Boatmad.com

Old 04-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #1

Lord Beaverbrook declined

Very few things make me angry these days but I must confess the RYA's decision to support an Italian candidate Raffaele Chiulli for the vacant UIM President post in preference to Lord Beaverbrook, who had put his name forward as a candidate, is to say the least, incredibly unpatriotic. The BPRC Committee who declined Lord Beaverbrook is chaired by Richard Soloman and includes John Reed, Gary Manchester and the UK Jet Ski representitive never even met Beaverbrook. They were given a type written profile of the gentleman by John Puddifoot and although John does not have a vote is allowed to advise the Committee. How much influence Puddifoot has in anyones guess, but surely the courtesey of a face to face meeting between the BPRC and Lord Beaverbrook is the least the RYA could provide considering the importance of the role of UIM President.

Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #2

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Truly fFECKING amazing.what qudos to have his lordship up there, but then nothing amazes me where the RYA or RS is concerned, I bet John Reed didn't vote for the Italian..................

TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 PM   #3

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Unbelievable, I understand the Italians want Maxwell, the Americans want Maxwell, the Germans want Maxwell, virtually everyone wants Maxwell to head up the UIM except the Brits. What on earth is wrong with the RYA? Having Lord Beaverbrook heading up the UIM would be a huge boost for us and he is an ex powerboat racer like his father and mother. Unlike the Italian who I doubt has ever set foot in a powerboat so knows nothing but then again what's new. I fail to see any sense in this decision by our so called ruling body. An explanation should at least be given and soon.
ML.
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #4

Right guys, time for us all to put our money where our mouth is, Jon F says we have all these members on here, so JF can you send everyone an e-mail and ask them to e-mail a protest to the wanker puddleduck and the powers at the RYA demanding they put Maxwell forward and do what the people who pays there wages and freebies and cons want.
Pity ML can't ban puddleduck from entering the RBR
a couple of thousand e-mails might make them sit up and think and someone tell Gary to call an emergency meeting of the ORC and get thing going
Old 04-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #5
wss

Has anyone spoken to the Chairman of PBRC?
wss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #6

Silly Boys, where's your Political brains (uncover the eye) Heavy rumours are JP is angling for the post for 'HIMSELF'. No chance if Maxwell is even 'nominated'. So WHO did they suggest??!!
derekjlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjlloyd View Post
Silly Boys, where's your Political brains (uncover the eye) Heavy rumours are JP is angling for the post for 'HIMSELF'. No chance if Maxwell is even 'nominated'. So WHO did they suggest??!!
Welcome back Derek, it's a wonder they didn't nominate you!!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #8

Angry

Well gentlemen, and I now use the term in it's loosest meaning.......
Yet again you guyz amaze me, none of you are prepared put you head above the parapit and be counted;re the flagrant misuse of power by the RYA and Gary to NOT nominate Lord Beaverbrook for the vacant UIM post.
But to back an Italian for the post DESPITE Italy and USA et all wanting Maxwell.
All it would have taken is for someone on here (possibly JF ) to pur something to-gether for all of us to put our names to and get the "tin pot" committee to retract their support for the Italian.
YOU lot truly are amazing, you all bitch on here about the way our sport is being run but as usual are not prepared to do anything except bitch..
NO wonder the sport is dying..
I only wish I had JF's knowledge of pc's so I could do it...
This is indeed a very sad day for our sport and shows what you lot realy are.................
Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #9

Here is an interesting fact for those of you who are only interested in you........or so far up your own *****
Maxwell the Lord Beaverbrook is the son of the late great Sir Max Aitken DFC and bar who................Brought Powerboat racing to this country in 1961 and was thru his newsgroup Express newspapers founded the Cowes to Torquay race.. So weithout the Beaverbrook family there might never have been any powerbat racing here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe, it would be a realy great idea to support his son...........
Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Make him the WPPA Man come the revolution
All we need to do is storm the Hamble \"Winter Palace\"

Team25Racing.com

At least 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow!
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #11

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Well gentlemen, and I now use the term in it's loosest meaning.......
Yet again you guyz amaze me, none of you are prepared put you head above the parapit and be counted;........
Speaking personally, I should be offended by your remarks, but I can't be arsed, much like I can't be arsed to even drive 15 minutes from my house to watch a local powerboat race. In my humble opinion, the sport is f**ked, and me, as a non licence holding, non rya member, emailing Puddleduck or whoever to voice my complaint really wouldn't make much difference!

Quote:
Here is an interesting fact for those of you who are only interested in you........or so far up your own *****
Maxwell the Lord Beaverbrook is the son of the late great Sir Max Aitken DFC and bar who................Brought Powerboat racing to this country in 1961 and was thru his newsgroup Express newspapers founded the Cowes to Torquay race.. So weithout the Beaverbrook family there might never have been any powerbat racing here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe, it would be a realy great idea to support his son.......
Don't really understand the reasoning behind that... Other than being the great mans son, what qualities does he have that make him anymore suitable for the post than the Italian?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
...did you attend the same Charm School as CB?
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #13

Tony, you are a very inteligent man, what is it about the past UIM/Italians etc that are ruining our sport??
THEY ARE DISHONEST...read into that what you will........
I agree your e-mail to Puddleduck would mean **** all BUT if we ALL e-mailed the RYA then maybe like the poll tax many voices COUNT..........and 1500 or so e-mails realy would put the dishonesty of those running our sport for their own interests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! into the fore front
Old 06-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #14

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Which bit of this makes him so perfect for the job?

Maxwell Aitken, 3rd Baron Beaverbrook

Maxwell William Humphrey Aitken, 3rd Baron Beaverbrook, (born 29 December 1951) is a British peer, baronet and politician.

Aitken is the grandson of the 1st Baron Beaverbrook and the only son of Sir Max Aitken, by his third marriage to Violet de Trafford. He was educated at Charterhouse and Pembroke College, Cambridge.

He married Susan Angela O'Ferrall (19 July 1977). They have four children:
1) The Honourable Maxwell Francis Aitken (born 1977), who is the Heir Apparent.
2) The Honourable Alexander Rory Aitken (born 1978), married Alexandra Meredyth Anne Proby (b.1980, eldest daughter of Sir William Henry Proby, 3rd Bt., and of his wife, née Meredyth Anne Brentnall) on 10 February 2007.
3) The Honourable Charlotte Susanna Aitken (born 1982)
4) The Honourable Sophia Violet Angela Aitken (born 1983)
Lord Beaverbrook was a Lord in Waiting (1986–1988) and the Treasurer of the Conservative Party and the European Democratic Union (1990–1992). He was Chairman of Ventech Healthcare Corporation (1986) and (1988–1992).

In 2003 Lord Beaverbrook claimed that 133 valuable paintings in the Beaverbrook Art Gallery given to the gallery by his grandfather were not donated, but were instead on long term loan. The Family wishes the return of many of the paintings to be sold at action to raise funds for the Beaverbrook UK charitable foundation. The paintings are estimated to be worth approximately $100 million Canadian. On March 26, 2007, the arbiter in the case, retired Supreme Court Justice Peter Cory, ruled that 85 paintings donated to the gallery before opening in the 1950s belong to the gallery, but that 48 paintings transferred after the opening belong the Lord Beaverbrook's charitable foundation. [1] In reaction, Lord Beaverbrook stated that he will appeal the arbitration ruling. Another case from a second descendant of Lord Beaverbrook who heads the Canadian branch of the Beaverbrook foundation is trying to win the paintings from court action [2]
Old 06-06-2007, 09:09 AM   #15

AND????????????
He has raced, it's in his blood, great prestige for GB, inteligent, smart and a great guy, and not out for what HE can get !!!!!!!!!!! above all HONEST
Old 06-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davis View Post
In my humble opinion, the sport is f**ked, and me, as a non licence holding, non rya member, emailing Puddleduck or whoever to voice my complaint really wouldn't make much difference!
Don't really understand the reasoning behind that... Other than being the great mans son, what qualities does he have that make him anymore suitable for the post than the Italian?
On your first point Tony, I am interested in your view that the sport is f**ked, care to expand on that a little and to how it should be un-f**ked?

On your second point, well, for one he is English, Two, he has a huge amount of Powerboat Racing knowledge having worked with Tim Powell on the C-T-C races for 21 years, Three, he actually has raced offshore several times and has that knowledge and experience, four, he is a highly accomplished car racer and therefore has that "Motorsport" experience as well, Five, he knows just about everyone there is to know in the offshore racing field and beyond, six, he is well liked, known to be hard working and honourable and to have the "spirit" of the sport at heart, not something that some of the other contestants are known for, seven, well do you want me to go on?

By the way, I hardly know the man, might have shaken his hand a couple of times but that's it. These are just MY observations from the sidelines and listening to others over the last 27 years. The fact that the RYA didn't rate him shows how little homework they did! I'm just sorry that JF doesn't appear to want to get involved in this extremely important debate.
ML.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #17

Elloquently put ML thanks, I was begining to think I was the only one worried about our sport.....,
I realy do not understand TD's negative attitude concidering the huge contribution earned from the sport which has gone towards your families security,and excuse the pun, with the extremely good boats you build and instrumental in the building for Honda.................
Surely TD it is in your own interest to boost the sport, even if you can't as you say be arsed to go to a race 5 mins down the road, but maybe that says more about you and why the sport is dying!!
But then again maybe you are so bored you just want to pick a fight.........
Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #18
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

TD used to be as passionate about Powerboat racing as anyone!

He was worn down by both the RYA, and the actions (or, in-actions) of some clubs.

He's now a Poker run supporter, in fact, it was him & Pascoe that really started the poker run thing over here, and sunk a 'good deal' of cash into trying to promote them back in the late 90s, early 00s.

Racing (officially) just aint his bag anymore. It's the way it is, so picking a fight with him won't get anyone, anywhere.

And to be honest, as far as regular racing series go, I feel pretty much the same these days. The RB is a whole different thing, not least, because it is being controlled outside of the normal arena.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #19

Jon I except and know what you mean, BUT surely our lobying the RYA, not puddle, can only be good for the sport be it racing and as I understand it many racer go poker anyway..
I don't want to fight with TD, he is a man I admire and respect even if he can be a little blinkered sometimes.....
I just want justice!!!
PLEASE JF help us ...... your the "bloody" genius on comps put something to-gether and e-mail to ALL boatmad members so we can flood the RYA.. Make them sit up and take note of the guys who pay their fecking wages and freebies!!!!
Soap box now put away.
Please...........................
Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #20

Not that I'm too fussed either way but would it be appropriate for a person who was made bankrupt with £5m debts, in 1992, to run an organisation, plus the little matter of being stripped of his seat in the House of Lords?

As for the more well known Lord B. he had a very well known friendship with a certain german man from the 1930's but managed to change direction quickly to become a war cabinet minister.

Not that I know the other people up for the post but he may be the best person for the job.

Cheers

Mark