Boatmad.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered User
 
NorwegianBoater's Avatar
 
Country: Norway
Location: Oslo, Aberdeen
Occupation: Time
Interests: a lot...
Boat make: Gilbert 22 Offshore Edition
Engines: Merc
Cruising area: Oslofjord-Sweden-Denmark

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oslo, Aberdeen
Posts: 232
Question Loookin for new power!

Started lookin for new power for my Gilbert 22, and came over a Merc 200xs. I really like this engine so was wondering if anyone on here with firsthand experience could tell me their experience with it! Reliable engine? Much maintenance needed? Etc..

Cheers
__________________

__________________
If anybody knows how to get in touch with Powertran pls pm me
NorwegianBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
BananaShark Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Occupation: Racer and builder
Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Posts: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianBoater View Post
Started lookin for new power for my Gilbert 22, and came over a Merc 200xs. I really like this engine so was wondering if anyone on here with firsthand experience could tell me their experience with it! Reliable engine? Much maintenance needed? Etc..

Cheers
Make sure the compressor mounting is tight on a regular basis! Otherwise good motors - if you're going to race it you can bypass the oil level sensor on the oil tank in the cowling to stop it going into guardian mode when the oil froths up from getting shaken about.

A pretty genuine 200hp or a little more as well - if you're not racing it leave it as standard and enjoy!
__________________

__________________
Cookee



British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Registered User
 
NorwegianBoater's Avatar
 
Country: Norway
Location: Oslo, Aberdeen
Occupation: Time
Interests: a lot...
Boat make: Gilbert 22 Offshore Edition
Engines: Merc
Cruising area: Oslofjord-Sweden-Denmark

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oslo, Aberdeen
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Make sure the compressor mounting is tight on a regular basis! Otherwise good motors - if you're going to race it you can bypass the oil level sensor on the oil tank in the cowling to stop it going into guardian mode when the oil froths up from getting shaken about.

A pretty genuine 200hp or a little more as well - if you're not racing it leave it as standard and enjoy!
Cheers Cookee Could you explain compressor mounting for me as I my mechanical vocabulary is rather limited in English
__________________
If anybody knows how to get in touch with Powertran pls pm me
NorwegianBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
BananaShark Member
 
Cookee's Avatar
 
Country: UK
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Occupation: Racer and builder
Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Salcombe South Devon
Posts: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianBoater View Post
Cheers Cookee Could you explain compressor mounting for me as I my mechanical vocabulary is rather limited in English
They are the bolts that hold the air compressor on that is driven by the belt - is that clear?
__________________
Cookee



British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Registered User
 
NorwegianBoater's Avatar
 
Country: Norway
Location: Oslo, Aberdeen
Occupation: Time
Interests: a lot...
Boat make: Gilbert 22 Offshore Edition
Engines: Merc
Cruising area: Oslofjord-Sweden-Denmark

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oslo, Aberdeen
Posts: 232
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
They are the bolts that hold the air compressor on that is driven by the belt - is that clear?
Yes, cheers
__________________
If anybody knows how to get in touch with Powertran pls pm me
NorwegianBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×