Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #21
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Jon I except and know what you mean, BUT surely our lobying the RYA, not puddle, can only be good for the sport be it racing and as I understand it many racer go poker anyway..
I don't want to fight with TD, he is a man I admire and respect even if he can be a little blinkered sometimes.....
I just want justice!!!
PLEASE JF help us ...... your the "bloody" genius on comps put something to-gether and e-mail to ALL boatmad members so we can flood the RYA.. Make them sit up and take note of the guys who pay their fecking wages and freebies!!!!
Soap box now put away.
Please...........................
Firstly, I'm no computer genius, far from it! The genius stuff is left to Matt, JK etc.

I'm happy to send a group email to all members of Boatmad, explaining the issue, and asking that they vote, maybe by posting here, but I suspect that actualy, you'd be surprised (and upset) how few people understand, or are interested enough to make the effort.

And, there's nothing stopping any member here from starting a campaign to loby the RYA. Tell me what you want the group email to say, and I'll send it out inviting all to view your thread/campaign, and it can go from there.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #22

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

Before we all join the revolution, let’s not forget that the nominations for the vacant UIM Presidents post must be with the UIM 60 days before the start of the General Assembly. This takes place in Turkey in November, so we have until mid September to put forward a candidate. Why the RYA decided to back Chiulli so soon and not keep their powder dry has me some what mystified, perhaps they only meet up twice a year!!

Yes, you can go and Goggle Lord Beaverbrook, Raffaele Chiulli, Urg Issik and anyone else that wants the most unpopular job in powerboat racing and you can uncover all sorts of skeletons in various cupboards about their past lives. What I am more concerned with and perhaps our own National Authority and all the UIM’s National Authorities should take note, is what are their plans for the future of our sport, where is their manifesto?

Ok, Lord Beaverbrook how are you going to handle the dispute between the UIM and the WPPA? Ok, Mr Chiulli what advise are you going to give Powerboat P1 about their speed limit, time keeping problem? Ok, Mr Issik what are your thoughts on the crashbox situation that is happening right now in Formula One circuit racing?

Did the French elect their President recently without seeing what Mr. Sarkozy had planned for their future? I doubt it. How are you going to choose between Brown and Cameron at the next General Election if you can’t see their manifesto?

Let’s start making this sport more transparent and let’s start that from the top job.

Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #23
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
Let’s start making this sport more transparent
This is a subject that's been talked about a fair bit here over the last few months!

It'd be a good start.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #24

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wildey View Post
Not that I'm too fussed either way but would it be appropriate for a person who was made bankrupt with £5m debts, in 1992, to run an organisation, plus the little matter of being stripped of his seat in the House of Lords?

As for the more well known Lord B. he had a very well known friendship with a certain german man from the 1930's but managed to change direction quickly to become a war cabinet minister.

Not that I know the other people up for the post but he may be the best person for the job.

Cheers

Mark

A little unfair there Mark. I know many many good businessmen who have run into financial trouble at one time or another. It doesn't make them any less fit to be a figurehead to an organisation like the UIM and to give it the benefit of their/his experience both in and out of the sport. Also, digging up a history from over 70 years ago is a bit of a cheap shot.

This is all maybe a little premature however, I have just heard that the RYA have invited Maxwell to a meeting. I hope that is true.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #25

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

[QUOTE=TimB-C;110664] he can be a little blinkered sometimes.....

QUOTE]

Only during my waking hours.

[QUOTE=TimB-C;110664] I just want justice!!!
QUOTE]

Then you've probably chosen the wrong sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
On your first point Tony, I am interested in your view that the sport is f**ked, care to expand on that a little and to how it should be un-f**ked?
ML.
I stopped racing in 97, for numerous reasons, although a complete lack of support from the RYA and especially ORDA for a grievance that I had with a certain officials decision that cost me the National Championship that year probably didn't help matters. In the end I decided that for me, the sport was f**ked. Far too political, too much arse licking and old boys networking for my liking so I spend my boating pounds elsewhere!

Haven't a clue how to unf**k it, although dropping the RYA for starters, making the venues more accessible for spectators, and employing Shelley Jorey as press officer wouldn't be a bad start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post

On your second point, well, for one he is English, Two, he..........................................
He sounds like a top bloke, and other than the fact that I'm told he put himself forward for the job, would make him perfect.

But it does make me wonder why he would want, to quote Chris D, " the most unpopular job in powerboat racing."

Is it a good earner?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #26

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Yes, you can go and Goggle
I didn't google, i used "dogpile" which I thought was more appropriate for this topic!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #27
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

I would have thought the RYA should send a note, short letter to the license HOLDERS only, and only license holders, old cronies like me don’t count for jack.
Naming each candidate, policies they stand for, issues that are important, small resume on each in fact. Then mark your box and return it to them. It is what would be the norm in most logical situations. Two words stick out from this statement, norm & logical.

Im sure there is no such thing as a Masonic Controlling inner circle but if there was such a thing

membership is by invitation only.

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #28
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
Im sure there is no such thing as a Masonic Controlling inner circle but if there was such a thing

membership is by invitation only.

I reckon you're closer there than you know!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #29

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

Hi guys

I’ve been following this post with interest.

I would like to point out a few facts.

Firstly, 10 people sit on the Powerboat Racing Committee (PBRC). Reading what has been posted so far, it makes it sound that there is Richard Solomon, myself and “the Jet Sport guy”. This is not true. The PBRC covers the whole of the sport of powerboat racing in the UK. Not just offshore. It has representatives from Circuit, Jet Sport, Hydroplane, Records, Offshore and the RYA. The input into this Committee comes from ALL disciplines.

Secondly, everyone keeps referring to me, as though I have all the power – very flattering – but not true. I have only been the ORC Chairman for 20 days – not even a month yet – and the amount of inherited crap is unbelievable. The impossible I’ll try to achieve but miracles may take a little longer. For miracles to happen this Sport needs to start working together in a positive and productive manner.

In the last 20 days my learning curve on politics has been vertical. I am appalled that politics seems to be more important than the Sport. I am not a politician, I never claimed to be a politician and I never will be a politician. It is politics that will kill this Sport stone dead.

In my view anybody is entitled to stand for a position and win or lose, on their own merits. Anyone who does stand, should be highly commended and supported to the full. For an informed and transparent decision to be made, all candidates should provide a manifesto.

Come on guys, give me a break. I am prepared to work tirelessly for the Sport and you. To get the Sport back to where it needs to be, I need your help and valuable input. If you’ve got something to say, contact me. You can PM or email me and I promise you I will respond.

Regards

Gary Manchester

Chairman

Offshore Racing Committee
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #30
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Let’s start making this sport more transparent and let’s start that from the top job.
What would happen to the smoke and mirrors then?
It is virtually impossible to get a straight answer from anyone about anything. There are loads of rumours about things, yet no one is willing to make a statement of fact. It would not be tolerated in almost any other aspect of life, why do we allow it here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
I just want justice!!!
Then you've probably chosen the wrong sport.

I stopped racing in 97, for numerous reasons, although a complete lack of support from the RYA and especially ORDA for a grievance that I had with a certain officials decision that cost me the National Championship that year probably didn't help matters.
So we DO have something in common

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
Hi guys
Come on guys, give me a break. I am prepared to work tirelessly for the Sport and you. To get the Sport back to where it needs to be, I need your help and valuable input. If you’ve got something to say, contact me. You can PM or email me and I promise you I will respond.
I think Gary should be given a few months to start effecting change. This is the minimum time it could take. If you have not noticed, since he took over the job he has not been posting on boatmad, as he probably can no longer to afford a mud slinging match with those who like to fight. So lets give him the support he needs over the next few months, and if he does not improve things, I will be there, and I'll bring the rope with me. I do think that things will change. A few of the 'good old boys' are on their way out, and that is a good thing for the sport!
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #31

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Hi Gary,
Ok you do deserve a break, so please and I ask this a politely as I can.
1.) Why did YOU vote against Maxwell???
2.) Who else voted against him and why???

Not the best opportunity to show you want to be transparent!!

JF you can be far more diplomatic than me when you want ! How aqbout something simmple along the lines of WE THE UNDERSIGNED WISH IT TO BE KNOWN WE WANT Maxwell the Lord Beaverbrook TO BE THE The RYA NOMINATED PERSON FOR THE VACCANCY OF U.I.M. CHAIRMAN....

Simple realy, perhaps something about not being very patriotic backing and Italian when everyone else wants his Lordship !!
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #32

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

TD Your point about dropping the RYA is a great idea, however there are those who want to race abroad so either another authority or for races such as the 2008 RB and prospective London MC or even C/T/C you just have to change three little letters.............................
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #33

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #34

Lord Beaverbrook declined

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but let's get the FACTS straight.

I should point out that I was not 'stripped' of my seat in the House of Lords.
Yes I had some difficulties back in 1992, these are way way way behind me.
I have and do run organisations, I am the Chairman of a public company, an elected director of the British Racing Drivers Club and Chairman of the Beaverbrook Foundation, a large grant giving charity.

There is a once in a generation opportunity to take a real grip on the future of our sport, and I intend to do that. If America's Cup can suceed, so can we.
M. Beaverbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #35

Interests: Boats n Lambrettas
Boat make: Boatless

mike k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #36
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med