Old 05-12-2004, 12:21 AM   #61
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by chaudron
with a full cabin phantom i think it might be difficult to have a forward ballast tank as a lot of headroom would be lost, no problem for a race boat though without a cabin.
dunno about loss of headroom, the 28's get the bow tank right up front beneath the anchor locker, so they don't affect the cabin size.

Quote:
do you know what layup Steve was using for the 28 and what type of resin?
Yes thanks.

Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:23 AM   #62
numbskull

Quote:
actually the roughest sea encountered in Powerboat P1 this year was the UK Grand Prix in Brighton, that was a tough race with huge waves
Yes, I was there.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:34 AM   #63
The Doc

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
The heavier the boat is, the harder it will be to shift the C of G with ballast, whereas a light boat will require less ballast to achieve the weight shift.
Well, thatsme ****ed then!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 12:24 PM   #64
numbskull

Quote:
Look at the Powerboat P1 championships, its the guys with the bigger and heavier boats who are winning....the top US boats, Pantera and Donzi were getting trashed by the heavier CUV's...in Supersport class a 7 tonne boat built in Italy was winning all the races
Only just saw this.

Yes, of course the big Italian ex class 1 boats will do well in the rough, they're old, but they're pure race boats, they're bigger than the donzi etc, but more importantly, they're running big Issotta Fraschini racing diesels, that probably make 200 hp more (each) than the Mercruiser 525's of the Donzi.

And the boat that is by far the most impressive (Wetpunkt.com (the Buzzi, not the Nicolini)) is a very pure racing machine with very pure racing motors, IRO 900hp each! they can afford to pull some extra weight. Put the 525's of the Donzi in the big CUV and see how competitive it is then!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #65
hello

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny
There's every chance I guess, could well be the same boat.
Spoke to Cye today and whilst he hadnt heard of the name 'Here On Business' he said that he'd been told that 'The Edge' had been raced at Windemere by Neil in the endurance race a few years back. The guy that owned it before the current owner prevoiusly had another boat also called 'The Edge'. So I would guess he remamed 'Here on Business' to 'The Edge' as this is the name he raced under.

Kind regards,

Sherlock Holmes (no relation to Neil)

JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:18 PM   #66

Interests: WORK/INFATABLES
Boat name: MINCER
Boat make: RIB 9M
Engines: BENT ONES
Cruising area: ANY PUBLIC TOILETS

Quote:
my initial post was that the chaudron 28 might be a bit heavier than the 28 phantom.
Rough and strong dont take long.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #67

Boat make: rib/cat/mono/tri
Cruising area: i DONT CRUISE anywhere

Send a message via AIM to PHANTOM EVOLUTION
phantom 21

The light weight 21 was called 'here on business' and had a 2.5 EFI mercury on it .the boat ran 93 mph and yes i did race it at Windermere enduro and cleaned up, the boat was very very strong and in the rough was a dream to drive ,the new owner then called it The Edge, this 21 was one of the lightest,fastest,strongest,Phantom 21 ever built by Steve,and in the rough was unbelieveable
PHANTOM EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #68
numbskull

Cool! Do you think that if Mr Chaudrom built a lead version, it would be better?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 09-12-2004, 02:58 PM   #69
hello

Only if he built it with a granite core
Old 09-12-2004, 03:05 PM   #70
hello

yeah you might be right, it would certainly look nicer, how about a solid marble upper deck, that would look well tasty
Old 09-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #71
The Doc

Mines made of a Ardem Vella/ Iron and cement composite...........known to be superb in the rough!
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:15 PM   #72
hello

why dont they make boats out of Adamantium it is after all the strongest metal in the world
Old 09-12-2004, 03:19 PM   #73
hello

tisnt
Old 09-12-2004, 03:22 PM   #74
hello

yeah but if it was why did they make Wolverines skeliton out of Adamantium?
Old 09-12-2004, 03:25 PM   #75
hello

so how do they no its stronger if they cant get any
Old 09-12-2004, 03:36 PM   #76

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Adamantium is a virtually indestructible man-made steel alloy which does not occur in nature and whose exact chemical composition is a United States government classified secret. Adamantium is not an element: its properties do not qualify it for any know space on the Periodic Table of Elements. Rather, Adamantium is a series of closely related compounds of iron created through a secret process discovered by the American metallurgist Dr. Myron MacLain.

MacLain began experimenting with the process that created Adamantium as a young scientist in the employ of the United States government in the early 1940s. Assigned to create a super-metal with which to build tanks, MacLain labored for month, experimenting with various iron alloys. One of his experiments utilized the rare meteoric ore now known as Wakandan Vibranium. He tried to fuse the Vibranium to the iron alloy numerous times without success. Then one night when he dozed off, some as yet unknown factor entered the process, and permitted the fusion to occur. Upon discovering his success, MacLain poured the molten metal into a disc-shaped mold. The disc, once solidified, has proven to be the most impervious object ever created on Earth. MacLain turned the discover to the government and it was given to Captain America to use as his shield. Neither MacLain nor anyone else has ever been able to discover what was the x-factor that entered the process, or has been able to fuse Vibranium with another metal. (The unknown iron-Vibranium alloy of which the shield is composed resembles True Adamantium, although Adamantium itself contains no Vibranium,)

Over the following decades MacLain experimented, attempting to duplicate the process that create the shield. Finally, in recent years, he succeeded in developing the process by which the substance known as True Adamantium is created. True Adamantium is nearly as strong as Captain America's shield, and is, for all practical purpose, indestructible. The degree of impermeability varies directly with the thickness of the Adamantium. A direct blow from Thor's hammer, conveyed with the thunder god's full strength, will slightly dent a solid cylinder of True Adamantium. A sufficient mass of Adamantium could survive a direct hit from a nuclear weapon.

Adamantium is created through the mixing of certain chemical resins whose composition is a United States government secret. For eight minutes after the resins are mixed, the Adamantium can be molded into a particular shape as long as it is kept at a temperature of 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit. After this brief period the process of creating Adamantium is completed. The extremely stable molecular structure of the Adamantium prevents it from being molded further, even if the temperature remains high enough to keep it in liquefied form. Only a device celled a Molecular Rearranger can alter the form of hardened Adamantium.

The United States government has shared the secret of Adamantium's composition with certain of its allies, and the secret has also fallen into the hands of various criminals, such as the Constrictor, who has made special weaponry from Adamantium. Wolverine possesses artificial claws made of True Adamantium and his bones have been fused with Adamantium in an unexplained manner so as to greatly increase their tensile strength. The outer portion of the robotic body of Ultron is also composed entirely of True Adamantium, although Ultron's inner mechanisms are not.

Adamantium is extraordinarily expensive to produce. Therefore, certain parties who wish to use Adamantium on a large scale have resorted to utilizing a similar but somewhat weaker compound similar to True Adamantium called Secondary Adamantium. Although Secondary Adamantium is still far stronger than even titanium steel, it can be destroyed by sufficiently great amounts of force. Blastaar's energy discharges and the vibratory force created by the Overkill Horn have both proved able to destroy Secondary Adamantium. The sentient computer known as F.A.U.S.T. had a casing made of Secondary Adamantium which Thor and Iron Man managed to destroy. The Red Skull and the original Hate-Monger had a dome of Secondary Adamantium constructed to protect their island fortress but the dome was destroyed by the vibratory force of the Overkill Horn and by powerful incendiary bombs.
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #77
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
I believe the new Falcon is made out of the entire world's supply.
No, they must have used the worlds supply to create Manos's unbelievably thick, strong, exterior (skin)
Old 29-08-2005, 11:31 PM   #78

Interests: kids & fun
Boat name: Taboo Too
Boat make: Chaudron 33
Engines: 2 x 225 Merc Optimax
Cruising area: south coast & med

I have owned the following in the last 20 yrs...
Marlin Mirage 22, Ring 20, Phantom 21, Chaudron 25 & Chaudron 33.

My experiences are...

Marlin Mirage was very light (kevlar & cf layup) 72mph with 225hp
Chined at 65mph but could control.

Ring 20 standard lay up, 65mph with 225. Chined out of control at 55-60mph....sold asap.

Phantom 21 I guess standard lay up, with 225 72mph. Great ride very little chining.

Asked SB to make me a Phantom 25 with cabin & other special specs. SB quoted (without engines or trailer) £ 11,500. Went for Chaudron 25 including cabin, gill braket, stainless fuel tank & fittings cost £5350. Much better build quality than Phantom, had 8
people dancing on nose, no cracks, not even hair line! To the uneducated & to put the record straight, Chaudron 25 is not a copy, the Phantom mould would not fit over a Chaudron boat.
Chaudron have taken a brilliantly designed (SB) boat & improved it. I got 79.4mph (on GPS) with 225 Optimax across Sarasota Bay in 5/6ft seas. Howerver in dead flat conditions 69mph max.

I now have Chaudron 33 with twin 225 Optimax. Best rough water boat I have ever been in. Running 21p props, max speed on GPS is 68mph but both over rev alarms go off. Not tested on larger props yet. Chaudron 33 P1 race boat does 75mph with twin 250 & running 23p props, but does not have fridge, Cooker. TV, Shower, Toilet & sleeps 5. But he won P1 British Grand Prix & I did'nt.
kinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #79
numbskull

You need to take a reality check!

And to set your uneducated record straight, I'm not having another "jackanory" thread about illegal copies of British boats performing impossible miracles on a 15p budget, wasting server space on my website.

Got it?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 30-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #80

Interests: kids & fun
Boat name: Taboo Too
Boat make: Chaudron 33
Engines: 2 x 225 Merc Optimax
Cruising area: south coast & med

Quite happy to give u a test ride, I can only talk from experience.
But note:SB without doubt designed & built a fantastic race boat, I'm British & very proud of what SB achieved, but sadly british workmanship & skills has diminished in all areas. Quite willing to show u evidence.

kinfast is offline   Reply With Quote