Boatmad.com

Old 23-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #1

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

interesting Diesel

This if true must surely be the most powerful diesel engine per litre to enter the car market - if some variant of this engine turned up in the boat industry with simular HP ie ... ( around 370hp ) it could really shake up the performance diesel world in marathon racing ...

Details leaked from a dealer conference held in Holland this week suggest BMW’s upcoming 550dX, revealed by Autocar back in early September, will be the first recipient of the German car maker’s new tri-turbo 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder diesel engine.

The new engine, which is also destined for new X5xDrive550d and X6xDrive550d models, is claimed to produce 376bhp and over 516lb ft of torque – some 70bhp and over 74lb ft more than the most powerful version of BMW’s existing twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder diesel engine.

The radical new engine, which is rumoured to use two traditional exhaust blown turbochargers in combination with an electrically driven turbocharger to added low-end response, is planned to be offered exclusively with and eight speed automatic gearbox and four-wheel drive.

The 550dX will slot into the BMW line-up above the 535d. Nothing is official just yet, but Munich insiders hint at 0-62mph acceleration in around 5.0sec and a top speed limited to 155mph. This, with combined cycle fuel consumption that is said to come close to matching the 535d’s 46mpg and 165g/km average CO2 emission rating.

Along with the standard version of the 550dX, BMW is also planning a performance-oriented M550dX. While not an official M model, it will receive various chassis and styling tweaks, according to highly placed BMW sources.

Original plans for a full blown M5 diesel were ditched on grounds that the 550dX’s four-wheel drive system would have dictated the ride height. “There are specific reasons why we didn’t go with four-wheel drive, one of them being the four-wheel drive system that requires the car to ride higher than existing M models,” said an insider.

Greg Kable Autocar

Old 23-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #2

Interests: Fast boats
Boat name: Xtreme
Boat make: Bernico 21
Engines: Mercury F1, 300 Drag, XR2 "Fingerported"
Cruising area: South West

Bmw 335d

I have been looking at the 335 and the 535D car recently.
The existing 3.0 ltr twin turbo can push out 345bhp and 511ftllbs with a simple remap:

http://www.celtictuning.co.uk/testimonial-bmw

Cyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
The Doc

i think they become a bit smokey though, eh cookee
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
i think they become a bit smokey though, eh cookee
Pray-tell ... has the Cookee mobile been down the gym pumping iron and come up with more puff ... as I thought it was well documented on here the Shark ran 260hp per side
Old 23-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
The Doc

I actually dont know, I was only fkin' around. I assumed though that as ecu remapping is allowed in marathon, The Bananarama would automatically have gone for some upgrades prior to racing.
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
This if true must surely be the most powerful diesel engine per litre to enter the car market - if some variant of this engine turned up in the boat industry with simular HP ie ... ( around 370hp ) it could really shake up the performance diesel world in marathon racing ...

Details leaked from a dealer conference held in Holland this week suggest BMW’s upcoming 550dX, revealed by Autocar back in early September, will be the first recipient of the German car maker’s new tri-turbo 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder diesel engine.

The new engine, which is also destined for new X5xDrive550d and X6xDrive550d models, is claimed to produce 376bhp and over 516lb ft of torque – some 70bhp and over 74lb ft more than the most powerful version of BMW’s existing twin-turbocharged 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder diesel engine.

The radical new engine, which is rumoured to use two traditional exhaust blown turbochargers in combination with an electrically driven turbocharger to added low-end response, is planned to be offered exclusively with and eight speed automatic gearbox and four-wheel drive.

The 550dX will slot into the BMW line-up above the 535d. Nothing is official just yet, but Munich insiders hint at 0-62mph acceleration in around 5.0sec and a top speed limited to 155mph. This, with combined cycle fuel consumption that is said to come close to matching the 535d’s 46mpg and 165g/km average CO2 emission rating.

Along with the standard version of the 550dX, BMW is also planning a performance-oriented M550dX. While not an official M model, it will receive various chassis and styling tweaks, according to highly placed BMW sources.

Original plans for a full blown M5 diesel were ditched on grounds that the 550dX’s four-wheel drive system would have dictated the ride height. “There are specific reasons why we didn’t go with four-wheel drive, one of them being the four-wheel drive system that requires the car to ride higher than existing M models,” said an insider.

Greg Kable Autocar
Diesel technology is coming on in leaps and bound, the only problem with all these automotive diesel engines is that they will never run with there original ECU’s out of the vehicle they come from. This is because and as in my case with the Mercedes the engine ECU relies on 32 other ECU’s and sensors, such as gearbox ECU, drive authority ECU, ABS ECU, Traction control and stability control ECU, etc. If the engine ECU which runs on a CAN bus system cant find one of its ECU’s or sensors it goes into limp mode. I had many ECU tuners before I started my project say that yes we can reprogram the original ECU but when it came down to and what guarantee are you going to give me that it will run properly before I part with some money they all went silent. The fact is that the software is so deeply imbedded and hard wired into the original engine ECU that after a two hour conversation with a technical guy from Bosch that had input in ECU development I came to the conclusion that reprogramming the original ECU would never be any more than a hash and a bodge.

The up side is there are after market ECU’s available but for Diesels but they are only a few companies because the latest engine use Piezo injectors instead of solenoid which are harder to control. The cost of these units is £3000 and if your engine has not been used before you are looking at another £3000 for development and dyno testing.

If you want to race and are not limited to production boat engines by race class, then some of the new automotive diesel engine have excellent power to weight ratio and economy.
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

EIGHT SPEED GEARBOX???!!! Does it ever stop changing gear?! Any more and it's virtually be a CVT!!

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #8

Boat name: Grip-O.co.uk
Engines: Steyr-Motors

A car engine is only on WOT for a short time and when the revs are high you change gear, if you had it on WOT for say 3.5 hours and smashing it around and jabbing your foot on the clutch while still at WOT, they might not be quite as good as you think, or as economical.
2-XS-IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
EIGHT SPEED GEARBOX???!!! Does it ever stop changing gear?! Any more and it's virtually be a CVT!!
Larby there are 9 speed autos being tested out there as we speak! Auto gear boxes are my living & these 6/7/8 speed units are a nightmare at times. The ECU (which is normally inside the transmission nowadays) has 'skip gear' strategy built into it's mapping, it may only used 2/3rds of the ratio's available in it. So if it skips a gear on road test we sometimes don't have a clue if it is a fault in the trans or not. Scanners often respond to slowly to be able to monitor gears commanded so it is difficult believe me.
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-XS-IF View Post
A car engine is only on WOT for a short time and when the revs are high you change gear, if you had it on WOT for say 3.5 hours and smashing it around and jabbing your foot on the clutch while still at WOT, they might not be quite as good as you think, or as economical.
Well, I should just find the answer to that one next year hopefully or at least with the Mercedes diesel engine. The engine I am using is fitted to the largest sprinter van so would have thought that it would cope with quite high loading with weight and wind drag as opposed to and engine that is just used in a light weight low drag car
PerformanceDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

We use the existing 3 litre BMW engine badged as the Yanmar BY260 in the race boat, it's still at 260hp for reliability and fuel economy although we did consider updating it for Coniston it remained standard!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #12

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

I know engines for the marine market used to be down rated as the usage is so different. You won't run an engine at maximum rpm for more than a few minutes at a time (if that) in a road vehicle, in a boat it can be at max rpm for a long time on a flat sea. I don't know about now but the diesels I worked with when I was in the trade had a 'continuous' rating & an 'intermittent' rating that was at a higher rpm.
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #13

thought this was interesting to, especially if you combined this Gdiesel with the new 5 series, even more of a bonus to a marine diesel that would benefit from the articles 20% fuel savings and clean burn in the marina, no mention though of better performance on this Gdiesel ... my only question would be (not knowing much about the chemical make up of diesel and how it burns ) removing anything may cause higher wear in a high performance modern diesel engine ... yes/no although I'm sure they have researched this

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...h_diesel_fuel/[IMG]

Old 29-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #14

Steyr SE Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
We use the existing 3 litre BMW engine badged as the Yanmar BY260 in the race boat, it's still at 260hp for reliability and fuel economy although we did consider updating it for Coniston it remained standard!
You should get the Yanmars out and get 2 of these before I do! 325hp standard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SE engine.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	32627   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCI Turbo.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	32628  
Old 30-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #15
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
But they would be faster in one of these!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #16

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Quote:
still 3.2 l?
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #17

Boat name: The Mutz Nuts/Beyond Obsession/HoneyRider
Boat make: Phantom 20, Phantom 25, Cigarette 39 TopGun Unlimited
Engines: Mercury Promax 300 Madefi, Twin Mercury 200XS, Twin Merc Racing 525 EFI's
Cruising area: Eastney/Portsmouth

Hmmmm

Quote:
Interesting!!

How much are they then Nick?
Old 30-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scand View Post
still 3.2 l?
Yes, same block.
Old 30-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMutzNuts View Post
Interesting!!

How much are they then Nick?
I don't know yet, prices out January from factory, I guess more than we think or would like.
Old 30-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
Larby there are 9 speed autos being tested out there as we speak! Auto gear boxes are my living & these 6/7/8 speed units are a nightmare at times. The ECU (which is normally inside the transmission nowadays) has 'skip gear' strategy built into it's mapping, it may only used 2/3rds of the ratio's available in it. So if it skips a gear on road test we sometimes don't have a clue if it is a fault in the trans or not. Scanners often respond to slowly to be able to monitor gears commanded so it is difficult believe me.
Nicks old Sunseeker XS had gears, so is it impracticable on space and weight to have multi speed boxes for diesel boats just like the cars have, or is the disadvantage more money outlay and something else to go wrong