Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

Very Sad

Ken Norris, designer for Donald Campbell died on 1st October

http://www.acrossthelake.com/

Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 AM   #2

Interests: Rum. Pirates. And West Cornwall pasties.
Boat name: Any suggestions?
Boat make: Ring 18
Engines: Mercury 200 Black Max
Cruising area: The Bay of 'E'

That's a shame. He certainly was a clever old boy, as evidenced in the brief biog. on the Campbell website. First Leo and now Ken. Still, at least they rescued Donald and gave him a proper funeral.
You won't be forgotten, guys.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #3

Interests: Boats, Cars.
Boat name: Splash 4
Boat make: Hunton
Engines: Mercruiser 640
Cruising area: Poole, Solent

I am lucky enough to have known Ken quite well as his son John is a chum of mine. You couldn't have wished to meet a nicer guy. He always had time for everyone and was only too happy to answer what were, to him, probably dumb questions about speed on water. He was still commited to helping with Quicksilver and lived for record breaking. It was a shame that for the past year or two ill health burdened him. The family had a quiet service on Thursday and there is to be a memorial celebration of his achievements at the National Motor Museum in November.
Pennpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:55 AM   #4
numbskull

Interests: none

Quote:
Originally posted by pennpromo
there is to be a memorial celebration of his achievements at the National Motor Museum in November.
Any idea when exactly? would be an interesting day if I could make it.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Fuller
Jon, unfortunately it is going to be invite only as far as I know. Typicaly I won't be able to make it as I am presenting a paper at METS in Amsterdam on that day.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
numbskull

Interests: none

Quote:
Originally posted by pennpromo
Typicaly I won't be able to make it as I am presenting a paper at METS in Amsterdam on that day.
The Sun, or Daily Sport?
Old 10-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
The Sun, or Daily Sport?
Cheeky f**ker. Actually its "The role of the subcontractor in the superyacht industry"
Reallyy exciting stuff !
Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #8

Anyway, back to the topic in hand, Ken Norris will be missed.
IMHO he was the expertise behind most of the WR attempts on land & water over a tremendous number of years - all the way back to campbell, and most recently on thrust SSC and and Quicksilver WSR boat.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 08:32 PM   #9

Interests: boats , laughing and music
Boat name: Dyna Mo Humm
Boat make: Avon Searider 8.4mmmm
Engines: Cat 4216 450hp
Cruising area: Solent

what an Ego

Quote:
I suspect it will still be an interesting day even if you don't make it

Old 17-10-2005, 09:01 PM   #10

Interests: SPEED BOATS,MOTO G.P
Boat name: MOTIVATION
Boat make: MARSHAN 21
Engines: AINT GOT ONE!!
Cruising area: sea

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelcaine
michaelcaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Ciao
Bluebird's return

BBC 1 (North East) (SKY Channel 945) if you live elsewhere Tonight 31/10/05 19.30

The Bluebird is one of the iconic images of the age of speed.

Following its recovery from Coniston Water in the Lake District in 2001 Donald Campbell's daughter is now prepared to put the car back at the bottom of the lake.

Now Bluebird is back from the depths of Coniston Water, a battle is raging about how she should be displayed.

Gina Campbell, head of the Campbell Trust, wants to rebuild Bluebird using Heritage Lottery Fund monies.

Her vision is the restoration of the boat to its former glory - including making Bluebird able to speed through the waters once again.

Gina says, "I want her restored to her beautiful magnificent self. I want her shiny and bright and the engineering perfect.

"I want young people from all over the world to view her in Coniston… and I will not settle for less."

However, the Heritage Lottery Fund don't agree - they would prefer to stabilise and conserve the boat in a museum, without rebuilding its engine and working parts in full.

The Lottery agree that the wreck should not go on display, but think a full rebuild will lose part of Bluebird's history. It wants a mixture of new and old parts of the boat to tell its story.

But Gina argues that full restoration of the boat into a working machine will inspire a new generation of racers and engineers to take part in breaking new speed records.

Inside Out investigates the battle to restore the Bluebird.

Restoration or renovation?

The Heritage Lottery believe that the key aspect of Bluebird is not just the speed records she broke.

Its view is that the crash needs to be represented in the story in any display of Bluebird.

It thinks that too much significant new material would change the nature of Bluebird and that this is not the one people want to see and experience..

The Lottery rejected a £2 million bid to restore and house Bluebird in Coniston for this reason earlier in 2005.

The Ruskin Museum in Coniston is where Bluebird would be displayed, and it has applied for Lottery funding.

The museum hopes to submit another bid to the Lottery in December.

If successful an extension would be built to house the boat, but the debate about the future of the boat rages on.

"I can have her encased in concrete and have her put back in the lake from whence she came - or we can put her on e Bay and sell her to the highest bidder. I don't want to go down that route, but I don't know the next one. I'm deadly serious."
Gina Campbell

Speed king

Donald Malcolm Campbell broke many speed records. Born in Horley, Surrey in 1921, he had speed and racing in his blood.

Following the illustrious career of his father, speed king Sir Malcolm Campbell, he set out to smash speed records on land and water.

Campbell began his speed record attempts using his father's old boat Bluebird K4.

However, a 156 mph crash destroyed the K4 in 1951. Undeterred, Campbell developed a new boat - the Bluebird K7, a jet-propelled hydroplane type with a Metropolitan-Vickers Beryl jet engine.

Between 1955 and 1964 Campbell set seven world water-speed records. The first was at Lake Ullswater on July 23, 1955, where he set a record of 203 mph.

After a series of record breaking attempts, he reached 276.33 mph in December 31, 1964 at Dumbleyung Lake in Australia.

Following a crash at Bonneville in the United States with the Bluebird CN7 car in 1960 on land, he went on to set a record of 403.10 mph for jet propelled four-wheeled vehicles at Lake Eyre in Australia in 1964.

He also became the first person to set both water and land records in the same year.

Between them, Donald and his father set eleven speed records on water and ten on land.

On January 4, 1967, Campbell was killed when the Bluebird K7 flipped over and disintegrated at a speed of more than 300 mph on Coniston Water.

The cause of the crash has always been a cause for speculation. Some point to Campbell not waiting to refuel after doing a first run of 297 mph, and the boat being lighter.

Others blame the waves caused by his wash or a cut-out of the jet engine.

The wreckage of his craft and the body of Campbell were not recovered until May 28, 2001.

Diver Bill Smith was inspired to look for the wreck after hearing the Marillion song 'Out Of This World' about Campbell and the Bluebird.

The body of Campbell was recovered soon afterwards.

Now the boat in which he died could find itself back at the bottom of Coniston Water.

Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote