Boatmad.com

Old 14-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #1

New boat new problems !

Hi I'm new to all this so any advice would be greatly recieved. I have just purchased a 14ft dejon type boat. I currently own a Johnson 6hp outboard that I think can be used in conjunction with teleflex steering and throttle control, but will it be powerful enough ? My aim initially is to learn how to use it ! I was thinking i would go to Windermere and use it there to start with then maybe once I've got to grips with it all I might be abit more adventurous and take it on the sea ?

Any advice ?

Many thanks

Nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

Interests: Powerboating, Squash, Running, Horseracing
Boat name: FAT BOY
Boat make: Cougar 27'
Engines: EVINRUDE G2 300
Cruising area: Orwell, Harwich, East Coast

Send a message via AIM to Childsy
Dejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickg View Post
Hi I'm new to all this so any advice would be greatly recieved. I have just purchased a 14ft dejon type boat. I currently own a Johnson 6hp outboard that I think can be used in conjunction with teleflex steering and throttle control, but will it be powerful enough ? My aim initially is to learn how to use it ! I was thinking i would go to Windermere and use it there to start with then maybe once I've got to grips with it all I might be abit more adventurous and take it on the sea ?

Any advice ?

Many thanks
Hi,
When i was a kid my dad had a friend who had a Dejon, was a very good estuary boat and was powered by a 20hp Mariner, speed at full throttle (20 ish MPH) and got the boat on plane easy enough.. i can tell you about an experience we all had.
Coming out of the River Exe and around by the Harbour area in Exmouth you can get a rapid tidal race which makes it very choppy, this Dejon we were on got very unstable which was because due to the design, not a flat bottom boat but a shallow 'V'.. basically not a boat to take out in a bit of rough but perfect for an Estuary or Lake boating.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Mark

Childsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

Mark has said it all but I would recommend more hp.
A friend had it with a 35hp (521cc) Evinrude and I think that it is the perfect engine for it.
olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #4

Thank you both for your replies and advice. I think it'll do for a little potter around a lake however perhaps more hp required for anything else !
Nickg is offline   Reply With Quote