Boatmad.com

Old 27-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #121

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon McMath View Post
Dont worry im keeping him informed,he is reading your posts with increasing mmm how shall i put it-interest ! watch this space for his reply !!!
That's great news Gordon, nice to hear the man himself is taking an interest in Larby's plight, must admit I think having discovered what he discovered I would of found a long pier with me anchor tied round me head to jump off ... weeeee but he seems to really be rising to the challenge extremely well

Old 27-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #122

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

Not wanting to defend the chappy who put the boat together if he is a known a$$hole, but maybe he was building it to the best he knew how and with the materials he had available...

If the boat is 20 years old, he could have been building the boat to last him a couple of race seasons on his budget and not expected it to be around by this time... or not even thought about it!

I know i don't care about people in the year 2020 as I duck tape my van together

But i don't know the bloke so just a thought before everyone slagggggggs him off

Old 27-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #123

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy21 View Post
Not wanting to defend the chappy who put the boat together if he is a known a$$hole, but maybe he was building it to the best he knew how and with the materials he had available...
Personally I agree this is true, if you bang up some hopscotch boat for your own use and you should be so lucky as to sell it on more fool the mug that buys it off you ... HOWEVER again I personally feel a few things are very wrong in this case ie ... theft of mould, which essentially it is by using someone else's mould and consequently their hull design, aka all the Revenger hull rip-offs and Phantom rip-offs ... but in this instance and it's the BIG ONE it seems Revenger decided to take this one back into the fold and happily call it a Revenger whereby Larby would have assumed looking around at many of the other early Revenger's that still happily go about their business, that this boat with a bit of TLC should have a new lease of life and especially given an early one did well in the RB a few years back I think he had a point it should have needed sorting and tidying but not what he encountered
Old 27-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #124

The problem as i see it is that boating is a very expensive hobby. Boats are expensive to buy, expensive to maintain (correctly) and expensive to run. That unfortunately makes them prohibitive to a large portion of the population.

The economics mean that some people will try to cut corners somewhere in order to balance the books. i.e. Build quality, maintenance etc. This is all fine and dandy whilst the boat is in their ownership, but unfair when someone further down the line cops for a piece of shit due to the buyers ignorance, lack of survey or more often, desire to obtain "Their dream Boat" at an affordable price. (Yes, "Caveat emptor" and all that, but why is it in the Marine Industry more than most industries that some private owners (not dealers) seem to think its "OK" to sell someone something that could kill them and or their family).

The upshot of this is that a Marine Survey is very important. It never ceases to amaze me how many boats are put up for sale at the "Going Rate" that require thousands spending on them before they should ever take to the sea!

However, i have had many boats Surveyed over the years and most of them have turned out to be utter garbage. Yes, I have spent a considerable sum employing Surveyors but I know i have saved considerably more by not buying a piece of crap.

In the case of Larby's Revenger, I would guess that the boat was built to a very tight budget by a young and inexperienced man with a very strong drive and determination to go Powerboat Racing.

This he has successfully done and the Revenger has now since changed hands until it has fortunately found itself in Larby's capable hands.

I assume that the boat was purchased at a reasonable price, reflecting its condition and very much hope to see Larby restore it to a safe and sound condition and go on to have many happy days out in her with his family. I am certainly looking forward to see her back on the water again.

Keep up the good work Larby.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #125

a boat is a very dificult thing to buy without ripping into someone elses hull and seeing what condition its in before handing over your hard earned...its 50% trust on what you've been told or in larbys case aint been told about its deep rooted condition...some you win and some you lose which the latter is a right piss off when it happens hope he gets this project done with help from the good guys on here and the bad guys watchin from behind the curtains who sell this sort of fvk up then just hope its never me you sell too
goodluck larby and iff you can stick with it mate
baj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #126

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Hadn't seen all this till now, had a busy day and a GPA meeting!
Some interesting opinions though which i will attempt to answer now.

Gordon - Glad to hear he's aware, it'd be great to hear from him via here, email or phone, even if just to give tips on how to rebuild it right!

Hunton69 - I paid about £8500 for her. She's a 1990 boat. Take a look at another revenger from that era and it'll look a lot better than this.
The issue isn't neglect, or how little money Pete had, it's the gashness of the original build that gets me, and the lies.
I spoke to Pete before and after buying, and even met him over last summer and he did nothing but tell me what an amazing boat it was, that it cost him 40k to build etc etc. At no point did he say 'look mate, not being funny but i built it like a bath, don't touch it!' He'd also only ever told Russ about what a great boat it was.
I'd imagine he also didn't show revenger what a state the build was in when they found out about it, checked it over and agreed it was ok.

At the end of the day, for what i paid, i expected to do a light refurb. I'm no surveyor, but I'm far from clueless and I checked over all i could of the boat without ripping out the floors and it looked fine. I hold nothing against Russell for selling it to me at all.
I'm not moaning that the boat is fooked, or saying that the world owes me something, I'm just putting it down to shit luck and getting on with the rebuild. I am however showing all the shit i take out, and I'm not scared to name and shame people who should never have worked on boats. FWIW, as far as i know, at the time Pete B was working for Trio (who apparently moulded it), or something along those lines. I'm not sure he was just a 'passionate young racer'!

Cfun hit the nail on the head. The thing that pisses me off is the whole mould theft situation. I bought it assuming that all the structures i couldn't see would be fine. The engine bay was all glassed up nicely, all looked ok on top, and anyhoo, it was a revenger... There's an old race revenger rib over here that's built like a brick outhouse, so i expected the same. Sadly, Pete failed to tell me the story about how it came about, so i was unaware.
I don't think any survey would've highlighted the issues, as there was no way of getting to these parts, and there were no signs of the delaminating, as it was happening en mass, not in little areas.

Anyhoo, as i said, I'm not wanting to moan about it. What's done is done so I'm just getting on with it and hoping that some on here can enjoy my build thread. I gather not many people would do what I do, so i may as well share the experience. I really enjoy posting about it on here, and people's positive comments really help me keep the masses of inspiration required to keep going with such a task. It'll all be worth it in the end!
Hoping to get a load done this friday and weekend!!

Thanks for all the support so far guys!

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Hoping to get a load done this friday and weekend!!

James
Looking forward to seeing the progress.

If you were not in the Channel Isles, id come along, roll my sleeves up and make some tea!
Old 28-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #128

Quote:
...It'll all be worth it in the end!...
I just hope it will not cost you so much nerves, time and money. Good luck with the rebuild.

Speaking of Revenger does anyone know if the 2-seater (25R) at the bottom was ever built:

olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #129

Quote:
I don't think any survey would've highlighted the issues, as there was no way of getting to these parts, and there were no signs of the delaminating, as it was happening en mass, not in little areas.
James
Sorry James,
But anyone who knows what they are looking at could see just from the photos you posted here early on in this thread that that Hull was "not all it could be" and I would bet a pound to a pinch of pooh pooh that looking at it first hand ,even without ultra sound and moisture meters, they could have picked up most of the other problems.
Having said that, OK you bought a lemon But all power to you for diving into it like you have and I hope that you can keep it up and finish her off.
Old 28-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #130

Maybe so, I was aware she wasn't perfect, far from it, but I didn't expect total delamination or junk for structures. I put most of the stress down to a light layup. Would've been great to have a survey, but it would've doubled the cost of my travel. I've only been in boating for a few years so I don't know that much yet. I took a risk and lost, shit happens! But I learn from my mistakes and look at it as an oppertunity to learn more during the rebuild.
I've only got myself to blame for buying it!

Cheers, James

Old 28-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #131

Olli - thanks for that brochure, never seen anything like that for my hull!

Cheers, James

Old 28-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #132

Interests: Boating/4x4s/Fast Cars
Boat name: Namotu
Boat make: Extreme 24
Engines: 383 Mag Stroker
Cruising area: Channel Isles

Just out of interest James, how did the insurance work out for it? When I insured my Ring I with Rossborough they insisted that it had a survey carried out first...

Is that just a Rossborough thing? Was quite a costly extra!
Old 28-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #133

Insured through my marine trader policy. As its a small, and relatively cheap raceboat, they didn't want a survey, never have done. Same with my previous boats.

Cheers, James

Old 28-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #134
JORDANIEL

Interests: BOATS,MOTORCROSS,JET SKIS AND BEER LOTS OF BEER
Boat name: SIDEWINDER
Boat make: PHANTOM 20
Engines: XR2 MERCURY
Cruising area: BARMOUTH

Hi James keep you chin up and push on I'm sure when you have completed her she will be a fantastic boat and just what you wanted

the trouble is there are ***holes out there who make good money from ripping people off they know what is wrong but don't give a fook for anyone but them self's

I see it all the time with cars mainly young drivers who have just passed there test and buy there pride and joy then find out it's a pile of pooh

anyway thats my moan over good luck and keep

Ray
Old 28-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #135

Interests: boats/quads/shooting/horses
Boat make: revenger 25sc/extreme/cougar 21/mirror dinghy
Engines: mercruiser magnum/honda 150/red sails
Cruising area: solent / uk coast -poole mainly

When I said about the online workshop manual I didn't think it would be so in depth !
Good luck with the build James do you want another one to do when you've finished ??
Old 28-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edge View Post
When I said about the online workshop manual I didn't think it would be so in depth !
Good luck with the build James do you want another one to do when you've finished ??
Not if it's Pete Berrow's best mate John Burden's one!

I dont think Larby could stand the humiliation of having his pants pulled down again.
Old 28-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #137

Interests: Powerboat racing
Boat name: Vodkatini,Cap Camarat,Easy RiderSuper Rider & Hirrondelle
Boat make: Phantom 21,Jeaneau 925 Avenger19.Lorne Campbell Slipstream Tremlett 21.Tigershark 21
Engines: Volvo 5 litre,Merc 115 Tower,Twin 250 Suzukis and 145 Mercruiser LX
Cruising area: Channel Islands and French coast

I dont think that Lite Relief is a lemon.
I have been out on this boat briefly and seen it flying around for pleasure.
It is a pedigree albeit fitted out originally as a bare hull.
Lasting 20 years seems to be testament to the build.
20 years of punishment racing and being pushed to and beyond the limit.
Was £8500 too much ?
It seemeed to have a good engine and drive with a good trailer.
So what you have is a project Larby that needs more work then you anticipated.
I know all the hard work will be worth it when you put her back in the water
Big Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edge View Post
Ha ha, don't tempt me! What's up with yours? I never noticed you had one... Would be interested to see some pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dutch View Post
I have been out on this boat briefly
It is a pedigree albeit fitted out originally as a bare hull.
Lasting 20 years seems to be testament to the build.
Was £8500 too much ?
It seemeed to have a good engine and drive with a good trailer.
So what you have is a project Larby that needs more work then you anticipated.
I know all the hard work will be worth it when you put her back in the water
When did you go out on it??
It isn't a pedigree, it was built illegally without revenger's permission, they then came to an agreement with Pete when they found out.
Never said £8500 was too much, I'm happy enough with what I paid, it's a lot for an engine (which turned out to have water in the bores), a drive and a trailer though eh!
A project is exactly what I got, albeit more than I expected. Seems everyone thinks I'm moaning about that lately though, not sure why!!
Damn right it'll be worth it when it's done!

James

Old 28-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #139

Interests: Powerboat racing
Boat name: Vodkatini,Cap Camarat,Easy RiderSuper Rider & Hirrondelle
Boat make: Phantom 21,Jeaneau 925 Avenger19.Lorne Campbell Slipstream Tremlett 21.Tigershark 21
Engines: Volvo 5 litre,Merc 115 Tower,Twin 250 Suzukis and 145 Mercruiser LX
Cruising area: Channel Islands and French coast

Last year Larby you took us into Herm-briefly.It floated then.

I hope you didnt cause all that damage by trying to keep up with me in the rough on that poker run or had the oil cooler bouncing around in the Bilge

I heard that after money was paid to Revenger it was O.K by them
What is illegal here?
Big Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #140

Interests: sailing ribing
Boat name: llyn raider
Boat make: 7m xs rib
Engines: 200 merc opti
Cruising area: n wales

Quote:
Ha ha, don't tempt me! What's up with yours? I never noticed you had one... Would be interested to see some pics

When did you go out on it??
It isn't a pedigree, it was built illegally without revenger's permission, they then came to an agreement with Pete when they found out.
Never said £8500 was too much, I'm happy enough with what I paid, it's a lot for an engine (which turned out to have water in the bores), a drive and a trailer though eh!
A project is exactly what I got, albeit more than I expected. Seems everyone thinks I'm moaning about that lately though, not sure why!!
Damn right it'll be worth it when it's done!

James
I dont think you are moaning! good on you for not taking a chainsaw to it. The build quality is apalling. 20 years old or not simply it shouldnt have been as bad as it was. you got yourself a hell of a project for £8500.
and i dont think anyone would have paid £8500 for it if the issues with it were known.