Boatmad.com

Old 25-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #21

Boat name: V13
Boat make: V24 batboat
Engines: 5.7 320hp
Cruising area: SOUTHCOAST

[QUOTE= This was done with the full knowledge of ORDA, and RMYC as they are the next two races on the calendar and is due to be discussed at tomorrow's ORC, so we await their decision after this proposal has been given due consideration.

regarding the 150 question,we should be telling the rya what we want ,not asking what can we have,after all it is OUR sport not theirs

RHINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #22

Interests: Skiving
Boat make: Spectre 30
Engines: 2 x Promax 225
Cruising area: In the bath

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO View Post

regarding the 150 question,we should be telling the rya what we want ,not asking what can we have,after all it is OUR sport not theirs

At last, someone who understands the problem!

Old 25-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #23

Interests: PowerBoat Racing
Boat name: If Only
Boat make: Bernico F3 OCR, Bernico Prototype Inboard, and some Ribs
Engines: Yamaha Pro V 115
Cruising area: UK, France

Wink

[QUOTE=RHINO;219482][QUOTE= This was done with the full knowledge of ORDA, and RMYC as they are the next two races on the calendar and is due to be discussed at tomorrow's ORC, so we await their decision after this proposal has been given due consideration.

regarding the 150 question,we should be telling the rya what we want ,not asking what can we have,after all it is OUR sport not theirs[/QUOTE]

The classes as they stand are exactly as proposed. By those that were listened to ! There was Only 1 150 team at cuxton and another pre empting that it might change
Old 25-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #24

150 is the way forward,
Old 25-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
THE Navigator !!

Interests: Offshore, F1, Any motorsport!
Boat name: Invincible V
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: South Coast

150 class?

Vote with your boats people!

It's all well and good saying there is this boat and that boat that want to race but the bull**** stops when entries appear......
If boats appear, things can move forward ?!!!!

Only my own opinion of course......

J

Image courtesy of Dave Ormiston.
www.islandoffshorephotography.co.uk
Jayrjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #26

jayray,owners are voting with their boats thats why there are NO entrys,no one agrees with the current rules or how sport is being run
Old 25-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #27

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

All seems a touch complicated to me, no wonder nobody's entering.

Why try to create so many classes to suit everyone out there, you're just going back to having 2 boats per class spread across 5 classes, rather than 10 in one big class.
You'll never make a class system to suit everyone in any old boat, hence why we are going with a handicap system.
Everyone can race together as one big class and everyone no matter what the budget stands an equal chance of winning if they drive the best on that day. As an extra bonus, it removes the need for any governing of engines etc, and stops people fitting stupidly large engines to small rigs creating dangerous boats as consistency is key rather than outright speed.
It's racing at the end of the day so no one can tell me people will just build slow boats.
Add to that, it encourages the use of modern green engines as you'll stay equal, rather than always wanting to use the old 2 strokes for that extra bit of speed. No point when it's reliability you want.

The only other way is to create two simple classes such as 150 and 300, then leave it to everyone to join the appropriate class. Over a couple of years people will want to be competitive so will buy the best engine for their class and before you know it you've got two strong classes!

All just my 2p obviously but it seems we've built a good strong basic racing scene so we must be doing something right. I guess we'll see how it goes this year!

Without wishing to hi-jack the thread, anyone is welcome to join us for a weekend or for the season if you want to be a part of a proper, organised season of racing one event a month with TV coverage etc. The more I can get on condor the cheaper the rates will be! I can store boats here too.

All the best,

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
THE Navigator !!

Interests: Offshore, F1, Any motorsport!
Boat name: Invincible V
Boat make: B23
Engines: 200XS
Cruising area: South Coast

Communication!

Communication is a two way street Brian, competitors need to talk to their clubs, the clubs need to talk to each other and establish who wants to run and with what boat/engine combinations.
To the best of my knowledge several proposals were put forward to the orc and they then took a decision on how to move things forward for this year.
Personally i think that the 13, possibly 15 entries for torquay is very healthy and certainly better than any entry last year ?
Therefore your comment of no one entering or no one being happy does not stand up?!!!
If a class re jig / tweek is needed, then those who want it/are unhappy with the current rules/situation should communicate in a correct manner to the correct people who can then propose the idea to orc/rya??
Everybody should be catered for and no one should feel upset or left out. At the end of the day we all just want to race?
We as competitors are the sport but if we dont communicate our wishes how is anybody supposed to improve it?

Again, just my own opinion....

J

Image courtesy of Dave Ormiston.
www.islandoffshorephotography.co.uk
Jayrjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #29
MB1

Personal comments NOT ORDA

Yet again it seems to me that nobody wants to put their view forward when its needed and that everybody wants to complain when things are not exactly as they want it.

In relation to the 150hp issue we issued a statement from ORDA at the begining of March, asking for views from anybody interested as to whether they thought a 150hp class had any merits to it.

Response to this was ZERO. Not a single person made any comment whatsoever either good or bad.

I personally, alongside the SEPA comittee at the SEPA AGM tried to explain the whole idea behind the British Club Championship, and again put forward the idea of the 150hp class. There was a reasonable response from SEPA members towards this idea, and hence SEPA put forward a proposal to amend the structure to include 150hp as a stand alone class.

We also made it clear that it needs support from the racers, and that potentially it could be a great class.

We offered support to anybody requiring assistance to enter races here on boatmad. Zero response.

We stated that anybody having any issues at club levels should e mail myself or Neil Jackson rather than air dirty laundry in public. Zero Response.

Yet here we are again with everybody jumping to conclusions and undermining the whole thing before it has even had a chance to start. Moaning about ridiculous things like race number prefixes and that we have not created a 150hp class, when that is exactly what we have tried to do.

Everybody needs to remember that without the BCC proposal, there would only be 3b national class left to race in, and only four boats or so in that class.

3C has in effect gone due to the enforced canopy rule.
V24 has in effect gone with nearly all boats being sold overseas.
OCR seem to me to be on the verge of dissapearing given the problems with side impact protection etc.
Marathon is financially beyond the reach of most people.

Therfore what do you all think you are going to race if indeed you want to race, if you allow this to continue.

Having raced for 12 years now I can tell you that I for one have no interest in racing in a class where I am the only boat, and I am fast reaching the point where even I dont know if I can be bothered anymore because of the destructive attitude of certain people the competitor level.

Whilst I lay some blame at the RYA's door I also blame us as racers for this sorry state of affairs.

Allhallows, which was always a really good fun as far as I am concerned, apparantly spiralled out of control at the weekend due to the behaviour of the RACERS!!!

Clubs are unable to say with any degree of certainty what races they can run because of the racers complete lack of comitment to the clubs.

Classes are almost impossible to sort out because for some reason nobody will say what they want yet can't wait to have a go when the classes dont suit them.

We need to look at ourselves as racers (I include myself in this) and ask ourselves what we should be doing for the good of the sport that will help it continue.

The first thing we need to do is stop all this ridiculous bickering, enter the races, and simply make the best of a bad job.

This I accept will not be perfect to start with, but over time, with well supported races, the clubs can then between us start to change things by working together.

Classes can be fine tuned over time, and I take the point about a handicap system as a constructive comment, so that we end up with good fun close and affordable racing for as many boats as possible.

Once we do all this then we can with some degree of power start to change things at a higher then club level. However while we are 1 or 2 boats in a class how do you think we can do this.

In summary and I apologise for the rant, we need to pull together if we really want to fix this problem. We need to all sometimes accept things when they dont go our way, and we all need to get behind the clubs and enter the races in whatever boats we an get on the water.

Without this we are in our last year or UK powerboat racing in my opinion.
MB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #30

Interests: Boats , bikes!
Boat name: Renegade
Boat make: GPV-RENEGADE
Engines: 150 HO etec
Cruising area: Thames, south coast, anywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larby View Post
All seems a touch complicated to me, no wonder nobody's entering.

Why try to create so many classes to suit everyone out there, you're just going back to having 2 boats per class spread across 5 classes, rather than 10 in one big class.
You'll never make a class system to suit everyone in any old boat, hence why we are going with a handicap system.
Everyone can race together as one big class and everyone no matter what the budget stands an equal chance of winning if they drive the best on that day. As an extra bonus, it removes the need for any governing of engines etc, and stops people fitting stupidly large engines to small rigs creating dangerous boats as consistency is key rather than outright speed.
It's racing at the end of the day so no one can tell me people will just build slow boats.
Add to that, it encourages the use of modern green engines as you'll stay equal, rather than always wanting to use the old 2 strokes for that extra bit of speed. No point when it's reliability you want.

The only other way is to create two simple classes such as 150 and 300, then leave it to everyone to join the appropriate class. Over a couple of years people will want to be competitive so will buy the best engine for their class and before you know it you've got two strong classes!

All just my 2p obviously but it seems we've built a good strong basic racing scene so we must be doing something right. I guess we'll see how it goes this year!

Without wishing to hi-jack the thread, anyone is welcome to join us for a weekend or for the season if you want to be a part of a proper, organised season of racing one event a month with TV coverage etc. The more I can get on condor the cheaper the rates will be! I can store boats here too.

All the best,

James
Hi James, how does your handicap system work please? how have you guys found it ( honestly) and what flaws did you find (if any)and how did you rectify it? i am asking as there must be something in it.
All the best
Paul
Old 25-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #31

Boat make: None, boo!
Engines: Turbines mainly!
Cruising area: The inside of my workshop!

We've not tried the handicap system yet, it's new for this year but seems pretty bulletproof on paper...

First race is May 13th so we'll find out then!

Handicap system is complicated to describe but simple as anything to use. it's a rolling handicap that changes with every race to keep up to date.

It works with average speed based on the fastest 3 laps of each race, used to give a time lapse for a staggered start at the beginning of the race.
Whilst some will say that the race start is the best bit, it's also quite dangerous and daunting for new racers. For the viewing public, the race then also peters out gradually through the time.
With staggered starts, the race builds throughout to a close finish between all. It's basically a version of hare and hound racing.
As another bonus, the smaller slower boats get to spend most of the race at the front, rather than trailing about at the back as usual. Bigger boats that usually just cruise around in front never seeing anyone else have to spend the whole race catching everyone! With it not being obvious where people will finish until the very end, everyone has to push as hard as they can for the whole race, no time to be complacent!

As I say, it's tricky to describe but I'm confident it'll work brilliantly, best way is to either come and watch or come and race!

Most important of all is the professional, friendly, well organised environment we run our races in. Everyone's friends over here, it's racing the way it used to be. Ask any local racer how great it is!!

James

https://www.jl-innovation.co.uk

The true test of a man is how he treats someone of absolutely no use to him.
larby is offline   Reply With Quote