Boatmad.com

Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #41
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Yes Jono, I agree.

But I'm refering to the std Arneson arangement for trim, steer, multiple drives, which is monsterous, especially on the big-uns like the ASD 8's and up (think these are 12's)s

The set up is very well proven on ultra fast, and ultra large (and both) craft alike.

this is why i'm rather confused (as John G points out, also mis-informed)

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #42

Arneson ASD 12 schematic.
http://www.mattyorke.co.uk/upload/AS...%201017592.pdf

Looking for some photos on the arneson site - but it's down at the moment.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:30 AM   #43
Chief C*nt!

Interests: Boats
Boat make: Other people's mostly

So as far as I can tell from this discussion, there was a mechanical failure of a drive componenet but no actual evidence of any collision?

Doesn't anyone here know someone who was actually involved? If so perhaps you could suggest that they give us the straight facts to avoid the endless surmise and rumours?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #44
numbskull

like I said, 'riddles'!

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 PM   #45

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
So instead of coming on like burty big bollocks
Whats all that about then dude aint even commented on this post
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #46
Jon

Interests: Being Rude.
Cruising area: Kings Road

why does someone keep removing my posts??????
Old 12-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #47
Taz

Interests: Boating/Squash
Cruising area: Essex Marina/crouch southeast coast

Quote:
Originally posted by Burty
He Was Talking Bout You Not To You Rude Boy!
Old 12-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #48

so why don't "someone" e-mail tc@workingwater.co.uk and find out what really happened ????

i'm sure they would reply after reading this thread and be happy to explain ( in boaty terms ) what went wrong.
Foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #49
Gav

Send a message via Skype™ to Gav
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon

what post??
Gav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 PM   #50

Send a message via AIM to Burty
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
thought you had left and re joined?
Burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #51

Sorry dude, didn't mean you, just meant the phrase.

Quote:
Originally posted by Burty
Old 13-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #52

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

i think you had all better listen to john g considering he was on the boat .
Old 13-07-2005, 03:03 PM   #53

If that's true, I'd have to refer to Jon's post:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
If you knew the tie bar had failed, why didn't you just post saying this?

It all seems to be talking in fkkn riddles here at the moment!
Old 13-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #54

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

its very true, have a look on the link thats on page 1 and scroll down to crew, looks like our john g is very talented .
Old 14-07-2005, 08:52 AM   #55
numbskull

Quote:
Originally posted by roofer
looks like our john g is very talented .
Maybe, but certainly not in the art of being economical with the truth!

We knew virtualy from the outset about his involvement, and gave him many opportunities to 'come clean' with the members here, but for reasons I can't quite understand, he carried on talking in riddles! (hence, my comment)

If you read through the thread again, with the knowledge that we knew his connection, you'll see how many times he was given the chance to explain all. Instead, he just dug himself deeper in, each time making it harder to straighten things out!.....why?...I've no idea!

So maybe not that talented! More of a legend in his own trousers, but then he is only 11.

He also contacted me via PM to point out where I was going wrong with running this forum, and offered a few suggestions as to how I should deal with this thread, and improve my moderating skills.

Old 14-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #56
Large member

Interests: Official smartass
Boat name: Seahorse.org
Boat make: a V24 and a SLOW unstable ICE Bladerunner
Engines: 2x300 promax, 320 Volvo
Cruising area: England/France & Med

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
....and offered a few suggestions as to how I should deal with this thread, and improve my moderating skills.
Well then he is right in some respects then

verytricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 11:39 AM   #57

Jon & everyone,

I didn’t initially come forward declaring exactly my involvement in this project as I interested to see for once from an inside perspective how the inevitable rumour mill and speculation would evolve!

Apart from a strange comment from v.tricky it all seemed quite quiet. In fact Mr.Fuller made some very good comments defending the dedication of a team in the face of adversity.

Contrary to the immediate assumption that the team website was attempting to pull the wool over peoples’ eyes regarding our reason for abandoning the attempt, it was always our intention to post a full report to explain in detail what happened. The only reason this hasn’t happened yet, is because the boat only arrived back in Southampton yesterday and we need a chance to take photos now she is out of the water. Never the less I answered some immediate questions as to the basic cause and would perhaps have gone into more detail. However after the negative and doubting response to the explanation I gave I could not see the point (and honestly couldn’t be bothered) in expanding until we had some photo’s to illustrate and indeed back up the story/truth!

Why is there an insistence amongst some that a conspiracy was underway to conceal the truth? Especially so when they apparently already knew that the answers were coming straight from the ‘horses mouth’? An immediate assertion that the problem was certainly down to a builder/designer/user error was also a little disappointing. There are not many boats – light weight and high speed especially – that are designed TO hit floating objects! Is this a British trait; always quick and willing to shoot down our sportsmen as soon as they trip? Come on guys, this was a British team in a British designed boat attempting to regain a British record from an Italian and an Austrian – a little faith and support wouldn’t go amiss. Anyway, whatever the reason for the pessimism, hopefully questions will be answered when a full incident report appears on the team website.

As for my PM to Mr.Fuller, it went like this;

“Truce”

Jon

Why don't you remove yr last post too then it all ends neutrally. (And the note about the edititing in my post - but keep the edit).

I was only referencing a previous two sided debate which you chose to leave up on your sight.

I really don't want to bother with the personal stuff on here and would rather be more careful to steer clear of it in the future.

At the same time perhaps you shouldn't edit things in favour of individuals as you should be a neutral moderator.

As I said it’s none of our business so lets end it with no hard feelings.

Cheers, John

I PM’d Mr.F in an attempt to bring to a conclusion something which had gotten a little out of hand – due mostly to my own mistakes. I bear no hard feelings towards Mr.Fuller and apologise if I have offended him. I wish to commend him on his excellent website which has a unique and useful presence on the UK web. Should we ever bump into each other at an event or wherever I would very much like to buy him a beer or two and rectify any grievances.

As regard to my age! Perhaps it is my youthfulness which has contributed to this situation and I am sure that I will learn from this – however I was rather surprised to learn that I am only 11!
John G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #58

In a final attempt to put an end to a disagreement with Very Tricky;

Yes I took exception to a comment he made regarding the record attempt. My interpretation of this was partly influenced by his previous comments regarding Bladerunners, and also in a small part the fact I and been up for the last 44 odd hours (the trip back from Scotland by train was far longer than the one up there by boat!).

Very Tricky, I do not work for Ice Marine. I do know the guys there well and have therefore been totally shocked by your various comments concerning their boat, and customer service. In an industry that unfortunately (like most I guess) has it’s fair share of dubious companies Ice Marine stand out as one of the ‘good guys’. Apart from being genuinely nice guys, always willing to offer free advice, they have also been brave enough to develop a truly original and daring British design. They are quite rightly proud of this and already have several repeat customers on their second Bladerunner. Having had the opportunity to drive a ’34 myself, I was astounded by it’s handling capabilities. It’s inherent stability actually causes you to become slightly lazy at the wheel as there is virtually no chance of hooking and very little chance of kiting or stuffing. As far as the top speeds of their vessels it sounded like yours was experiencing engine problems. If it is not the engines themselves then I hope Lorne Campbell’s recently posted suggestions may have helped you to improve things. I am absolutely certain that the guys at Ice would willingly offer advice on engine set up etc over the phone at no cost and as Phantom Evolution said they really are the best guys to ask.

I do not wish to say anymore on the subject on this forum and despite your disappointing PM to me I look forward to meeting you when I show my face in public. In fact should we meet I would like to offer my help to you if you have any technical boating queries which I may be able to assist you with.

Regards, John Guille
Old 14-07-2005, 12:09 PM   #59
numbskull

John,

I don't think any of the initial comments were negative, or pessimistic, mine certainly weren't intended to be, all this aggro stems from your rather half hearted attempt at 'under cover' forum membership/Private investigator, and to be honest, a rather brash and 'superior' initial stance (Burty big bollocks, in 'forum speak').

Remember, no one likes to feel they're being taken for a fool! (even if they are a fool )

On a personal note, I certainly wish ICE Marine and their team well with any future Record attempts/projects.

I also trust there won't be any 'wool pulling' when the final post-mortem is conducted/published, as the old 'we hit something' is a rather well used excuse, and I, and I suspect most others, would give far more respect to an honest approach if there were a more simple reason for the failure, allbeit less glamorous or dramatic.

Regards,

Jon Fuller

PS. Say Hi to Lorne for me.

Old 14-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #60

Jon,

Not really private investigator - rather casually interested observer unaware you had already investigated me! Brash yes but superior was never the intention, rather more proud of the RBR team, despite not being successful, and bloody tired!

Point taken though and sincere appologies on my part to yourself and others if offence was caused.

Genuine also is the offer of a beer sometime if no grudges are held?

John