Boatmad.com

Old 16-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #1

Interests: Lots of things
Cruising area: Basingstoke ring road.

Is Limit up 77 still alive

Hi Guys

I am Steve! i live in the UK and a keen follower of Powerboats!
the cigarette is my favourite!

At the age of 5,6,7 onwards I used to go out with my dad that owned a classic racer called boffins coffin number 12 a glaston 171 that raced here in the 60s We followed many Cowes to torquay races, always viewing from boat at the start finish line to here thunder of class 1s going by!

My favourites was Dry martini and most of all the 77 Limit Up cigarette boat!

Two weeks ago i went aboad the 78 winning Dry Martini cigarette thats been restored and currently for sale in hampshire england, While on board it, it brought many fine memories that cannot be replaced seeing 30 to 40 boats like racing to torquay and Limit up 77 was one of them! i live near farnborough Hampshire UK where the two boats were housed, 78 was a bigger boat and then the owners bought a cat! these too i believe were then peter stuyvesant boats and then number 78 was made into a pleasure boat! filled with comfort; bedding, tv and a cooker etc! Boring life for it!

So can anyone tell me if the 77 limit up hull is still going! and does anyone have old pictures of her!

cheers

Steve.

Shelbysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
OOD

Interests: Racing
Cruising area: South Coast

Steve
If you go on to Classicoffshore.com you will find lots of old boats

Old 16-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #3

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Boffins Coffin !!!!!!!!! are you Grant Mortens son?? Are you in the same line of work??
If you at=re he built a great boat !!
re Limit-Up suggest you contact Tim Powell or try John Walker.what John dosen;t know isn't worth knowing............
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD View Post
Steve
If you go on to Classicoffshore.com you will find lots of old boats
Cheers! Ill take a look!
Old 16-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Boffins Coffin !!!!!!!!! are you Grant Mortens son?? Are you in the same line of work??
If you at=re he built a great boat !!
re Limit-Up suggest you contact Tim Powell or try John Walker.what John dosen;t know isn't worth knowing............

No not grants son! my father purchased Boffins Coffin when it retired, it had a hole in the hull it was strapped on to the trailer and came off coming back from a race! i was told that at the age of 6,7 from my Dad! he repaired the boat and used it for many years untill 89 90 and he stupidly sold her! I can even remember it as a race boat with coffin handles and being black or very dark blue with a number 12 at the front! I can say the boat was amazing in rough weather, my dad used to take it out in force 8/9 waters and it never let us down, just bet the waves back and cut straight into them, i can see why it raced in the london calaisa.

Do you know more about Boffins coffin than i do from its hey-day We only ever had one photo of her and Ive tryed to find more on the net!

Yes ill have to contact Tim.
Old 16-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #6

Grant Moreton was a funeral director and in those days they built the coffin's....hence the name, the boat was built out of left over wood and all fitting were from the busieness, the carpentry was amazing....
Grant built 2 or 3 boats, I know one was damaged coming back from Windermere and another I think at either whitby or Weston..Grant was based in Near Birmingham and although I went there many times can't remember the area now.was over 35 years ago now..
Ron Worbold, if he is still gracing us with his presence is the only person I can think of that might remember more..
Old 16-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #7

Boat make: p 21
Engines: XR2

Hi Tim

My old man ran two of grants boats one barracuda in the nationals (se class)
and one grant morten special that they took to rouen 1979 ran in front
of r molinari till mid morning then the damage got too much!!!. I remember
picking up the barracuda from grants workshop boat in one room coffin's in the other it was just of the M6 under spagetti juntion.

Rob.
Rob21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 08:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Grant Moreton was a funeral director and in those days they built the coffin's....hence the name, the boat was built out of left over wood and all fitting were from the busieness, the carpentry was amazing....
Grant built 2 or 3 boats, I know one was damaged coming back from Windermere and another I think at either whitby or Weston..Grant was based in Near Birmingham and although I went there many times can't remember the area now.was over 35 years ago now..
Ron Worbold, if he is still gracing us with his presence is the only person I can think of that might remember more..

i never knew that, even more of a silly thing to of sold it then with that kind of workmanship used on her! I can recall the cock pit was at the rear and as you say some craftsman made a top deck and when removed the front driving position was found and then my dad remade the deck to accomadate it as a 7 seater! and the motor was a chrysler 120 6 pot! but i believe it had 2 or 3 powerful outboards while at race spec!
Old 16-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #9

I think twin 135 BP's mercs..........
Old 16-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
OOD

Interests: Racing
Cruising area: South Coast

Shelbysteve

If you go on the History Pages on Classicoffshore.com you will find a photo of Limit Up 77
and if you want a copy let me know

tony
Old 16-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #11

Quote:

i never knew that, even more of a silly thing to of sold it then with that kind of workmanship used on her! I can recall the cock pit was at the rear and as you say some craftsman made a top deck and when removed the front driving position was found and then my dad remade the deck to accomadate it as a 7 seater! and the motor was a chrysler 120 6 pot! but i believe it had 2 or 3 powerful outboards while at race spec!
Old 16-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOD View Post
Shelbysteve

If you go on the History Pages on Classicoffshore.com you will find a photo of Limit Up 77
and if you want a copy let me know

tony
Yes Please Tony! a copy would be fantastic! great site!

I had a look! Wow that was a great looking boat!

I made a project in my junior school with the two Limit ups , i draw a 3d profile of radio rentals center page, miss embassy! inwhich i have a corgi toy of her! Yellowdrama 11 cat, dry martini, betty cooks boat!

and i got a kiss from lady arron when small too! then in 96 97 resaw her doing the cowes classic in a rib! i have picture of her whisky bottle in the rib!

Has she passed on now or still with us!
Old 16-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #13
Super Star

Interests: Anything with a motor.
Cruising area: Manhasset Bay, LI Sound, NJ area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbysteve View Post
Hi Guys

I am Steve! i live in the UK and a keen follower of Powerboats!
the cigarette is my favourite!

At the age of 5,6,7 onwards I used to go out with my dad that owned a classic racer called boffins coffin number 12 a glaston 171 that raced here in the 60s We followed many Cowes to torquay races, always viewing from boat at the start finish line to here thunder of class 1s going by!

My favourites was Dry martini and most of all the 77 Limit Up cigarette boat!

Two weeks ago i went aboad the 78 winning Dry Martini cigarette thats been restored and currently for sale in hampshire england, While on board it, it brought many fine memories that cannot be replaced seeing 30 to 40 boats like racing to torquay and Limit up 77 was one of them! i live near farnborough Hampshire UK where the two boats were housed, 78 was a bigger boat and then the owners bought a cat! these too i believe were then peter stuyvesant boats and then number 78 was made into a pleasure boat! filled with comfort; bedding, tv and a cooker etc! Boring life for it!

So can anyone tell me if the 77 limit up hull is still going! and does anyone have old pictures of her!

cheers

Steve.
So you like Cigarette. I LOVE it to. I own a Cigarette 38' Top Gun and I can also tell you that the Dry Martini powerboat took place in the 2006 New York City poker run. I know alot about Cigarette and would be glad to help you. PM me if you have any questions.
Regards,
Team Cigarette II
Team Cigarette II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #14
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Quote:
Sadly Ron is no longer with us, Covered a bit on Ron on the forum previously. Think it was Grant in that most amazing flip pic at records week with Cat Baloo in the mist a gloom. I did have a copy but long lost now. Ron had so many stories and tales the quick 1 hour visit turned into a whole day. Quite right all based around B'ham, last workshop that Ron used was over at Halesowen
For those that havent worked it out "Blu-Fin" was Ron's mark. The logo is on the fore deck of all Marina Boats
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 09:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Cigarette II View Post
So you like Cigarette. I LOVE it to. I own a Cigarette 38' Top Gun and I can also tell you that the Dry Martini powerboat took place in the 2006 New York City poker run. I know alot about Cigarette and would be glad to help you. PM me if you have any questions.
Regards,
Team Cigarette II
Cool you could be my new best friend! i'd love to have a ride in one, one day!

The dry martini here was a 73 74 cigarette without the seam running down the middle!
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/g...1973_.jpg.html
Old 16-05-2007, 10:12 PM   #16

That is very sad news, bit surprised Jim Peverelle or John Hanson didn't tell me...
Ron only built one bad boat and that was Derek Morris's 666 run nose heavy, I tried to persuade Derek to move the engines aft to where the cockpit was and run them thru Vee drives but he had lost heart, and ordered a new ali boat which never got built in time for the London/Monte Carlo "Ford Cammenga" Derek ended up going with Pascoe and Timo in Ford Persauder......
Ron also did some repairs to my Seebold and a cougar I had.. do you remember the ta he used to make on that old boiler........worse than the glue he used!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #17
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

You see what it did to the skin on his fingers !!!!!!!!! or was that the Cascamite

EDIT: Found this old link Which I understand was his last project.
Rons Last Project
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #18

Boat make: p 21
Engines: XR2

HiTim

I see you had a sebold did you race (on class).

Rob
Rob21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #19

mainly OI with a Cougar, which loved to barrel roll and a peverille (which I still regret selling) and a Burgess and Seebold in ON.. Burgess had a curved tunnel and made me sick as a dog the seebold was awsome, lost in the test at Pavia!!
Old 17-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #20

oh and I used to race a Bristol cat at Oulton Broad called Soggy Moggy !!!!!!!!!!!!