Boatmad.com

Old 15-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

sunseeker hawk, tomahawk etc

I appreciate there is a size difference, but whats the difference in terms of hull and ride/performance between a hawk, a superhawk and a tomahawk.... Someone told me one of them was very cruisy and tended to be overdriven and break as a result....

Whats the difference between a tomahawk mk1 and mk2??? looking at sizes between 29-37ft

Thanks

glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
BananaShark Member

Interests: Winning races
Boat name: BananaShark
Boat make: BananaShark 34' Race
Engines: Twin Yanmar BY 260's

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen76 View Post
I appreciate there is a size difference, but whats the difference in terms of hull and ride/performance between a hawk, a superhawk and a tomahawk.... Someone told me one of them was very cruisy and tended to be overdriven and break as a result....

Whats the difference between a tomahawk mk1 and mk2??? looking at sizes between 29-37ft

Thanks
Tomahawk Mark II had a different transom and they changed the seating arrangements - I was thinking of going for an early one for historic Endurance racing, but was told they could be a bit fragile for racing - renewing the motors wouldn't make it worth anything like the investment either and old ones with good updated diesels are expensive!

British Champions! RIB Formula 1 2005
National Speed Record Holder at 90.15 (still)

www.bananasharkracing.com
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #3

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Tomahawk Mark II had a different transom and they changed the seating arrangements - I was thinking of going for an early one for historic Endurance racing, but was told they could be a bit fragile for racing - renewing the motors wouldn't make it worth anything like the investment either and old ones with good updated diesels are expensive!
so is it the tomahawks that delaminate in the front?? Does anyone know for sure?? Ive been assured they were built for cruising only but i always considered them a bomb proof brand!!
glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #4
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen76 View Post
so is it the tomahawks that delaminate in the front?? Does anyone know for sure?? Ive been assured they were built for cruising only but i always considered them a bomb proof brand!!
I have no idea on the specifics, but there are still quite a few around from the old days, so I reckon they're ok if you don't race them!

Old 16-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

You have to remember how the market developed.

The first deep vees were the early eighties offshore 28 and 31 followed by the mid eighties XPS34 which were designed as fast offshore cruisers with accommodation built around what was left.

This to me means that when you look around the internals of my XPS it is quite obvious that you are looking at a Don Shead design that has then had bits bolted to it to make it a cruiser. The Hawks and Portofinos are the next step on from there where things obviously start to be driven by market demands of walkthrough transoms, under sole accommodation, etc which means a compromise has been made somewhere with bulkhead positions and such.

The more you add internally for comfort then the more you have to save elsewhere to keep weight in the realms of sensibility. More room taken as accommodation then the less room for engine rooms etc.

More weight above the waterline then the higher the centre of gravity and hence a compromise on handling.

Sunseeker are about the only company that stayed true to a high performing hull form as a priority and therefore don't carry similar internal volumes and hence accommodation as their competitors.

'tis the reason that something like a Doral at the other end of the spectrum will never be a good sea boat as they are almost designed from the inside out as though someone has shown a hull designer an internal layout and then he has to wrap a hull form around it.

Fragile? Well I bet most people here with an eighties boat with over 2000 hours on it would like the lack of stress cracking that my XPS displays.
Old 16-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #6

Sunseeker Boats

For what it`s worth, one of the few people to smash a sunseeker up was good ol Richard Carr,who would take great delight in hammering a boat to death.I`ve always thought if you keep within the manufacturers recommended max hp for a particular model you should be OK,after all that`s the guidelines the boat is stressed for.If you fit larger engines outside of this then it`s got to be reappraised.When you think Sunseeker have their own team of trials skippers since way back when,if a boat was not up to the spec,they would soon have found the problems.If I was about to spend good money on a Sunseeker boat I would go and talk to the trials drivers.A good opening to do this would be to phone Sunseeker and ask for Ewen Foster (head of the design office),and he could put you on the right lines,I should know,I trained him up at Don Sheads when he first came to us in 1984.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
BananaShark Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post
For what it`s worth, one of the few people to smash a sunseeker up was good ol Richard Carr,who would take great delight in hammering a boat to death.
I knew about the Baja that got the Carr treatment - which model of Sunseeker was it that he smashed?

Old 16-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #8

Cobra and Superhawk
Marinautic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #9

Carr Demolition

So long ago I can`t recall which model he wrecked.Probably a `Shitehawk`.
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #10

Boat name: Athito
Boat make: Sunseeker Superhawk 34
Engines: 2x300hp Yanmar 6LP
Cruising area: Solent

Tomahawk Mk1 and Mk2 differences included a better electrical layout, different cockpit seating and instrument panel and slight changes to the heads.

Largely cosmetic but if you can afford the Mk2 then go for it...better.

Athito is offline   Reply With Quote