Boatmad.com

Old 31-08-2007, 11:41 AM   #1

Resurrect the Cowes - Torquay

With the growth of P1 and the considerable stick it gets through imposing speed limits, what a perfect opportunity to relaunch the Cowes-Torquay race. P1 races under UIM pleasure and navigation rules and both are essential for the CTC marathon, while over such a distance, it's doubtful if their speed limits would be exceeded. Although watching the P1 fleet hammer around an enlarged OCR course in the Solent is spectacular, it is also sacrilage to witness the big diesel powered rigs struggle around those tight corners.

Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #2

Interests: Boats/Cranes
Boat make: Revenger 29 RIB
Engines: Illmor V10/625hp.

Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon McMath
It would also give all those RB8 boat owners another(dare I say yearly) event to look forward to in the highly unlikely event that RB8 does not take place.

Gordon McMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Reckon our 31 would make a nice C-T-C boat. mebbe even a stepped version!

new classes, or existing UIM???

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #4

Interests: boats, cars,film.f1 and anitques/paintings
Boat name: tba
Cruising area: south coast France and med

Read the other threads re Cowes and Round the Island ....................PLEASE
TimB-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #5

NEW based on 70/72 UIM rules
Old 01-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #6

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

I am going to join in on this one as there is a lot going on about the CTC right now and a lot being said but little action.

P1 still have the rights to the CTC from the BPRC although, when I was asking the BPRC about this earlier this year I was told that P1 was losing the rights after this year. Obviously, when the RB08 fleet gets back in July next year there will be well over 50 boats that could do this race like falling off a log with all crews highly experienced in handling such a long race, only one of our legs actulaly! It has crossed my mind several times to ask permission to put this race on again after the RB08 (it wouldn't be difficult after all we have been through) and I have actually broached the subject to the BPRC but never actually got a yes or a no so that is all up in the air. I have now been told third hand that COPOC reckon they are going to put it on and that they have a sponsor, we will wait with baited breath on that one! Now I hear that P1 are interested in running the CTC with their other P1 races next year. Now that would make sense although I don't think they have the experience or the knowledge on how to do that. Maybe I am wrong, (it has been known) but they would, and should, have someone like Tim Powell at the helm to make sure it was a great event again. Unfortunately Tim isn't that well right now but he might be next year.

Certainly the RB08 team could do it, we have the rules (I expect a blast from T.BC there), the classes, the team, the boats and the enthusiasm but do we have the time?

Certainly the guys would love to do it and that's all that matters really. All the politics and political shuffling that goes on I can't be bothered with and as I won't mix with "them" it's probably why so many are bad mouthing the RB08 event. As usual, everyone forgets about the guy's (and girls) who just want to go out there and race. So I am a big YES for bringing the CTC back, whoever organises it although personally, I think that Tim.B.C. should do it using the RB08 rules and reg's if he asked me real nicely. Now there's a thought!
ML
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

RB08 rules exclude canopied boats, so I would prefer to use the UIM class rules for each type of boat entering the event.
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #8

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
RB08 rules exclude canopied boats, so I would prefer to use the UIM class rules for each type of boat entering the event.
Just take your conopy off !!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
Large member

Great idea, why did I not think of that? I have a chain saw.......
Old 01-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #10

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verytricky View Post
Interesting statement!
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 AM   #11
Large member

What part is interesting?
Define what you mean by interesting? That you think it is a good idea, or not?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #12

Well ML.........Here it comes............
Sur ewould like to do CTC and yes RB08 rules could be used need a bit of working, but hwy not as long as you can be flexible with entries,
I do think the Class rules do need working to fit the boats rather than boats fitting class.
We could form a set of endurance rules..
BUT do we go race or rally or poker run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Depends how much politics and people trying to stick there knives in ..
Old 02-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #13

Marc, if you want race a canopied boat?? if you can afford your own hellicopter,pilot, medics and divers feel free,I wonder what that would cost
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #14

Interests: Powerboat Racing
Boat name: Team Purple, Team Shark
Boat make: Sperstock 150, 300 race boats, Class 3s cat
Engines: Honda 150, 2.5 efi ROS*2
Cruising area: Solent

Canopy Vs open - the challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
Marc, if you want race a canopied boat?? if you can afford your own hellicopter,pilot, medics and divers feel free,I wonder what that would cost
Tim, not particuarly picking up on your specific comment on canopy boats - just I suppose responding to a collection generally over last few months.

Quite simply I dont get the canopy boats are unsafe arguement - this could probably make an interesting new thread!

70 Knot hook and the boat goes over, Ill take may chances in a canopy boat.
Ill sit there in my harness, shout and scream a little at a few cracked ribs, go onto air, flood the canopy, release my harness and swim out onto my personal autoair at this point and inflate my life jacket. Im out, near the boat and potentially in a position to get my liferaft.

70 Knot hook and the boat goes over in an open cockpit boat, if I get thrown clear at 70 knots probably going to break lots of bones (they reckon 4 per bounce) then assuming the boat does not land on me and toast me I then have a long way to get back to the hull to get any essential safety equipment - probably my best chance is to activate a personal epirb if it has not got ripped off and float around injured and getting slowly hypothermic
If you stay with the boat - and assuming you dont get fatally injured from the water pressure hitting you, you still have to orientate yourself and swim from under the boat, but with a lifejacket that will probably keep you pinned to the upturned deck, and you will have to take it off to get out anyway.

I am speaking from some experience, some of you may have met me before if you did your immersion certificates at Andark, where until 1996 I was a regular safety diver in the immersion drills.

it was interesting to watch the reaction of people, and I think it comes down to how comfortable you are in an enclosed environment, with the right equipment at that time in the water - do you panic or do work through the drill.

Fair enough, if it goes wrong and you are knocked unconcious in the middle of the irish sea in a flooding canopy boat, you are toast!

I'd sign a disclaimer and take my chances given the option, but thats me.

I was led to believe that the main reason that the V hulled open Class one boats were discontiued was the saftey aspects of open cockpits at the speeds those boats were starting to obtain.

Sadly, powerboat racing is still the most dangerous form of motorsport if you measure it in the most morbid way - what other form of racing would you be allowed to travel in machines of these sizes and speeds and power without a form of restraint system?

Give the canopy boat a chance - its inception I believe was to make racing safer!

Saying that, canopy, no canopy - they all have there specific challenges from a safety aspect

DISCUSS!
The Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #15

point 1 as an "old" racer I hate them.
point 2 I have nothing against them.
HOWEVER, my comments to tricky dick was sarcasm...............if you read my previous comments etc You just mught see that I think many, possibly the majority of rules are useless and stupid etc.
as for you signing an indemnity only says to me that unfortunately you ar eout of touch with life in general, sorry if that sounds rude.. But you can sign what you want it means "Jack S**T" your family or who ever will and can sue the pants of the organisers...........................
DEBATED
Old 02-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB-C View Post
But you can sign what you want it means "Jack S**T" your family or who ever will and can sue the pants of the organisers...........................
DEBATED

Very sad but true. And I believe one of the larger reasons that our sport is in trouble, eveyone is (understandably) shit scared of liability resting at their feet.

I'd love to blame Drudge & pussyfoot, all on their own, but can't.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 02-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
Aged Member

Boat name: Savannah
Boat make: Princess 415
Engines: Volvos
Cruising area: SOLENT

And that Ladies and Gentlemen, is the rock bottom line for Event / Race organisers in this country right now.

Thanks to the age of litigation arriving, big courses, or anything not protected by 8 layers of inflatable rubber, are avoided like the plague.

Having only raced since 98-99 (not really aware of it till then) one of my regrets is not being in a position to do the CTC when it was still being run.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #18

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

I noticed a lot of talk about Canopies v Open Boats, and the thing that needs to be bourn in mind is One simple factor.

If a boat is capable of speeds of 100 MPH plus and it stuffs or rolls in an Open cockpit you have little or no protection, and the chances of being Toast or seriously injured are very high. If you are in a proberly set up canopied boat you are strapped in so you will not be thrown about the cockpit or ejected from the boat, and the canopy will afford you a greater deal of protection.

The downside is that you are now strapped in a boat that is upside down and filling up with water fast, but if the crew are well trained and level headed they will do what they have been taught to do. In my PERSONAL view canopied boats that exceed 90 MPH, the crew SHOULD be on full time air, this is the way the Americans work it. This means that even if the crew are knocked out they are still breathing, it also takes away the panic factor of having to find the demand valve, as we all know that when disaster strikes it tends to happen in One hell of a rush!.

It is my view that there is a lot of talk on here about the good old days and i am not knocking the good old days, but like so many things in life things have moved on for example there is not to my knowledge a single boat in the evolution class of P1 that is not capable of 100 MPH or more. These speeds back in the 60's and 70's would have been record breaking now they are the norm. You could liken it to Formula 1 racing cars back in the 60's and 70's drivers often got killed due to the lack of protection, now they have safety cells etc and walk away from 200MPH crashs without a bump.

So while in the good old days it was great fun tearing about at 40knots wearing leather flying helmets just after a cocktail party, things have changed slightly as have the boats, safety equipment and general racing conditions.

So now that leaves it wide open for debate!!!!
flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #19
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightracingteam View Post
So while in the good old days it was great fun tearing about at 40knots wearing leather flying helmets just after a cocktail party
that comment was unwise.

You really know how to upset the more 'experienced' racers eh.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #20

Interests: boats
Boat make: new boat on way
Cruising area: uk

Not at all that was all that was avalible and not meant in any disrespect to the people who raced at the time.

Lets be honest here they were the people who started a passion for the sport which still lives on today. Having spent a great deal of time talking to personal friend who did just that with the photos to prove it i would never knock it.

Just to give a small History lesson the first Cowes- Torquay was held in 61 and was won by a boat called Thunderbolt driven by the great Tommy Sopwith with an ave speed of 25 MPH. The following year it was Tramontana with an Ave speed of 37 MPH. As we all know the speeds did not really get going until the 70's and even then the speeds hit the mid 70's. Like i said times have moved on.

So no disrespect the very greatest of respect, but i was just stating a fact.

flightracingteam is offline   Reply With Quote