Boatmad.com

Old 07-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
dyd

Boat make: 19' Boston Whaler Outrage
Engines: Yamaha 150
Cruising area: South Florida

RMYC Mid Eighties

Speaking of nostalgia, we used to be members of the Royal Motor Yacht Club (RMYC) in the eighties, I know it sounds really snooty, but it was a pretty cool place to hang out, they used to be the host for some of the offshore powerboat races there from Bournmouth to the Isle of White. Does anyone have photo's that they could post,

Thanks in advance..

dyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #2

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Raced out of there quite a few times throughout the 80’s as they ran the Cancer Research Race, the Needles Trophy (prior to Cowes Week) and several others including part of the “World’s” in 1982. It was and probably still is a great place for boaters and had a great bar and restaurant. Not too sure whether they organise races nowadays or not. Was told a story, not sure as to whether it was true or not so I am sure somebody on this site will correct me, but the RAF ran some Air Sea Rescue float planes and craft out of there during WW11 and a very enterprising Squadron Leader persuaded some girls from London to come down and help to errmm “look after” lonely RAF Officers stationed there and he ran that service throughout the war, allegedly, even though all the local Police knew about it. Just thought you guy’s would like to know that! I will ask a few chums to see if they have any pics from those days although we were all pretty busy at the time and it’s a long time ago.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
dyd

Thanks for the info, I did not know about their "past history" about WWII, but I know that there was lodging above the old club house. During the races in the eighties we towed in the 38' Scarab Satisfaction to the docks at one point. Any thing you could show would be great.

Thanks from the other side of the pond.

PS.... I still have my UK passport.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
JBP

RMYC are still very active in races and will be hosting the Cancer research race this weekend as it is a well established annual event.

They run 3 race events a year now, Brass Monkey in Feb, Cancer research in June and a full national round in Aug/Sept so prety active.

The club house has just undergone a major re-fit and provides some of the best facilities in the area, not to mention being the closest club to the harbour entrance.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #5

The Cancer Research Race was a favourite of mine. Anyone who had a boat they thought was the bogs b.....ks could go out there and have a go. Great idea and I am really pleased to hear that it is still going strong. I came first overall in 1986 in the attached pic after a hard fight with Colin Stewart in his Revenger "Disprin The Fast One". Although hard on his tail I was going to lose until he lost all his steering hydraulics a mile from the finish line! That boat could really motor and he was a very good driver. You can see the Bournemouth beach in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	commanche 1986.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	8775  
Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #6
dyd

That's the one "Cancer Research" race. I was there for the 1984-1985 races. Wow, did everything seem larger than life back then.

Please to hear you were part of the events, and actually won.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally posted by OldMan
a hard fight with Colin Stewart in his Revenger "Disprin The Fast One". That boat could really motor and he was a very good driver.
Who knows the story about 'Disprin' turning up in a landfill site some time 'after' an insurance claim went through for it's theft?

And, can anyone confirm who got 'done' for it, and whether or not they did time for it?

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
Who knows the story about 'Disprin' turning up in a landfill site some time 'after' an insurance claim went through for it's theft?

And, can anyone confirm who got done for it, and whether or not they did time for it?
Obviously I knew Colin very well and he was quite traumatised by that whole situation and the subsequent fall out. I believe the hull was shot, don't forget that he came fourth or was it fifth overall in the 1984 Round Britain Race which wasn't at all bad for a 25ft Revenger and it had also done three seasons racing so it had done some hard work. if I remember correctly Colin allegedly said to someone after a race, when he was perhaps a little the worse for wear with a large gin and tonic, that it would be great if his boat would just disappear! I can't remember who it was but another friend took him at his word and did just that and arranged for it to disappear into the infamous tip thinking they were doing him a favour or so the story goes. I think the most criminal thing of all was that they buried a perfectly good 400hp Merc engine and drive leg as well. I don't think anyone was prosecuted for it as the Police also found several other large objects in the pit such as cars etc and if my memory serves me correctly a small plane so there was obviously something quite big going on. Can anyone back me up with that story or have any other angles on it? It was all a long time ago now, 1987 I think. I'm sure Colin wouldn't mind me telling that story, I hope not anyway.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
numbskull

The version I heard, was that the boat was found 'bare'. No engine or rigging at all. Just sat on it's trailer, under all the rubbish.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 09-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #10

The problem with growing old is that the memory doesn't work so well but I am sure Colin said that the boat had gone engine trailer and all. Maybe whoever "did" the job wasn't quite so stupid after all and took the engine and drive leg out for a quick sale elsewhere as recompense for a good dead. Now that could be another whole story on it's own. Does anyone know who actually did Colin Stewart the favour or is that asking toooo much info?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally posted by OldMan
Does anyone know who actually did Colin Stewart the favour or is that asking toooo much info?
SpringBok Mick?
verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by verytricky
SpringBok Mick?
Can you enlarge on that maybe?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #13

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

The version that I heard was that the boat was found minus engine and drive that had already been stripped. As you say there was also a lot of other kit in there including the light aircraft and numerous cars. Not sure if anyone was done for it in the end.
Reminded me of when I worked for Cougar in the early 80's and one enterprising rigger decided that he could smuggle out a big block motor in pieces in his bag each evening that had been lying around the workshop for about six months. All went well and he even borrowed the company P100 pickup truck to take the block home one Saturday. He really blew it however when he rebuilt the motor and decided to sell the engine to John Davey who brought it quite happily and then complained to Cougar that it had blown !
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #14
PJC

Interests: beer and boats
Boat make: Cougar
Cruising area: The Solent

Quote:
Originally posted by pennpromo
The version that I heard was that the boat was found minus engine and drive that had already been stripped. As you say there was also a lot of other kit in there including the light aircraft and numerous cars. Not sure if anyone was done for it in the end.
Reminded me of when I worked for Cougar in the early 80's and one enterprising rigger decided that he could smuggle out a big block motor in pieces in his bag each evening that had been lying around the workshop for about six months. All went well and he even borrowed the company P100 pickup truck to take the block home one Saturday. He really blew it however when he rebuilt the motor and decided to sell the engine to John Davey who brought it quite happily and then complained to Cougar that it had blown !

It was actually two engines that had had come out of a Cougar US-1 38 that I took in PX on a new Cougar US-1 41, they where very distinctive engines as they had red anodised pulleys, rocker covers and fittings, I noticed that they had disappeared from the workshop and we finally found out that they had be acquired for Mr Davey, took fecking ages to get them both back, I think he asked us to pay for the cost of the rebuild work he had done! It cost the guy who took the parts his job.
PJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #15
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by PJC
they where very distinctive engines as they had red anodised pulleys,
I've a feeling I ended up with those red pulleys!

I think they somehow got into TD's hands in a job-lot purchase from Henry Hector (around the time he bought the garden cat) and being ali, they lent themselves to being machined/adapted to fit my experimental V8 diesel fitted to Maelstrom.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #16

Just great stories, Talking about John Davey, I think the worst decision ever made in UK offshore racing was when he, after two hundred miles of hard racing, won the Cowes Torquay Cowes in was it 1991? in his Cougar Cat, the 1st time for many years that an Englishman had won it and then the decision was reversed when Buzzi was given 1st on time elapsed even though he came home miles behind Davey. That was a bad decision and not worthy of the CTC. 1st boat home should always be the winner.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
numbskull

Buzzi talks in his book 'Planning to Win', about that, it was Dag Pike's idea to get the extra 15 mins for re-fuelling, lulling the leaders into thinking they were leading, so no need to push any harder, when actually, they weren't.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
Buzzi talks in his book 'Planning to Win', about that, it was Dag Pike's idea to get the extra 15 mins for re-fuelling, lulling the leaders into thinking they were leading, so no need to push any harder, when actually, they weren't.
That's too damn clever for me. But didn't Buzzi have an electrical problem just out of the Solent on that race and took about ten minutes to repair it before setting off after the pack or was that another race? Is there a video of that race somewhere to confirm which story is correct? I still believe that it should be the 1st boat home that wins especially in the CTC and that particular result was just plain not right.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #19
JBP

look what I found..... only got the one, but I'm sure there are others
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rmys1988.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	8901  

JBP is offline   Reply With Quote