Boatmad.com

Old 30-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #1

Two Stroke Outboards

Dubai International Marina have just announced the complete Ban of two stroke outboards with immediate effect from within its waters.

Should see a lot of large outboards suddenly available for next to nothing this week then.

Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 09:09 AM   #2

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

A couple of quotes.
"It is estimated that one hour of operation by a 70hp two-stroke motor emits the same hydrocarbon pollutants as driving 8,000km in a modern automobile. World over, therefore, there is increased concern on the use of these engines on waterways."

"These boat owners can upgrade them to eco-friendly four-stroke engines, which are more fuel efficient and have low emission rates," adds Goddard. "Four-stroke engines are also more reliable and have low maintenance overheads."

From www.ibinews.com -n I just think you would be mad to buy a two stroke now. It would have no resale value when you go to sell it later on.

Old 30-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Right so you guys with 2.5 280 Offshore it's now totally worthless I'll give a 50 quid scrap value for yours

Jet aircraft pump out more hydrocarbons than you would beleive but they aint banning thoose, afraid it's more scare mongering from a person with a little foresight
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #4

Interests: fast boats/porches
Boat name: bernico cat
Boat make: bernico 26 cat 2x 2,5,s
Engines: merc,s 2,5 EFI,s
Cruising area: ijselmeer

A modern 2 stroke ,like an optimax or a hpdi or a E tec omc will produce less hydrocarbons than a 4 stroke.
feul is injected after the piston closes the exhaust.
so there is minimal loss of mixture.
4 strokes have valve overlap and will therefore leak mixture .
a direct injected 2 stroke is hard to beat ,they seems to burn slightly less fuel than a 4 stroke.
the 4 stroke has more friction ,cause it has to make a stroke to scavening exhaust gas,and it does,n t produce any power at that stroke.
The 2 stroke produces power at every stroke.
The 4 stroke has heavier internal parts ,for example the connecting rods and bolts.The 2 stroke has much lighter rods and rod bolts because of the piston has resistance at every stroke (compression)
The 4 stroke has to move exhaust gas ,and has no compression at that stroke so there fore the rods and bolts has an tremendoes force to withstand .
That is why the bolts look so tiny in compare to a 4 stroke.

I love 4 strokes too,but the modern 2 stroke isn,t that bad.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #5

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

I accept the argument that some two strokes are cleaner than current four strokes, the problem is that just like the road 4 x4 wars the same politically correct crew will batter the two stroke. My 4x4 gets flyered (whilst packed in the street!) as a Gas guzzling vehicle and Red Ken is going to make me pay £25 per day to take it into London, despite the fact it only has a 1.8L engine I still pay more road tax than a Lotus ellise or MG which have the same engine! The actual facts about pollution and two strokes wont matter in the eyes of the greens they think all two strokes are bad and they will the treat them as such, I am afraid the argument for them has already been lost.
Old 30-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #6

Interests: Big Dinners
Boat name: Never Enough
Boat make: Seaquel 600xs
Engines: 225hp Merc ProMax
Cruising area: Anywhere! I prefer Weymouth

Send a message via AIM to MrRob
Quote:
Originally posted by Silversurfer
I accept the argument that some two strokes are cleaner than current four strokes, the problem is that just like the road 4 x4 wars the same politically correct crew will batter the two stroke. My 4x4 gets flyered (whilst packed in the street!) as a Gas guzzling vehicle and Red Ken is going to make me pay £25 per day to take it into London, despite the fact it only has a 1.8L engine I still pay more road tax than a Lotus ellise or MG which have the same engine! The actual facts about pollution and two strokes wont matter in the eyes of the greens they think all two strokes are bad and they will the treat them as such, I am afraid the argument for them has already been lost.
I had the same problem when I had my Jeep. Although it did have a 4.0ltr petrol that did drink the juice! I was forever getting ear 'ole from sweaty tree huggers about driving a 4X4 and I always used to say why dont you target sports cars? There are plenty of sprorts cars out there that use as much and more fuel than 4X4's.
Old 30-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #7

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

I'd like to know who will police it if they ban 2 strokes over here. I wouldn't like to be the poor sod on the slipway trying to stop them launching.
roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #8

I would imagine Joe Goddard values is job at Dubai Marina.

Lets be clear here. Two stroke outboards have only been banned from Dubai Marina.

The way things work out here, someone either dissaproves of two-stroke outboards or, as is more usually the case has a vested interest in removing them.

Believe me, its not an environmental issue cos everyone drives dirty great v8's and the black shit that comes out of the thousands of diesel powered construction lorries and plant here has to be seen to be believed.

Health and Safety is not high on the list here, and if it is, then no-one has the ability to implement it.

Now, where did i park my Mustang GT?
Old 30-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #9

Joe Goddard

Does this guy look like a sporty hardboater?
Attached Images

Old 30-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
Traveling

Boat name: T/T D2S
Boat make: Midas 27' Cat, Argo 16 Cat. Avon Rib Thingy
Engines: Merc 280-ROS -JSRE,65Xs, 75 Stinger, Yam 60
Cruising area: Any Seedy Bar

Next time you get stickered take a Vidieo on ya car phone ect then have em for criminal damage, or hit em with the 4x4 both work for me
BluFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #11

Interests: Sailing and going slowly.
Boat make: loser pussycat
Engines: V8
Cruising area: Used to be Windermere!

When working out "emissions" no one ever mentions the lubricating oil that you have to chuck if you have a four stroke either.

wasonlydoing10knts! is offline   Reply With Quote