust thew fuel levels on the carb)-today we broke the rear axle of it playing around with it on the street and the thing has a 12 Bolt Chevy rear with a Diff for chrissakes!
Back to square one but itīs a definite 11 sec 1/4 mile machine in streettrim I can assure you.

FYI I own 2 BigBlock Muscle cars ( a 70 SS 396 El Camino and a 65 GS Buick convert), 2 Corvettes, one Trans Am GTA and 3 racecars with one being a Z/28 Camaro at 670hp and an Aluminum Donovan engine..them other two are only Alfa Romeos one being a Bertone GTV raced by a former F1 and Gulf Porsche 917 driver among others so I certainly do adore the sound of a stout engine at idle or full battlecry, question is does my family members then?
And I forgot to mention about the 65 Nova Funny car project we have together with the SS Nova Guy...

I must just say to you that you havenīt listened enough of engines to get "enough of the noise".
I have or my ears have so I enjoy the quietness too, but the quietness doesnīt happen in a sailboat either not at least when competing believe me!
I havenīt for example found a sailboat in rough weather to be any quieter to the passengers than a motorboat no matter what type of exhaust or speed ( the spectators are another thing)!
Sometimes the wind and all add up to even more noise and youīd wish youd be in a powerboat instead !

PS.Just a few hours ago Iīve located 3 Johnson GT300 engines that I figure out to put into something nice like an Argo 21 Cat for example (only one at a time thou...)... :-)
Old 17-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #27

Flippin eck, your certainly a petrol head. I bet to run all that costs you a hell of alot Well I will say that you for sure have heard your fair share of V8's. I just cant get enough either and admitedly I have just started off with my car. I would like to complete the collection with a V8 Drag boat, the one in the link at the start of this thread. Well we all have dreams and if we stick to them then they come true, and this forum for certain is full of dreams that have come true.

Heres to V8 and big blocks
Old 17-05-2006, 12:46 PM   #28

It costs me arm and leg..and me wallet...
Thats why Iīm into taking down the number of cars and put that money in a big oldschool 38 up offshore boat (or two plus a small cat or something petite) preferrably one with missing engines as I want to try out 6.6 Duramaxes in a boat and make them quiet while running as hard as any gas engine.
They as we speak have as stock 370hp at the crank and 540ftlbs of torque and upping the ante isnīt a problem with commonrail injection!
Itīs also a family thing as thisway my whole family and firends can enjoy with me. With cars/bikes itīs just a selfish thing IMO.

I did forgot to mention that I alkso have a rolling road dyno and Iīm in the process of building a engine dyno that can handle engines up to 2700lbs.ft....(read big rig diesels or really stout V8īs..)

You should look into www.blocket.se there is as we speak two skiboats for sale at 7500-12500 euros.
The cheaper one is a Jet the other on a V-drive drag boat.
On Norwegian sites there also one for sale couldnīt just find it as we speak.

http://www.blocket.se/li?q=skiboat&c...18&w=3&ps=&pe=

I think as Sweden is IN EU its a better choice to look there.
Old 18-05-2006, 07:51 AM   #29

The norwegian skiboat for sale.

http://finn.no/finn/viewimage?finnko...b022594&pos=15
Old 18-05-2006, 09:18 AM   #30

so they can be bought within the EU, wahooo. This is good, there may be even an extreme road trip involved in picking up the boat too to save money, cool. Well cheers for showing me those, I will keep an eye on this site towards the end of the year when money is a little more common within my pocket.
Old 19-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #31

Oh by the enfd of the year my sleeckcraft will be for sale too....
But hopefully with a Smallblock featuring twin turbos and EFi under a closed bonnet...itīs a daycruiser Skiboat ( a tad bigger than those I showed).

Yes here In Finland I know also a lead on two more just in case...
One is a V-drive.
Keep me informed And Iīll head for something bigger plus an Argo!
Old 19-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #32

I will let you know when I got some bucks to spend