Leave my hub out of this :P

Old 28-04-2005, 03:40 PM   #22
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt
What did you have your one fitted to jw?
It was on my previous rib. Fitted to Merc 200, moved to OMC 150 and then to Suzi 200. It adapted to all of them, never lost grip in turns or when surfaced, softened the ride markedly when cresting the waves and always gripped on re-entry. It did away with all the mucking about with prop pitch which you are reading in this thread. In big seas at slow speed it pitched down and gave plenty of power for climbing the wave faces and a brill response to the throttle. It did a nice wee trick...locked steering over, blipped the throttle firmly and the boat lay on its side and swapped ends in its own length. You had to be quick off the throttle or you ended up where you started.

The boat was sold to divers 2 years ago and, by coincidence, I've just received an email from them. In it they say the Suzi and prop are still, there words, perfect. The torqueshift was never designed with this sort of use in mind but, apparenty, it launches 10 divers with full kit without a problem. The prop they have is the 11" to 26" solid hub. I've still got the other one and I'm keeping it for the day I might need it.

Old 28-04-2005, 03:53 PM   #23
numbskull

Interests: none
Boat name: Leviathan
Boat make: Phantom 28
Cruising area: South Coast

I've always been amazed that the wee stub axles/bearings don't wear out, and end up wiz wiggly wobbly blades

"I Agree with everything you say really!" - John Cooke to Jon Fuller - 26-01-2013
Jon Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2005, 04:07 PM   #24
jw.

Interests: Hole maker
Boat make: Humber Ocean Offshore
Engines: KAD 300/DPX

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnson
I've always been amazed that the wee stub axles/bearings don't wear out, and end up wiz wiggly wobbly blades
The blade stubs don't but the bearings do. They are a service item, made from a composite material and lined with a thin layer of slippery plastic. You just score them with a hacksaw blade until they collapse and then push in new ones. Afterwards, run a drill down the cam pin holes to make the hole in the bush so the cam follower pins can slide into the cams. It takes about half a hour to do all 3.

They lasted me about 2 seasons. They seem to be lasting the divers a bit longer... or they're a bit wobbly by now.