Boatmad.com

Old 13-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #1

Mr Noisey at Poole race ??

So what was this blue race boat?
looked like an old 30ft scarab or velocity??
and what the hell happened to it!! ??

Admiral P. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Burty
It was Mr Noisy but didn't start
we saw in trying to get back, it was on the rev limiter and couldn't even get on the plane, saw it being towed later on

Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #3

It seemed to head off to Old Harry and then kept turning round and round for ages.

Very strange

Mark
Old 13-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #4

but it made a good run across the bay to the starting line then it all went pop!!

Shame, cos to me it was to be the highlight of the day hearing those V8's with dry tips shake the bay!!

saw mr nosey leaving salterns at about 5pm... dont know where it was going!! watery grave??
Old 13-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #5

I find it very sad. I'd really like to see Mr Noisy run properly, but the poor old thing just keeps getting wheeled out without ever addressing the issues it has. (Props & Cooling, primarily)
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
hello

Quote:
Originally posted by Burty
It was Mr Noisy but didn't start
we saw in trying to get back, it was on the rev limiter and couldn't even get on the plane, saw it being towed later on
Was it on the limiter or was it missing so bad that it wouldnt rev?
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #7

Limiter.
Old 14-06-2006, 12:06 AM   #8

Interests: Boat, Landy, and other toys :)
Boat name: Mad Max/Master Fiddler
Boat make: Phantom 18/Fletcher Bravo
Engines: Merc XR2
Cruising area: Solent/IOW

Tony Hamilton arived in Cowes in it on Sunday Afternoon, he was supposed to race in it as the new Dog Gone has no class anywhere! (He was thinking about P1 but can't find any kind of class)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, grinning from ear to ear, overdosing on adrenaline and proclaiming “KINNEL!! WHAT A RIDE!!”
Maxim Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #9
Ben

Interests: Quiet desperation
Boat name: A Little Noisy
Boat make: Excalibur 24
Engines: Express Racing 525
Cruising area: Mobjack Bay (where?)

Who were the crew at Poole?

'Noisy' is an absolute pig to get on plane but it is do-able. It just takes a bit of seat time in the boat, a full bow tank and usually the help of a following sea (which is sadly not always available) but it will never be easy. It was difficult when it had small blocks and became more difficult when the staggered big blocks went in.

The problem is that there is not enough prop surface area. Four bladers would fix it as would a larger diameter three blade but there are no four blade cleavers that will fit the small diameter prop shaft on the SSM IIs and a larger diameter 3 blade is not an option as the diameter is severly limited by the cavitation plate.

If I remember correctly, we had 15 1/2 x 28s on the boat and that was as big as we could go diameter wise.
Old 14-06-2006, 06:56 AM   #10

what make of boat is she?

cant believe it was just the props that were a problem on sunday

the engines sounded like they were missfiring or something, sounded bad!!
Old 14-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

The motors were on the limiters, you can't spin the props any quicker than that.

I had a chat with a fella who has loads of small shaft cleavers the other day, sadly, no 4 bladers.

As you say Ben, a little technique would probably have made a world of difference.

I can only speculate as to the crew line up!

I'm tending to adopt the 'arms length' approach

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #12

Mebbe Ben should write an instruction manual.
Old 14-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #13

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Is there no way something could be rigged up to ventilate the prop's?, must admit when it passed the pier after having tried to get going it sounded very much like a misfire as the engine sounded no where near it,s red line!!! was also disappointed I think some one on here said it had the ability to reach 82mph so it would have made an interesting battle for the lead?
Old 14-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #14

Cleavers are crap at gripping when not on the plane, they just cavitate like a bastard. They're a "super cavitating" designed to be surface piercing.

The "ideal" solution would be to move to some non cleaver style props, ie with a bit of cup in that don't cavitate themselves to death. I don't really think blade area is the fundamental issue, it's the cleaver props that cause it. "If" a bravo 1 or mirage style prop fitted (I appreciate they don't), I think the issue would go away.

I suppose technically, adding some cup to a cleaver might alleviate the issue, but the blade shape is far from condusive to adhieving that. If you could get some large diameter ones and cut them down to leave some meat on the tips you could maybe get a working solution, but it'd very trial and error. Be easier to stick a 40hp outboard on the back to give it a bit extra grunt to get on the plane, and once planing stop the motor and tilt it up.

I assume the bow tank was full and the tabs were full down?

Ben seemed to have a technique to get it on the plane that works.
On sunday, it certainly looked like if 2 of the guys had climbed onto the foredeck it woulda made it. OK so a rule might have been broken, but hey....
Old 14-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
"If" a bravo 1 or mirage style prop fitted (I appreciate they don't), I think the issue would go away.
With 'Flo-Torque' hubs, B1's may be usable by making up some flo-torque's with the small shaft SM spline, With the adaptors made, it would then allow any merc flo-torque prop to be tried.

The solid Flo-Torque is just a bronze centre, and wouldn't be that hard to get the female spline re-machined.

EDIT> It may even be available in the States as a production item.

PS. cfun, from where I was, it sounded like they were revving pretty high. Remember, that motor (502 GM) with the stock efi is rev limited at 5150rpm, so not that high.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 14-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #16
The Doc

I assume the cleavers are being used in order to achieve the greatest top speed? Or is it to allow the engines to rev?

either way, my question is, if they went over to more conventional props........ how much top end are they likely to lose in return for a boat that actually manages to get on top of it?
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #17
numbskull

The boat 'appears' to run pretty bow light, certainly most of the pics I've seen of it running, give that impression. The cleavers would help to pick the arse up and correct this to a point. But as you say, better to run with stacks of 'in-trim', and be able to get on plane at will, than struggle as it is.

I think I'd be looking into small hub SM > Flo-Torque adaptors if it were me. The more I think about it, the more I reckon they must be available in the US.

Old 14-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #18

I agree. Either sleeves on the current shafts (didn't you or someone already identify these exist?) to make em a "standard" size, or a set of custom made hubs. What I wasn't sure about was whether the bullet size tapes right down to the shaft, or whether it remains full diameter as per bravo drive.

Either way, I'm sure there's enough different through hub and over hub props to have a choice.

Also agree, defo sounded like bouncing on the rev limiter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
With 'Flo-Torque' hubs, B1's may be usable by making up some flo-torque's with the small shaft SM spline, With the adaptors made, it would then allow any merc flo-torque prop to be tried.

The solid Flo-Torque is just a bronze centre, and wouldn't be that hard to get the female spline re-machined.

EDIT> It may even be available in the States as a production item.

PS. cfun, from where I was, it sounded like they were revving pretty high. Remember, that motor (502 GM) with the stock efi is rev limited at 5150rpm, so not that high.
Old 14-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #19
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
What I wasn't sure about was whether the bullet size tapes right down to the shaft, or whether it remains full diameter as per bravo drive.
Good point!!

Here's a wee video clip of it running on Sunday.

My assistant didn't get very much video, so this is all ya gonna see.

Cancer Research 2006

Old 14-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #20

Having just read this thread here's my tuppence worth! Now I admit i don't know a lot when it comes to props and getting on the plane. I can only speak from experience. A few years back I was co-piloting a RIB with a friend who in untypical fashion teased the boat up onto the plane using extremely small throttle increments. This meant the boat took a lot longer to get on the plane but it also meant no over-revving or (apparent) cavitation whatsoever. It was a 6.5 metre RIB with a 225hp Yam on the back. I had only known the half or full throttle approach with the associated cavitation and eventual climb out of the hole. Would this work with Mr Noisy??

littlenige is offline   Reply With Quote