Boatmad.com

Old 17-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #41

[QUOTE=timtap;171393]...Rained in for the last couple of days in Paignton next to Brixham which is by the way Devon and NOT Dorset (page 84)!!!!! QUOTE]

And what's the very next line in the book?
The defence rests, Your Honour...
But I'm glad you liked it, all the same.
Derek

Old 17-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #42

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fuller View Post
As taught by David Sewell?

Only Joking Dave.
http://www.buoyracers.com

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 02:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Another great website to join the many others cluttering up the interweb.
Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #44
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I wonder who's built that site.

If you click on photo gallery (bottom of page) you get a page full of thumbnails. and although the thumbnail isn't clickable (to view large) the actual picture is huge (in the background) this mnakes the page load very slowly, as you're loading multiple hi res images, simaltaneously. quite odd.

Also, I note that on that page, there is a pic of Cinzano, that I happen to know is a Graham Stevens shot, and in fact, it still has Grahams title (exactly the same as it has in the BM gallery, where I suspect it was snaffled from) I wonder if it's shown there with Grahams permission. I don't see a credit.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 03:11 PM   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Quote:
Not guilty - I am not too keen on CMS sites, they never seem to work too well unless you get the style sheets spot on.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #46

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder. The postcode is the same as mine, when I was at Poole Boat Park!
Old 20-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #47

I have read with interest some of the remarks directed at new website www.buoyracers.com and have come to the conclusion, by enlarge powerboat racers are the most ill-informed sportsman on the planet. Having covered the sport for over 25 years, I have heard all the moans and groans that 'why don't we get the publicity' and how come a major event like RB8 was not broadcast 'live' once a day throughout it duration. The simple fact is that the sport is regarded by the media as 'minority' and even lags behind speedway. Only a fatality or major incident makes national headlines.World of Powerboats has always supported powerboat racing but the new publisher says 'cut it back to just three pages as it generates little income'. H2O started off in a blaze of glory but, I understand is struggling. So don't knock buoyracers.com as even the most miniscule publicity for the sport should be welcomed.
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #48

Quality is always better than quantity in my book. And besides, Mike Lloyd rightly or wrongly proclaimed that the Races are for the benefit of the Racers, not the spectators! So, why would the sport need publicity?

The problem with this Sport and many others today is a lack of true sporting characters with moral fibre like the good old days.
Old 20-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #49

Who on earth is Jon Holmes, football, rugby, cricket, yachting all attract spectators and television and TV attracts sponsorship : As for Mike Lloyd's comments, he does not deny making that comment but can't think why he said it. "I'm getting old and my daily cocktail of tablets is inclined to make me talk rubbish at times". As for Jon Fuller's question on who built buoyracers.com site.....Barrett Homes and as I donated a vast photo library to Graham Stevens, I'm sure he does not mind me using the odd photo of his as Graham is one of the many true supporters of the sport.
Geriatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #50

Interests: Powerboat racing & Rallying

Ah yes 'the good old days' when powerboat racing was run like an 'old boys club' and when everyone had 'measurement certificates' just two of your pet hates it seems.

Mr Holmes have you actually read Chasing The Horizon? A book that is full of true sporting characters with more moral fibre then most people have for breakfast.

If you have read the book then you would have also seen that each time the author, Derek Wynans, jumped into a taxi at various RB08 venues, the taxi drivers all complained about the lack of race publicity.

Its people like you who actually scare me, if a potential race sponsor read your post they would think twice about parting if their money.

Your attitude just shows how little you know about what's happening in powerboat racing today.
Chris Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #51

Cinzano Photo

Quite right Jon,it is my snap,and as you rightly point out, another website using my stuff.On this occasion as Dave points out, he has kindly thrown some pics my way to add to my historic library for which I am most grateful.
I don`t mind the pics being used by devotees of the sport,but I draw the line at websites using them with no reference to myself,and there are instances of this, both pics and the films and the culprits reading this know who they are.Boatmad will surpass these websites in it`s material content and quality,so that itself will define the No1 archive for powerboat racing.
,and while on this subject how about Gordon McMath adding his pics for us to enjoy.Don`t leave them gathering dust,if scannings a problem chuck em my way,they are too good to leave in the attic.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #52

Footnote to post 51

If anyone wonders why you can`t download the films anymore,it`s because when they were first put on the site,we never imagined anyone would be daft enough to use them on another site without reference to Boatmad,but obviously they were daft enough to do just that.So now to stop clones of the Boatmad library appearing they can`t be downloaded,which is a shame for the devotees.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #53

Geriatric:- And your point is? Oh, you haven't heard of me, therefor i am noone?

Chris Davies:- And your point is? No i have not read "Chasing the Horizon", nor have i commented on it one way or the other. If i scare you, i appologise and if i appear to know little about what is happening in powerboat racing these days, it can only be down to poor journalism.

If either of you have further comments to make please pm me as i dont want to ruin this thread.
Old 20-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #54

Boat make: 9m RIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Daisy View Post
You lucky bugger, the French postal system might enable me to read my own copy in about a weeks time. Sitting at home with 2 cracked ribs and nothing to read and I wasn't anywhere near a boat at the time!! Extreme dog walking for you!!
Miss Daisy,

I work in Antibes, as my office is there. I travel over every other week, I can always bring a copy over for you if you wish, as i know the french postal system is useless...

Regards

Tom
TomLinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #55

Boat name: Miss Daisy/Quailo III
Boat make: Fairey Spearfish/Nicholson 55
Engines: Cummins QSB5.9-480

Hi Tom
That's very kind but it has in fact now arrived. An excellent read I heartily recommend it, I hope you're getting a copy!!
All the best
Jonathan
Old 20-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #56

Mr Holmes, my point is before you make any more rash statements about modern day powerboat racing do us and your good self a favour, go to the Amazon website, spend £9.99 on Chasing The Horizon, sit back and enjoy some decent journalism, you might even learn something.
Old 20-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davies View Post
you might even learn something.
Now who's making rash statements?
Old 20-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #58

Mr Holmes,

Please accept my apology for making that rather rash statement.

I guess some people will never learn.
Old 20-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #59

You know what Chris, all this Jolly Banter has got me thinking. . . . . . .

And a question springs to mind!

How is it that an Internet Forum like Boatmad.com is the best and most informative website on the net in respect of all forms of UK powerboating???

(and that includes rib's too ).
Old 20-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #60
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Holmes View Post
(and that includes rib's too ).

YOU"RE BANNED!

Go and wash your mouth out with soap.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote