Boatmad.com

Old 10-10-2006, 08:47 PM   #1

Boat make: Fletcher Arrowflyte
Engines: Mercury 75

What constitutes 'High Mileage' for an outboard?

Just noticed today that the hour-meter on my outboard is reading 227hrs. If you add the 20ish running-in hours before I fitted the hour-meter, then that means the engine's run about 250hrs.

Is that a lot? Or only just run in?

The engine is a 1992 Mercury 75, on a Fletcher 14ft; first used in 1994. Main use is waterskiing, so stop/start & hard acceleration. I've had the engine from new and looked after it.

I'm quite happy with high mileage cars but I've no idea what kind of life you'd expect from an outboard. A quick calculation shows 250hrs on a car would probably be around 7500 miles i.e. nothing.

What hours are your engines showing?

TheOrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #2

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

Re: What constitutes 'High Mileage' for an outboard?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOrs
Just noticed today that the hour-meter on my outboard is reading 227hrs. If you add the 20ish running-in hours before I fitted the hour-meter, then that means the engine's run about 250hrs.

Is that a lot? Or only just run in?

The engine is a 1992 Mercury 75, on a Fletcher 14ft; first used in 1994. Main use is waterskiing, so stop/start & hard acceleration. I've had the engine from new and looked after it.

I'm quite happy with high mileage cars but I've no idea what kind of life you'd expect from an outboard. A quick calculation shows 250hrs on a car would probably be around 7500 miles i.e. nothing.

What hours are your engines showing?
Mines done 150 hours now (four Stroke 100HP YAMAHA), i have done 50 hours this year. The manual relates about 200 hours to a years service. And that the timming belt should be replaced every 1000 hours or 5 years. Not sure if this is a direct comparision but cars normally have their belts done at 60,000 miles and a car has had a good innings at 100,000 miles so maybe 1,400 hours is a good innings for an outboard? God knows!!!! Anyone else?

When looking at boats i was trying to work out how many hours an inboard is good for but never found the answer, I came accross a Mercury 2 stroke 135 that had done 62 hours but it was completely screwed and had alreday had one head replaced by the looks of it.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #3

Boat name: LILY THE PINK AND TERMINATOR 11
Boat make: PHANTOM 21 AND 20
Engines: 2.5 EFI X 2

They reckon 10 hours on a drag motor, 100 ish on a 2.5 efi and a 1000 on a 300 promax before a rebuild. I guess its got a lot to do with how you look after them ,how you run them, and which oil you use.
roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 PM   #4

Interests: Boats, Surfing & Snowboarding
Boat name: Isabella / Cool Runnings II / Bella / Sea Pup / Sea Dog / Speedy II / Bernico F3
Boat make: Colvic 35 Suncruiser / Bernico F3 / Phantom 16 / Zodiac 420 YL / RIB / Apollo 9
Engines: 2 x Perkins Sabre 225ti / Mercury Pro XS /Mercury Pro XS 115/ Tohatsu 2.5 / Mercury 25 / Mercury 50
Cruising area: Thames Estuary / River Crouch / Salcombe

Quote:
Originally posted by roofer
They reckon 10 hours on a drag motor, 100 ish on a 2.5 efi and a 1000 on a 300 promax before a rebuild. I guess its got a lot to do with how you look after them ,how you run them, and which oil you use.
I averaged 12 - 15 hours on an XR2 - Never again this years boating has been turn key trouble free