Boatmad.com

Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 AM   #1

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Reggie Fountain starts new boat company

RF--or Real Fast--Powerboats becomes Reggie’s latest venture after leaving Fountain Powerboats in December

Fountain Powerboats founder Reggie Fountain has launched a new boat company called RF Powerboats. Fountain resigned from Fountain Powerboats last December, citing differences with Liberty Associates, who rescued it from bankruptcy protection in early 2010.

Fountain told WITN that name of his new company could stand for his initials or “Real Fast” Powerboats. "What we've got is the latest great stuff,” he said. “I want to re-do engineering and it's going to run faster, look better, be more modern."

Fountain said that he had a space to store his new RF boats. For now, he said he would use his waterfront home for R&D, testing, sales and marketing for the new company.

Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #2

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

If i'm honest I had an idea he would do this. It will be interesting to see if he totally leaves the fountain look behind.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

Interests: surface piercing props, stepped hulls, air entrapment hulls
Boat name: none
Boat make: PetterTintorera
Engines: Yamaha 90
Cruising area: West Coast of Norway

Reggie Fountain Announces RF Powerboats (from powerboatmag)

To follow up on the announcement from Reggie Fountain—the founder and recently resigned chief operating officer of Fountain Powerboats in Washington, N.C.—that he was starting RF Powerboats, Powerboat’s Editor at Large Matt Trulio contacted Fountain by phone on Wednesday. He agreed to speak with Trulio, who writes a blog on www.speedonthewater.com, with the understanding that we would hold the interview until today.

Here’s what Fountain had to say:

reggie_rfpowerboatsSo what is RF Powerboats?

RF Powerboats is Real Fast Powerboats. Right now, I can’t legally use Reggie Fountain as a name for a boat company, though it may eventually become known as that.

What are your plans?

We are going to be heavy into service, heavy into brokerage of boats and heavy into building boats. My first two boats will be a 43-foot sport boat, a greatly enhanced and up-tuned version of my 42 but just a hair larger, and a 39-foot center console, which will be an upgraded and up-tuned version of my 38. I haven’t upgraded the styling of either of those boats since 2004.

My third boat will be a 32-foot center console. I also plan on producing two cruisers—a 40-footer and a 50-footer. We have six boats sold so far.

Will RF Powerboats be a custom boat company?

We are going to be a custom boat company. That’s how I started, so I’m going back to my roots. I think we have the nicest research, development and service facility on the shores of the Pamlico River (in Washington, N.C.). We will bring out buyers into this four-million-square-foot, seven-acre facility, which has a pier and a canal. It also will be the Fountain Hotel for the people who come to buy our boats—there will be four guest bedrooms.

My son, Reggie, will be doing a lot of the rigging. I will have two other distribution centers in addition to our headquarters, one with my good friend Scott Shogren (of Shogren Performance Marine) and with my good friend Randy Hartmann in Kentucky.

Production will be very limited to begin with. We can do 50 boats a year, but we’ll start with 24 in the first year. We will have our first boats ready in late May or early June, and we will not build any boats that have not been taken, meaning ordered by individual customers who have put down deposits.
Scand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #4

Interests: Boats, design, advertising, music, movies, boats, boats, boats ;-)
Boat name: Speedy Canoe
Boat make: Aero 21
Engines: Mariner 150
Cruising area: Stockholm archipelago

So does this mean he personally owns IP on some of the models from Fountain Powerboats? Sounds weird!
jonp is offline   Reply With Quote