Boatmad.com

Old 30-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Water ingress - Sharpe 19'

Myself and a pal recently took on a bit of a project boat in the form of (what we believe is, but are happy to be corrected) a Sharpe 19'. She had stood for a few years, but is now up and running again.

They main area of concern is the fact that she is taking on water, nothing silly, but enough to warrant further investigations. No obvious damage to the hull and the plug hole/bug is holding water in, so I guess nothing is going the other way. Any advice gratefully received - thinking it might be worth pulling the lower engine mount bolts out and refitting with fresh sealant?

Also, if anyone knows any history on the boat, that would be awesome. She is called 'Fast & Furious' and has a 150 Mariner on the back. I'll try and attached some pics!

Cheers,
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1094.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	49251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	49252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	49253  

rowey200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 10:49 PM   #2

Interests: lots
Boat make: scorpion 8.1
Engines: 250HO
Cruising area: solent

Does it on,y take on water when it is afloat? Some boats acumulqte a lot of water ashore.

If you have a bilge pump, check that the outlet isabive waterline considerably, and even if it is, make an anti syphon loop in the hose. So make it go up high and then loop back down to bilge. My outlets are about 2” above waterline, but without a loop it fills through bilge pump. I tried a nrv in line and that didnt work.

glen76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen76 View Post
Does it on,y take on water when it is afloat? Some boats acumulqte a lot of water ashore.

If you have a bilge pump, check that the outlet isabive waterline considerably, and even if it is, make an anti syphon loop in the hose. So make it go up high and then loop back down to bilge. My outlets are about 2” above waterline, but without a loop it fills through bilge pump. I tried a nrv in line and that didnt work.
Cheers for the advice Glen :-) There is definitely water getting in as the boat was bone dry before she went in the water, and it was salt water in the boat when she was pulled out.

The bilge pump outlet is a really good shout, not thought of that Thinking about it, the boat was sitting quite low when not on the move as we had 3 on board plus 12 gallons of fuel aft when we set out (plumping in the bow fuel tank is next on the list). I wouldn't be surprised if water was flowing straight into the outlet at times. I'll rework the hose as you advise and see what happens when we next hit the water Many thanks
rowey200 is offline   Reply With Quote