Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #21

Interests: sport and being lazy
Boat make: ring rib
Engines: merc xr2
Cruising area: bournemouth bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao! View Post
Garmin Racings' engines.

No official launch for the boat this weekend - not ready!

needs some ...---... DIY
well at least if they are made by Garmin they will always be able to navigate themselves back home and the electrics will be good but the mechanical side could be very iffy

Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #22

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
if you want to order one
I wish but little out of my budget at the moment sadly, hopefully be down on monday to say hi.

as ciao sed, the raceboat will sadly not be ready, possibly be floating or on the cradle. either way it will still be exhibiting.

no sure on the engines, not on the website. all i know is there are 6.5 litre v-8 with inter-cooler and turbo charger instead of a super charger.

Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stone View Post
I wish but little out of my budget at the moment sadly, hopefully be down on monday to say hi.

as ciao sed, the raceboat will sadly not be ready, possibly be floating or on the cradle. either way it will still be exhibiting.

no sure on the engines, not on the website. all i know is there are 6.5 litre v-8 with inter-cooler and turbo charger instead of a super charger.
The Garmin stand looked very unsuitable to me today.

Interesting little car is the Fiat 500 that was over by the Two Scoops Shed, or was that not the "Two Scoops" that I was hoping to see?

Lot's of interesting happening today, but what on earth are the two small squre islands doing facing the Ketch Rigger is beyong me, guess one must be for the children to play in as it's a sand pit, perhaps it's also worth a mention that as children are drawn to sand, they are also drawn to water, maybe a small security fence round it would prevent any accidents.
Knit1-Purl1=Rib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Garmin Racing at the show

Boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin boat.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	15939  
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to ciao!
Garmin Racing at the show

Drives
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	garmin drives.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	15940  
ciao! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Boat

Wow, that looks really neat. I'd love to watch her in action. Was James present at the show?

So she is now ready for action and testing out on the water, how far behind schedule was/is she?

Thanks for uploading those shot's.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Drives
Flaming Nora there a bit big arn't they?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #28

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

In reply to your question Jon, if you haven't found out already, the engines are "Marine Diesel" from Sweden and the drives are German. Had a tour over it with Jeff Hunton and Iain and I have to say they are rigging it very well indeed. Everything is being kept simple, the seats are terrific, snugging the body up to the armpits and they will be padding the floor to take some of the shocks. The engines look as though someone knows what they are doing but it's the drives I was impressed with. You will be able to see from the pics that they are surface drives which is what you need with the amount of fishing nets and other rubbish they will be going over in this race and they can use Merc props!!

The only minus factor is that there is no history of these drives racing. The plus factor is that they have Jeff Hunton on board. He built the boat, has done this race before and won his class and knows how to pamper his boat round until coming down the East coast.

I think and hope they do well.
ML.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP2945.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	15947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2951.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	15949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2952.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	15950  
Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #29

After the RB event, should someone wish too, is the boat eligible for P1 or are the diesel engines larger than the limit, and how do they view surface drives or are surface drives only allowed if you can prove other production hulls you have built have them...the Sunseeker team have surface drives do they not?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfun View Post
After the RB event, should someone wish too, is the boat eligible for P1 or are the diesel engines larger than the limit, and how do they view surface drives or are surface drives only allowed if you can prove other production hulls you have built have them...the Sunseeker team have surface drives do they not?
Won't be quick enough
hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #31

Interests: photography
Cruising area: Pevensey Bay / Solent

hmm thats an interesting question.

i would presume surface drives are accepted in P1 as most of the boats have BPM or like the sunseeker the buzzi/trimax ring drive system. the msa system could be more akin to the mercury six as its closer to a sterndrive then an arneson.

As Hunton 69 sed, two scoops is being run for endurance. also be interesting on the p1 view of production as though its from the 37xrs mould, only one full lenght hull was produced.
Tom Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit1-Purl1=Rib View Post
Wow, that looks really neat. I'd love to watch her in action. Was James present at the show?

So she is now ready for action and testing out on the water, how far behind schedule was/is she?

Thanks for uploading those shot's.

Was it busy at the show? Did many turn up I heard it was a good few days
Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #33
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

The XS2000's don't use the ring drive setup. I've only seen the 36' Buzzi have a ring drive when used with the little 315 Yanmar (Toyota motor) thrown in backwards.

Sunseeker XS2000 / Buzzi SunRacer has a traditional Trimax.

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunton69 View Post
Won't be quick enough
Hi Hunton 69 hope you had a BUSY BANK HOLIDAY ON THE BOAT no time for slacking I'm looking forward to seeing these Hunton's at the CR...Yes I agree about quick enough, I would assume if set up for P1 she may achieve around the 80mph mark much the same as the boat did with it's sabre engines, although the sabres probably produced around 1200hp late 80's and as discussed in the thread about Folllet cars these engines may have been around 750-1000KG heavier than the new units, plus the surface drives may put it on a par even with maybe fewer horses 900-950HP engines, together with the reduced weight maybe around 45-5000Kg now... I would recon in order to be competitive the engines would have to be breathed on very heavily to bring them too around 500-600HP each ...or at least that's my assumption for what it's worth
Old 06-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #35
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

The show was quieter than some had hoped for, and for us it was busy one minute and not the next.

The Garmin / 2 Scoops boat was interesting and I had the tour of the factory as well. The drive and engine combination is totally unknown as a pair, so it will be very interesting to see how well it performs.

I firmly believe (I've been wrong before ) that in order to be competitive in either class you need a very good hull in terms of speed and agility - stepped hulls are are winning and a plain V will struggle. A boat needs to do 85mph in all but rough conditions that slow everyone down, and be agile enough to keep up a fair speed on the many tight turns. It also needs to perform well at 4.5 kg per HP and be a production boat and sold with the same engine and drive combination although the Donzi that was run as OSG is rumoured to be racing with 525's but keeping the surface drives that were never offered for sale?

Evolution is another thing with a 3.5kg limit and unlimited speed which I don't believe that hull could be competitive in.

If you're getting into P1 the only chance of doing it relatively cheaply is a US boat from the factory racing classes or a good Poker Run boat like a Fountain.

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 PM   #36

Smile

Quote:
The show was quieter than some had hoped for, and for us it was busy one minute and not the next.

The Garmin / 2 Scoops boat was interesting and I had the tour of the factory as well. The drive and engine combination is totally unknown as a pair, so it will be very interesting to see how well it performs.

I firmly believe (I've been wrong before ) that in order to be competitive in either class you need a very good hull in terms of speed and agility - stepped hulls are are winning and a plain V will struggle. A boat needs to do 85mph in all but rough conditions that slow everyone down, and be agile enough to keep up a fair speed on the many tight turns. It also needs to perform well at 4.5 kg per HP and be a production boat and sold with the same engine and drive combination although the Donzi that was run as OSG is rumoured to be racing with 525's but keeping the surface drives that were never offered for sale?

Evolution is another thing with a 3.5kg limit and unlimited speed which I don't believe that hull could be competitive in.

If you're getting into P1 the only chance of doing it relatively cheaply is a US boat from the factory racing classes or a good Poker Run boat like a Fountain.

Has she been out on the water yet? As I'm fairly new to this I'm probably asking strange questions, so please bear with me. Half of the terminology is completely alien to me, but I'll pick it up as I go, hopefully.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #37
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Has she been out on the water yet? As I'm fairly new to this I'm probably asking strange questions, so please bear with me. Half of the terminology is completely alien to me, but I'll pick it up as I go, hopefully.
Only one engine in it as yet, so no!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #38
/280

Interests: Motorsport

any chance of this being on topgear or on tv at all, would be good to watch
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #39

Smile

Quote:
Only one engine in it as yet, so no!

Thank you for the reply.

Is there any indication yet of when Garmin Team/Two Scoops will be having any practice runs?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

Is there any indication yet of when Garmin Team/Two Scoops will be having any practice runs?
As soon as its finished at a guess a couple of weeks. believe Jeff will run it at the cancer race 7th June

hunton69 is offline   Reply With Quote