Boatmad.com

Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Cruising area: South Coast

Tower Bridge to Brighton Race 1987

Morning,

Following on from some posts about trophies, does anyone know about a race that took place back in 1987 from Tower Bridge to Brighton with an overnight stop at Ramsgate?

I understand the Britannia Trophy was awarded for this race?? the same trophy was awarded when P1 came to Brighton back in 2004 (i think).

just looking for any information on this race???

Thanks.

billy no boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

Interests: Golf & liquid lunches with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy no boat View Post
Morning,

Following on from some posts about trophies, does anyone know about a race that took place back in 1987 from Tower Bridge to Brighton with an overnight stop at Ramsgate?

I understand the Britannia Trophy was awarded for this race?? the same trophy was awarded when P1 came to Brighton back in 2004 (i think).

Thanks.
Took part in the same race in 1988 in "Flippin Eck". We didn't stop overnight at Ramsgate, it was a re-fuel job, re muster and away. We lost our steering off Dungeness and eventually got into Brighton around 7.30 that night but that's another story
ML.

Mike Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Sounds like another epic!!

Just trying to track down the history of the Britannia Trophy before we work out it we can have it available to be awarded at future events (if theres an interest of course!)

thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #4

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Morning,

Thanks.
I think there is a Sussex Motor Boat Club, & I think I'm right in saying the trophy used by P1 at Brighton was from them.
Not sure of more detailed info' though.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #5

Martin,

You are spot on with what you say. Sussex Motor Yacht Club is in a pretty quite state with around 30 members. in its heyday it was only interested in motorboats and was a great place to be with their clubhouse in brighton.

unfortunately over time and with apparent mismanagement it went downhill and bankrupt with the club on ship street being sold and many of the trophies and assets going into private hands!

There are still a number of trophies ( Britannia included) which are still in the hands of the club which currently has no fixed abode and willing to take some direction and guidance.

for the P1 event we offered the trophies which were gratefully accepted but since then, they have been placed in store never to see the light of day......

hence my thinking......

i happen to be related to the commodore of SMYC and want to see if we can remove all the political rubbish associated with clubs and get the trophies available for presentation in the future!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #6

A little snippet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BRITANNIA TROPHY.pdf (1,002.7 KB, 334 views)
FLYING FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

Many thanks FF!

your are a wealth of information as always!!

thats the trophy and i can confirm its BL**DY heavy needing 2 people to lift it!!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #8

Interests: Powerboats,Commentating, Bikes
Boat make: None at the moment
Cruising area: Wherever I can get a ride !

Quote:
Martin,

You are spot on with what you say. Sussex Motor Yacht Club is in a pretty quite state with around 30 members. in its heyday it was only interested in motorboats and was a great place to be with their clubhouse in brighton.

unfortunately over time and with apparent mismanagement it went downhill and bankrupt with the club on ship street being sold and many of the trophies and assets going into private hands!

There are still a number of trophies ( Britannia included) which are still in the hands of the club which currently has no fixed abode and willing to take some direction and guidance.

for the P1 event we offered the trophies which were gratefully accepted but since then, they have been placed in store never to see the light of day......

hence my thinking......

i happen to be related to the commodore of SMYC and want to see if we can remove all the political rubbish associated with clubs and get the trophies available for presentation in the future!
Just a suggestion, contact ORDA, who ran a Littlehampton Race again this year.
It is unlikely that they will be interested in 2011, due to RB2011 commitments, but long term, they may be interested.
Just a suggestion imho of course.
Martin The Talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #9

Martin,

As much as i would love to help organize a race my time is pretty limited at the moment and suspect i would not be able to do it any justice!

We could maybe offer the trophies to current planned races for presentation??

All came about from some comments here about lack of recognition for some of the participants this weekend....

as i say, just trying to see what could be achieved and if there is any interest for more trophies? i see the list of presentations on sunday and there seems to be a lot of awards already but maybe so maybe its a dead duck.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #10

Cruising area: southwest

Sussex Motor-boat Club

I tried to do some research into the history of Sussex Motor-boat Club a few years ago and found the records fairly 'bleak'.
My boat stuff is currently stored in a container but some snippets as I (think I) know ....

Sussex Motor-boat Club
Club formed in March 1907.
They had nearly a 100 members by May 1907.
Vice Commodore was Sir Theodore Angler.
They had their inaugural meetings at the Grand Hotel Brighton in the early days but were keenly looking for a Club House site.
The Britannia Trophy is a clone of the flat bed bronze Harmsworth Trophy and a fair bit lighter.
The trophy was later presented for the revamped UKOBA London Brighton (Daily Express and Elida Gibbs sponsored?) and again for the Brighton held UIM British Grand Prix (P1) races, in 2004 was won by Naples' Giancarlo Donzi and Hannes' double bubble Buzzi secondo.
Its an historic trophy. I have somewhere a photo of the engraved winners if there is access to the trophy could a list of previous winners be posted to aid research?
I have distant recollection that their most celebrated member (forgotten his name) ran a 1.5 litre Class boat (Duke of York Trophy class) and he was associated with and used "Green" (sic) engines that were used in some of the Thornycroft CMBs. One of his race boats was named after the first BBC Radio call sign - L O something something.
southwesthotcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #11

Think you have more information than most!!

The club went bankrupt in 1993 i believe and only survives today as at one point they offered lifetime membership as a reward to a number of club members so whilst the legal entity went, the club remained.

it was rejuvenated in around 2000 and they were sharing a site with Brighton Marina Yacht Club where some of the trophies were on display in the club house.

i think all the remaining trophies now are in secure storage after a number of break in's at the clubhouse where they were housed and given the value of some of them, they though secure storage was a better option to protect the few remaining club assets.

im not sure what can be done with the club, obviously it has a lot of history although much has been lost. as a blank canvas to start from maybe but there are plenty of clubs around that do just that so unless anyone wants to fly an undefaced blue ensign then there appears to be little benefit.

what is a shame is the few remaining trophies are locked away at a time they could be used to recognize the huge efforts that racers go to!

i will try and talk to my uncle again to get some history and if possible, past winners of the trophies but the fact remains, how, assuming we can, do we go about awarding them and to who for what!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #12

Cruising area: southwest

Sussex Motor Yacht Club

A bit more ....
In 1909 had their second Dinner and were now called SUSSEX MOTOR YACHT CLUB and had a Club HQ at Middle Street in Brighton.

southwesthotcat is offline   Reply With Quote