Boatmad.com

Old 26-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #1

Views on a 1992 Sunseeker Carmargue 46.

I have been offered a 1992 Sunseeker Carmargue 46 with two 550hp Detroits.

Any advice or views sought from those familiar with this boat please.

Pros / Cons etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #2

Interests: fast boats......
Boat make: phantom 21, Searay 260 Ov
Engines: XR 2, 2 x 4.3 V6
Cruising area: poole bay - solent, where petrol allows

A friend had one, it seemed to really drone in terms of exhaust noise. thats all i remember.

Old 28-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

Know a little bit about them now Jon. Bought mine 2 years ago as an ex charter thinking that she would have at least been maintained a little bit.

Still loads to do but the major overhaul underneath is finished. New props, renewed all anodes, rebuilt rudder bearings, strip to gel, gel shield and antifoul that is designed to go through the water not act as a brake. Shafts out and new stern tube seals.

Reupholstered top and bottom.

One gearbox rebuilt, the other to do next year as the paper plates fall to bits. New plates are copper / bronze to stop this problem.

One engine had been rebuilt but didn't put power out, turned out to be an inverted flap up the exhaust. Other engine needs new liners when I get round to it as it is down on power. I'm told that temps is the biggest problem as heat exchangers get calcium build up and they are prone to crack a head and increased wear rates. So ignore engine hours it is more about whether they have been maintained.

Rewired the whole of one side of the boat when we had a fire on the way to see Cookee in Chatham. Turned out to be a badly fitted exhaust clamp on the rebuilt engine that restricted the water flow one side of the exhaust burning a hole through the flexi which happened to be opposite the trunking carrying a dozen battery cables, the 32 amp shore supply and sundry other bits. still got the last pair of batteries to change which I have no doubt will fail from the resultant shorts any time now.

Loads of other bits like aircon pumps, bilge pumps, new toilet pumps and pipework, rebuild radio cupboard to increase gin storage, new ice maker, new sound system, etc, etc.

Left to do is to renew the dashboard after the all the nice new Garmin stuff I have put in, a new worktop for the kitchen and take the nasty paint off the gunwhales put there to cover the gelled stripes.

Very nice boat, I particularly like the separate rear cabin as it gives my girls their own space.

Yes they drone but they go well. Haven't come across a Fairline, Princess, Sealine yet that can stay with us yet in a heavy sea. And when we arrive the other end we don't have as much gear to pick up off the cabin floor. Open cockpit that looks as though you should get wet in a heavy sea but we stay dry when the flybridge guys are running for the inside.

They drink diesel like it is going out of fashion when you open the taps but it gives me a warm feeling knowing I'm doing my bit for the environment. In truth we use the same diesel on a trip as most other similar sized boats if you go at their speed.

PM me if you want any more.
Old 28-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

Sunseeker 46 Canargue

A fairly good summary, but unfortunately, Motorvator has skipped the most important design fault of this craft. Essentially, the portdeck passenger entry/exit axis is multi aligned, which means that entry angle is completely different to the exit angle.
After a few hours of moored craft orientation, it becomes apparent that the exit angle differs to the entry angle, causing a swift crew downward slide and an unexpected introduction to the pontoon. Even a 50 m knee crawl doesn't fully dispel the disorientation, leading to a further falling up and then down the steps of the Motorhome.
This is a dangerous craft in the wrong hands.
Barrie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Engine tester

Interests: Gin & Women
Boat name: motorvator
Boat make: Revenger San Marino / Sunseeker Camargue 46 / Phantom 18/19/600
Engines: 502 mercruiser / Detroit 550s / 115 ProXS / Anything Borrowed
Cruising area: Thames, Southend

A valid problem brought up there and I would advise that, if inviting that particular extended family on board for canapes, the rear cabin hatch is also kept locked as dragging an ageing powerboat racer out of the cabin having fallen backwards down the hole, victim of a laughing fit at one of his own anecdotes is not to be taken on by the average crew and should be left to emergency services.

Tossing a further bottle of teachers down said hole will help keep the patient quiet until they arrive.

I would add that the female members of said family are an absolute pleasure as company and the opportunity to have a sly grope whilst helping them overboard is actually to be seen a benefit of the vessel.

The Welshman is safer to just leave where he falls.
Old 29-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Boat name: vodka express/smoking aces
Boat make: liberator 221/extreme 24
Engines: 7.4 v8 8.2 v8
Cruising area: Portsmouth

Not sure if it's the same one that was on eBay earlier this year... Cheap boat if it is.

I've spoken to a friend, and he says the Detroit diesels are a no no.

I like the boat, and just what I was told re engines.