Boatmad.com

Old 24-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #1

Interesting Cowes Report

http://thecollectivereview.com/jane-...boat-race.html

littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #2

There`s something odd with that Nige.Iv`e seen it referenced on several websites and every time it can`t be printed and locks up the computer just for good measure.
I see madam references her father doing 100mph in the Gas Turbine `Passing Cloud`.If it had, it would have been mentioned in dispatches,and when you consider Toleman and Cassir struggled to reach it long after the `Passing Cloud` era of 1973/74,it seems a bit of a tall story.
I think this story could be added to the other Gas Turbine wonder boat `Pacemaker`for boats that were too good to be true.Strange they were relegated to the powerboat graveyard with all that potential,or maybe not so strange.

FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #3

Mmmm, I thought that statement about 100mph would get the opinions flying! Would be interesting to know if it's true.
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #4

Interests: Computing, caravanning
Boat name: In-my-dreams
Cruising area: I wish

Somehow doboubt Passing Cloud got near the 90 or even 80, let alone the 100 mark. Would have had to have been the Cat era before those speeds were achieved surely.

Also noted that she said that ""Uno Embassy the gas turbine powered boat piloted by Harry Hyams and Ronnie Hoare in the seventies", err for the daughter of the Passing Cloud racer she should have known it was Miss Embassy (400) crewed by Tommy Sopwith and Charles de Selincourt. (Sad I can remember that off the top off my head nearly 40 years later), also sad is that Miss Embassy is not racing again yet. Maybe she will again given time and money. Put in a used engine or two from Miss Geico or similar
surfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

Cruising area: southwest

I also doubt the triple digits; even if true it ai'nt 'cos Segrave was the first.
Although involved with another boat (Sandy Bay Girl) I had a short run on Passing Cloud at Windermere Record Week, in 1975.
PC made an interesting noise but 'Sandy Bay Girl' was more successful with a couple of Derv Perkins 354's.
On the last afternoon of 1975 Power Boat Records Week, as we were rebuilding a Casale V-drive, Passing Cloud was on the Low Wood pontoon ready and waiting to run.
Proctor and crew were in the caravan, shouting at John Reed, dear powerboat racing manager of the YRA (nothings new under the sun) stating that they only had 14 minutes of lube remaining and pleading to let them through the traps.
Good old jobsworth Reed declined allowing 3 performance certificate OCR sportsboats to go as they were 'ahead in the queue'. A few minutes later as they and we waited ... bits of sparky metal bits started flying out of the big exhaust pipe. John Reed did'nt seem upset, the OCR boys quite pleased.
What's new pussycat??
southwesthotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #6

Interests: Boats, boats and boats
Boat name: Patriot and Forca
Boat make: Phantom 21. Falcon Bonito 36
Engines: 200hp Mariner. 2 x GM 6.5 Twin Turbo Diesels
Cruising area: The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
There`s something odd with that Nige.Iv`e seen it referenced on several websites and every time it can`t be printed and locks up the computer just for good measure.
I see madam references her father doing 100mph in the Gas Turbine `Passing Cloud`.If it had, it would have been mentioned in dispatches,and when you consider Toleman and Cassir struggled to reach it long after the `Passing Cloud` era of 1973/74,it seems a bit of a tall story.
I think this story could be added to the other Gas Turbine wonder boat `Pacemaker`for boats that were too good to be true.Strange they were relegated to the powerboat graveyard with all that potential,or maybe not so strange.
Souuld be able to print this

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: txt Cowes.txt (6.4 KB, 481 views)

Peterjfinch is offline   Reply With Quote