Boatmad.com

Old 10-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #1

Boat name: roofless
Boat make: phantom/talon 18's/scarab 21,Larson 254 cabrio
Engines: V8
Cruising area: wyre/morcambe bay

rules

wot are the rules regarding the clubman unlimited catermeran?

the rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #2

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Hang on, hang on... Let me get my popcorn...

Ok, I'm ready

Why don't you just go off and contact the correct officials rather than just posting on here and then disagreeing with everyone?
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the rules say, if they're not happy with a certain person running a certain rig, they won't let you run. I don't think waving a printout of a 4 page argument will change that, neither will showing them that your arrow points to the right bit of your trim gauge this year.

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #3

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rat View Post
wot are the rules regarding the clubman unlimited catermeran?
Rules are on UIM web site. Or Speak to Jim Noone.

Bob
Old 11-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
Hang on, hang on... Let me get my popcorn...

Ok, I'm ready

Why don't you just go off and contact the correct officials rather than just posting on here and then disagreeing with everyone?
At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the rules say, if they're not happy with a certain person running a certain rig, they won't let you run. I don't think waving a printout of a 4 page argument will change that, neither will showing them that your arrow points to the right bit of your trim gauge this year.

James
for your information i have emailed them,does that mean i cant ask on here either?as for dissagreeing with "everyone"if you read my initial question youll understand why!all i asked for was if id be llowed to run not for people to start getting cocky twats and sticking there oars in!!seems to me theres one rule for you so called "established" boaters as if you crash you can go and do wot you like then thers one for me as im new on here
Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCRDA View Post
Rules are on UIM web site. Or Speak to Jim Noone.

Bob
cheers!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #6

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rat View Post
for your information i have emailed them,does that mean i cant ask on here either?as for dissagreeing with "everyone"if you read my initial question youll understand why!all i asked for was if id be llowed to run not for people to start getting cocky twats and sticking there oars in!!seems to me theres one rule for you so called "established" boaters as if you crash you can go and do wot you like then thers one for me as im new on here
I did read you initial question, as did everyone else, but this is a forum, so the majority of what you'll get on here is opinion. There's no need to start swearing and calling names, that's not gonna get you anywhere.
I'm definately not an 'established' boater, i'm very much at the start of what i hope is a long and successful racing career. As it happens I've yet to have an accident (touch wood!) despite some pretty crazy driving.
FWIW, i'm all for crazy ideas, and i think you're plan to put twins on the talon is fantastic, I'd love to see it. We need people like you to help keep pushing the scene. I'm currently doing all i can to support a friend over here who's doing much the same thing!
That said, i just think you're going the wrong way about this a bit. As i originally mentioned, personally i'd just get up there and prove i can handle the boat with one engine this year, to show i knew what i was doing and last year was just a mistake, sod what speed i got. Take the oppertunity to find all the info you need for next year. Then go back and blow everyone away! I know you won't do that though.
As for posting on here, yeah, go for it! Hell, I'm forever asking questions! I do tend to try not to swear at the people who answer them though. At the end of the day this is a public forum so everyone is entitled to their opinion within reason.

Seriously though, good luck with the Talon. It's good to see people pushing the boundaries, I hope she goes really well, and i hope you stay safe in her!

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #7

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

Mark if you want to run at Coniston why don't you do a couple of races at Barrow in your Phantom ? Richard Solomon the officer of the day is also ood at records week, if you prove you can drive they'll probably let you run at Coniston for a Clubman record.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #8

Boat make: Phantom 18
Engines: Rude 150HO
Cruising area: Windermere/ Barrow

Coniston/Barrow

Mark. Hows your eye after last year? I remember you had problems with it for a while after the crash.

I tried to tell you when you first started the other thread. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to run your boat at records week.

Main reasons. What you did to yourself last year. You were in a pretty bad way. Not sure if your memory was retained. Mine wasn't when i crashed a car once. The fact the yur boat is capable of 100mph and doesn't have a safety cell counts very highly against you.
Yes i know Pete Smith did it last year but he's been around racing for a good few years and we know what to expect from him. I am in contact regulary with Jim Noone and he is of the opinion that you should probably not be allowed to run. As you can imagine, as a club WMBRC have to have insurance and risk assessments etc galore to run the week and to let you run would be an unnecessary risk on our behalf.

Please do go to the RYA and the records week officials as you have done and find out exactly whether you will be allowed to buy an event license/ be able to enter the boat.

Unfortunately you will not be able to run a twin rig talon in a club race at Barrow as Roofer suggests. We don't allow twin rigs. I'm on the race committe so i can absolutely guarantee that.
Come and race the Phantom by all means though.

As said previously you are not making many friends by being so balshy on this forum. This boating scene relies on everyone getting aloong as there is one common goal of keeping boat racing alive in the UK which keeps getting harder.

Just one last point on your Donald Campbell debate, he did not race his boat because it didn't really comply with a class to be honest. Also it was the outright world speed record which is a bit different to what we do. Also he set that record in 1964. Records week started in 1970. There are lots of Donald Campbell books for sale in most good book stores.

Hope you are now a bit clearer on your position.

Will
willwood6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #9

Also to answer your question. Your boat is a bit of an anomaly. It would have to fall in the unlimited catamaran class but as it is a modified v bottom it doesn't really class. The mod vp class though was a class run with safety cells so yours doesn't class for that, also it obviously doesn't class in the v hull production class either. Therefore it would be nigh on impossible for you to break a record in that boat as it will never match a Cat for outright speed, too short and wide.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwood6 View Post
Mark.

Unfortunately you will not be able to run a twin rig talon in a club race at Barrow as Roofer suggests. We don't allow twin rigs. I'm on the race committe so i can absolutely guarantee that.
Come and race the Phantom by all means though.
Will I suggested he raced the Phantom at Barrow not the Talon . I know twin rigs aren't allowed
Old 11-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #11

My apologies so you did. The lad on here with the oorange phantom was down at weekend looking to come racing too. Could be a lot of phantoms. Although i'm retiring mine at the end of the season for a while.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #12

Whats the chance of racing going back to Windermere Will .
Old 11-08-2009, 09:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Also to answer your question. Your boat is a bit of an anomaly. It would have to fall in the unlimited catamaran class but as it is a modified v bottom it doesn't really class. The mod vp class though was a class run with safety cells so yours doesn't class for that, also it obviously doesn't class in the v hull production class either. Therefore it would be nigh on impossible for you to break a record in that boat as it will never match a Cat for outright speed, too short and wide.
i could take my phantom?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #14

Boat name: fantastic
Boat make: phantom 18
Engines: mercury 2.4
Cruising area: walney

Send a message via MSN to rob m
Quote:
My apologies so you did. The lad on here with the oorange phantom was down at weekend looking to come racing too. Could be a lot of phantoms. Although i'm retiring mine at the end of the season for a while.
thats me
i am looking to start and open to any good tips ? why are you retiring your phantom will ?
Old 11-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #15

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Quote:
it will never match a Cat for outright speed, too short and wide.
Are you sure about that! There's mod VP's that run in the high 130's with single 2.5L's. I don't know of any single engine cat that runs in that bracket!
I don't know how the Talon's run but I was of the understanding that, out of comparable cats and mod vp's the mod vp will come out with a higher top end and cat smoother ride!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #16

Yes i'm sure.
Mod vp record -114mph
F2 record - 124mph
Ted Walsh last year in DAC with 2.0 litre - 144mph.
All on records week site. Mod vp's in the states tend to be running seriously tuned drag motors. Don't have cells like our race series was either.

Mark, see you out in your Phantom.

Roofer, hopefully the lawyers are getting somewhere. Looking more likely than it was but still no closer really.

New bloke, forgot your name sorry. Come down on saturday to racing again. We'll answer any questions you have. I'll show you over mine as how to pass scruitineering, few tips etc.
I'm going to keep the phantom but to save money a few of us are buying Simms Super V's and rigging with 90 yams as a cheap way to race with just as much fun.

Will
Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrostream View Post
Are you sure about that! There's mod VP's that run in the high 130's with single 2.5L's. I don't know of any single engine cat that runs in that bracket!
I don't know how the Talon's run but I was of the understanding that, out of comparable cats and mod vp's the mod vp will come out with a higher top end and cat smoother ride!
Clubman Unlimited Catamaran is currently Paul Brooks at 128.12, That 114 for MOD VP was with a 2.4 with CLE gearcase while the so called high 130 MOD VP I suspect was a radar gun reading with a very well tuned 300 drag on a 12inch leg and a SSM 4 or 6, I'd like to see it kilo properly for confirmation. Who has the cell for that Talon it must still be around somewhere maybe Phil still has it ?
Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
Ian

Quote:
a few of us are buying Simms Super V's and rigging with 90 yams as a cheap way to race with just as much fun.

Will
Will, that sounds interesting. Have you got any more details / website.

Cheers
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #19

Boat make: Hydrostream V-king, 650SS OCR ,Ring 21, Ring 18, Phantom 18.
Engines: 300Hp Mercury 2.4, 130 Yamaha, Bridgeport EFI, XR6, Merc 200.
Cruising area: Malahide, Dublin

Quote:
Yes i'm sure.
Mod vp record -114mph
F2 record - 124mph
Ted Walsh last year in DAC with 2.0 litre - 144mph.
All on records week site. Mod vp's in the states tend to be running seriously tuned drag motors. Don't have cells like our race series was either.

Will
Fair enough point taken, I seriously thought the mod vp's would be quicker, I wasn't including tunnels though!

Techteam, you coming over for Virginia in September?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hydrostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrostream View Post

Techteam, you coming over for Virginia in September?

Unfortunately probably not, were flat out with development on the dyno's at work, I just got back from Russia and need 3 weeks off for China and another 3 weeks for Qatar and the UAE and our F2 driver has other commitments.

Techteam is offline   Reply With Quote