Boatmad.com

Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Interests: Classic Powerboats, Music and Fashion
Boat name: Deja Vu
Boat make: Classic: 1976 Seacraft 23 foot
Engines: Yamaha 240HP
Cruising area: Salcombe & South Hams

MBY Ignoring Offshore Racing

Just looking inside from a distance. How well timed was MBY decision to no longer accept racing content for their periodical. The huge success and spectacular photos from the race has ensured that this decision denied them of some spectacular content. Maybe Hugo needs to reconsider - nostalgia and classic racing has huge support as well as the "True" Offshore racing that took place two weeks ago.
If MBY were more active in supporting the Sport that spawned its featured craft it must be to the good of all?

chris grayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris grayer View Post
Just looking inside from a distance. How well timed was MBY decision to no longer accept racing content for their periodical. The huge success and spectacular photos from the race has ensured that this decision denied them of some spectacular content. Maybe Hugo needs to reconsider - nostalgia and classic racing has huge support as well as the "True" Offshore racing that took place two weeks ago.
If MBY were more active in supporting the Sport that spawned its featured craft it must be to the good of all?
Mike Taylor has written a CTC 50th article which will appear in November's edition.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris grayer View Post
I agree with your suggestion about MBY, but can I ask if you subscribe to the magazine?

I think there must be a number of people on the BoatMad forum who always complain that there's never enough media coverage of powerboat racing in magazines, yet don't subscribe to any.
Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM   #4

I think it`s a sign of the times,all this reduced coverage.

No need to bring up the H20 debacle Chris(no not Mr.Grayer),but they are just one of many who find it dfficult to maintain a mag.

`Powerboat` in the U.S. just about keeps going with a much thinner mag.

It`s all internet info now,unfortunately.

Several years ago,I was speaking to one powerboat stalwart ,who said they were damned if they were going to pay £3 for 2 pages on powerboat racing.
Where are the rights and wrongs of that scenario,and here`s me with literally thousands of pages from magazines,which if you divided by say 3 and multiplied by £3,the money I`ve splashed out doesn`t bear thinking about.

Anyway,I know Chris Grayer has put a lot of time and effort into the `Surfury` situation,for he is one of the few real devotees,and is only saying what a lot of people must think,for with only a couple of pages on powerboating,there will always be some that will visit the W H Smith `Magazine Library` and put it back on the shelf having read what they want.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #5

Good points Graham and I have to agree. I was back in the UK flicking through the mags at the airport and if I'm honest I just don't have the spare cash to blow on a magazine that has little print area dedicated to my particular passion. I'm out of touch with the cost also of magazines these days, but for example I was going to buy a music mag - until I saw the 6 quid price tag!!! I remember when Powerboat and Waterskiing was something like 80p!
littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #6

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
I was speaking to one powerboat stalwart ,who said they were damned if they were going to pay £3 for 2 pages on powerboat racing.
But that same person would probably not think twice about handing over ten times that amount at the bar in Cowes.

MBY and MBM know who their readers are and not many if any, race a boat, so why should they bother with racing articles.
Then I did it to please others.
Then I did it for Money.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
But that same person would probably not think twice about handing over ten times that amount at the bar in Cowes.
Only you and Em would know, I was tucked up in bed.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
MBY and MBM know who their readers are and not many if any, race a boat, so why should they bother with racing articles.
To be fair, not many people who buy magazines covering Formula1 motor racing, participate themselves. readerships are usually made up of people interested, not just the do-ers.

Anyways, I wanna buy whatever shots you got of us from Cowes, how many? and how much?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #9

Interests: Old motor boats & old aircraft
Boat name: Pisces
Boat make: 1970 Stapely Falcon 17'
Engines: Merc 115 1984
Cruising area: CMBA meets

Quote:
I agree with your suggestion about MBY, but can I ask if you subscribe to the magazine?

I think there must be a number of people on the BoatMad forum who always complain that there's never enough media coverage of powerboat racing in magazines, yet don't subscribe to any.
Why would anyone subscribe to a magazine that doesn't feature their sport?? Are you suggesting that if we subscribed then we could lobby for more articles? I don't believe it works like that!
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenige View Post
I remember when Powerboat and Waterskiing was something like 80p!
Good to see Ros at Cowes this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	26732  
Old 10-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #11

Quote:

I subscribed many years ago and got fed up reading about plotters radios how to moor aboat etc. Actually found the boats for sale section more interesting particularly the private sales

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote