Boatmad.com

Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #1

Boat make: Revenger 25SC
Engines: not big enough

Revenger 25sc info??

Hello all! new to boatmad, looking some info on a boat.
Just bought a Revenger 25sc and having read up on the racing history i was wondering if anybody had info on build numbers? how many were made for racing? how many for pleasure? or am i totally wrong and that they were all made for pleasure then modified for racing???
Any info at all would be appreciated!

ODCarsEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #2

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCarsEngineering View Post
Hello all! new to boatmad, looking some info on a boat.
Just bought a Revenger 25sc and having read up on the racing history i was wondering if anybody had info on build numbers? how many were made for racing? how many for pleasure? or am i totally wrong and that they were all made for pleasure then modified for racing???
Any info at all would be appreciated!
Originally designed and built by Roger Dobson of Plancraft Marine http://www.plancraft.co.uk/boat_history.htm in Guildford and the production then moved to the coast.There are quite a few of us on here who owned and raced the Revenger 25 and there are still a few around, Brian Pelham for instance has just re-purchased Pink Beaver. There is a guy called Philip Morris who worked for Revenger for many years, he has a lot of knowledge on the Revenger range. He is certainly on Facebook so you could try raising him on there. In 1983 the first ones came off the production line and certainly the first five were all for racing. The first one went to Colin Stewart fitted with a single big block 400hp engine and went like stink and was un-beaten in his class. I know because my brother navigated in it and he said it topped 75mph on a regular basis. It also came 4th overall in the 1984 RB race (it says 6th in the Revenger write up but that is wrong). The 2nd went to Lady Arran and was fitted with twin 260hp mercs and she also took part in the 1984 RB coming 3rd I think in Class 1! I purchased the 3rd boat fitted with a 290hp Volvo inboard, that boat won me 11 races and was also unbeaten in it's class in 1984. the 4th was purchased by Maurice Williamson (Big & Beefy) and was also fitted with a 290ho Volvo inboard and also took part in the 1984 RB. Several were then built fitted with BMW inboard engines for racing including Ultimatum which Roger Dobson raced himself. You will have to rely on Philip Morris for more info but that's a starter. The Revenger 25sc was and is a great sea boat, able to handle serious water if driven correctly. Tom & Charlie Williams purchased one in 2007 (originally built in 1983 with twin BMW's so already 24 yrs old) and rebuilt it with a single 310hp Yanmar to take part in the 2008RB and completed the 1400nm course and did well - see attached. I once drove mine (Ocean World) by sea from Southampton to Torquay, raced, won and drove her back home by sea. Great boat and great fun.
ML.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17 action 03_800x532.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	43497  

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #3

Mike,
many many thanks for that information! the more i read about the them the more excited i get to get mine out on the water!
Do you know of any numbers stamped on the boats? any hidden manufacturing numbers? or a way of determining the year of my boat?
Charlie
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODCarsEngineering View Post
Mike,
many many thanks for that information! the more i read about the them the more excited i get to get mine out on the water!
Do you know of any numbers stamped on the boats? any hidden manufacturing numbers? or a way of determining the year of my boat?
Charlie
Possibly right rear top of transom.
ML.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Mike, where and how did Mike Sloggit fit in with Revenger?
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
The Doc

He was the owner
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #7

Thats what I understood Chaos.

I didn't know that the 25sc was originally designed and built by Roger Dobson of Plancraft Marine though!

I thought that Plancraft Marine had built some of them but not all of them.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #8

was it not a Don Shead design?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

The Revenger Monza definitely was and I must say the 25sc does share the familiar Don Shead strake layout.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
The Doc

to be honest I assumed there was only really ever one hull

25sc became the mediterainee, became the san marino then stretched to the st tropez & monza
Old 04-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #11

Chaos, I think the 25sc, mediteranee and san marino may share the same hull but the Monza and St Tropez I thought were wider?
Old 04-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
to be honest I assumed there was only really ever one hull

25sc became the mediterainee, became the san marino then stretched to the st tropez & monza
They must of stretched and pulled it then.
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #13

Interests: sport
Boat name: Santana

The 25's and derivatives were a Don Shead hull design. The Monza was a Lorne Campbell design.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #14

Thanks for clearing that up Adam.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #15

i have been reading the great article online that talks about 'Sweet Revenge' race number P77, that was run by Adrian Bright. He talks about the modifications that were made to his boat (engine mounts, exhaust system, fuel system, battery box location etc). Unless these modifications were copied by other Revenger 25sc's, this boat i have just purchased seems to tick every single item that Adrian talks about, down to the Halon gas fire extinguishers! The engine mounts are exactly as described, the fuel tank he mentions that was fitted to his boat is identical. The Penske racing team manufactured exhaust 'Y' is there in all its stainless glory. Sanding through the dodgy paint has revealed the orginal paint which has the grey stripe shown in the pictures of P77 when she was racing. Can anyone give me a dead cert way of confirming yes or no what the identification of my boat is?
Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #16

Engines: none at the mo
Cruising area: south coast

revenger

put a few pics up of it some may know it
deepvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Holmes View Post
Thats what I understood Chaos.

I didn't know that the 25sc was originally designed and built by Roger Dobson of Plancraft Marine though!

I thought that Plancraft Marine had built some of them but not all of them.
I have to add a correction here, Roger Dobson (now deceased) was working out of a Unit by the River Wey in Guildford and somehow I got to know him. Maybe I had met him at a race. As my business was in Guildford naturally I would pop down to see him on a regular basis and watched as he began to build the top deck mold over the original hull. I do remember him saying that the hull had raced several times in 111c or 111d, maybe someone on here can remember that. Anyhow, so the 26sc developed. He made an arrangement with a couple of guys who were working out of a shed (Bryn & ?) north of Swanwick (on the Hamble) and they were contracted to build the boats with Disprin the Fast One being the first.

At what stage Mike Sloggett got involved I have no idea.

The 25sc definitely had a Don Shead type hull, we learned very quickly that when turning hard on a buoy we had to drop a tab before the buoy to stop the boat running on it's side. The first time that happened to us was a WTF moment!

I am in touch with Adrian Bright who now lives in Australia and will get more info on his ex boat.
ML.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #18

Adrian Bright was a thoroughly nice guy. I think he raced Sweet Revenge with Nick Goozee from Penske Cars as driver with Adrian on Throttles. I drove for him during records week when he took the cruiser record. From memory I think it was high 50's but it must of been round 89/90 or so.
Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #19

really appreciating the help guys, i bought the boat purely as i fell in love with it as soon as i saw it, and because of the noise of the V8 when it fired first time after standing for several years! i had no idea of the racing heritage of the Revenger, and if there was even a slight chance of it being a known race boat?! Im now planning a gentle restoration of the boat, but too be honest mechanics and electrics are in brilliant and fully working condition (a full inspection is being done regardless!). The biggest issue with the boat is the trailer its sitting on, but a weekends work with all new parts will have that sorted!
Old 05-12-2014, 01:45 AM   #20
The Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lloyd View Post
He made an arrangement with a couple of guys who were working out of a shed (Bryn & ?) north of Swanwick (on the Hamble) and they were contracted to build the boats with Disprin the Fast
Bryn and Tony @ Trio Mouldings ?