Boatmad.com

Old 15-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Interests: Classic Powerboats, Music and Fashion
Boat name: Deja Vu
Boat make: Classic: 1976 Seacraft 23 foot
Engines: Yamaha 240HP
Cruising area: Salcombe & South Hams

Levi Corsair - Any History

Does anybody have any understanding of the history of this Levi Corsair 27 that was named "Levitation" that I viewed yesterday. The hull is in an amazing sound condition as it has been correctly stored but it would be a very expensive & demanding project - maybe somebody is brave enough to take her on? I have some more photos. My email is chris.grayer@btinternet.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013213.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	41241   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1013203.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	41242  

chris grayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #2

Interests: Fast cars, bikes,quads, boats, going fast...etc
Boat name: Cheetah
Boat make: Hunton XRS37
Engines: Volvo D6 with DPR drives
Cruising area: So'hampton

Hi Chris,
My late father and i owned the boat from the early 80's until 2004 when i gave it away to a guy down the road probably where you visited on Friday.
We purchased it from a dealer in Cowes after it had supposedly had a full restoration, sadly not quite the case… The boat was fitted with 140 mercruisers We kept the boat in Cobbs Quay Marina in Poole for a season and had nothing but issues every time we went out!! so decided to take it back to the midlands to do the work properly. We built a shed specially to accommodate her and a hydraulic powered rotating jig which could be stopped in any position so you were always working down hand. The hull was in unbelievably bad condition with very severe osmosis everywhere even the deck, the quality of lamination was appalling!! more like an aero bar than a boat….., but by the time we had really got into it we had already part exchanged the 140 merc's for a pair of lancing surface drives and gearboxes from Mike Bellamy, we had also built a very nice pair of 5.7 litre chevy small blocks. The motors had steel cranks and rods with forged pistons all top quality stuff and would have made well over 400hp each. At about this time our business had really started to take of so it got put to one side and forgotten about for a number of years. Sold the engines for kit cars actually made money on those, surface drives and gearboxes went to a guy in Germany last year. I still have a few odds and sods from the project kicking around the stores. It needs a very brave person indeed to take her on……

All The Best
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	41252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4562.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	41253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4563.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	41254  

peterunwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #3

Interests: Classic Powerboats, Music and Fashion
Boat name: Deja Vu
Boat make: Classic: 1976 Seacraft 23 foot
Engines: Yamaha 240HP
Cruising area: Salcombe & South Hams

Levi Corsair -Levitation

Hi Peter

Fascinating & thanks so much for this detailed response.
Just goes to show as to how you must get an expert to check over a hulk such as this to check moisture content of the GRP - with all the dirt and detritus on Levitation and a gathering gloom this is virtually impossible to detect. I certainly will not be venturing near this as a project, a money pit & divorce would be the foreseeable outcome!

This sure is a shame, the Corsair lines are ones of beauty and so classic, at least now the Levi design heritage is now being continued so well in Venice with the limited production of the modern Levi Boats. I certainly haven't got the 280k to afford a new one! Maybe out there is a Corsair that needs a new home & some affordable TLC to bring back to life - I certainly will keep on looking.
Best
Chris
chris grayer is offline   Reply With Quote